Glen-L Marine "Hercules" custom trawler/tug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is the most economical, fully equiped cruising boat that can be trailered and towed without permits in all 50 states.* A few years ago the trailer and my tow rig combined, would have been too long for Georgia, that state I live in, but the restriction was changed making me legal now.* I have never been weighed but according to the weight specs at Glen-L Marine and estimating my all steel 34' trailer, and equipment aboard...I guess around 9-10 thousand lbs.* It tows easily behind the Ford F-350 I bought partially for the task...(I always wanted one anyway).* A smaller vehicle would have towed it fine, but I wanted better.

The boat....I wish I had built her.* I have all of the ability it takes, but I was into larger boats for years.* I started boating like many, due to my dad and his interest.* He built a few small boats...a 16' ski boat and an 18' cabin cruiser back in the 50's...I helped.** I have built a few small boats and restored a few large boats.* My first cruiser was a 25' Chris Craft Cavalier.* I would line up my several children on the cockpit seat with pfds and fishing poles in hand...we had a ball.* I then moved up to a 28' Owens Flagship, a 35' Chris Craft Roamer, a 56' Chris Craft Roamer, and a Roughwater 41'.

I bought this boat mostly because of the*<u>cost</u> of my "habit".* Marinas were costing $500 - $600 per month and hauling a 56' steel boat for a complete bottom job in Savannah would mean...Palmer Johnson...eeek at $13,000.* This is when I started re-thinking my "habit".* I wanted to be able to comfortably afford the boat and the maintenance and that would enhance the pleasure.

Back to why this boat is the "ideal" trailerable trawler.** She has everything and more than any other boat I have owned.* I have the basics, like fish finder/depth, vhf, loran-c, stand-alone chartplotter, coastal explorer on my laptop, auto pilot, and radar.* She even had a cb on board the PO used to talk with his cruising friends...I removed it.

Other systems include head with holding, shower with hot water from ac or engine cooling system, hydronic cabin heater from engine cooling system, raw water washdown pump, Dickerson solid fuel stove, alcohol/electric cooktop, huge Norcold refrigerated cooler in countertop that will drop to -5 on 12V, full galley, holds 40 gallons of fresh water and 80 gallons of fuel.* A Perkins M-30 with 29 hp that cruises at 7 kts with a maximum speed of 9 kts.* She burns 1/2 gallon per hour at 7 kts in calm water.

I have it parked in my driveway right now.* The local codes require me to park in the back yard due to my corner lot.* I haven't gotten any complaints from neighbors...all I know, like to watch my progress and stop by to say hello....but someday it may have to be moved to the back.** I really like being able to open the garage where all of the tools are and build my projects there and on the boat.* I have cable tv on the boat and the shore plug is plugged in my garage all of the time for heat or air-conditioning as needed.* The lcd/cd player tv is great while I am working inside.

Enough for now...as you can tell I have bonded with the boat and we are in love!* Can't wait to take her out and try my new radar, swim platform and nav programs out!*

-- Edited by Bob Clinkenbeard at 09:31, 2007-12-16

Attachments

• mazda 626 050.jpg
    mazda 626 050.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 723
  • mazda 626 054.jpg
    mazda 626 054.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 494
Hi Doug,
It is a Glen-L Marine plans built boat.* It was built in 1993 by her previous love, Louie.* He was a retired airman and his friend built the boat.* The boat is overbuilt with an extra layer on the bottom and sides making it 3/4" glassed over with epoxy.* They did a great job and I have made a few improvements in the last year I have owned her.* All of the wiring is tinned with soldered connections and again overbuilt.* I was very lucky to find the boat at a good price due to some repairs needed.* If anyone is interested, I have pictures during construction and I can post some here or on my website.
Thanks for asking.

Bob, can you tell me what type of Auto pilot you are using on your boat? I want to install a system on my vessel.* I am assuming you have hydraulic steering,* thanks.
My name is a Bob

Very nice boats fellas. Post away. I'd never get tired of looking at those.

Bob and Bob----

That is a very useful looking boat you both have. I would expect a trailerable trawler would be equally versatile in the south and the Pacific Northwest. I'm not familiar with the south, but in the PNW there are a lot of places that are easily accessible by road. We have trailered our 17' Arima to Telegraph Cove at the upper end of Johnstone Strait where we have the whole of Blackfish Sound, the Broughton Archipelego, the Wallace Group, Knight and Fife inlets, etc accessible to us. Of course the Arima is just a day boat--- with something like the Hercules you could spend months cruising the area.

Farther up the coast, you could trailer on good highways to Prince Rupert or on not-as-good highways to Bella Coola for cruises at the upper end of the Inside Passage or the middle section respectively.

Or if you were really adventurous (and could afford the truck fuel) you could haul it across to Lake Superior.

I'm curious about one thing--- in terms of height is it comparable to a semi-tractor trailer? In other words, could you load it on one of the BC ferries, either the big Georgia Strait boats or the Port Hardy-Prince Rupert boats?

Hey,

*I have a 26 foot Hercules Trawler on a 6000 series trailer, check it out! Grace is a great boat. *
biggrin.gif

Here are some other boats I learned my leason with before I got Grace. I built that Phill Bolger Idaho. Still have it, thats the fun one.

T

-- Edited by TTBELICH at 22:21, 2009-03-09

Attachments

• helm.jpg
    helm.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 3,794
  • imgp6218.jpg
    imgp6218.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 427
  • dscn3932.jpg
    dscn3932.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 365
  • 991480485_9443c67135.jpg
    991480485_9443c67135.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 358
  • p2220101.jpg
    p2220101.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 406
  • lg4.jpg
    lg4.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 377
  • catalina078.jpg
    catalina078.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 429
  • catalina077.jpg
    catalina077.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 1,030
  • catalina071.jpg
    catalina071.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 589
  • grace.jpg
    grace.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 444
  • dscn4111.jpg
    dscn4111.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 525
  • img_1354.jpg
    img_1354.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 663
  • img_0802.jpg
    img_0802.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 380
  • img_0835.jpg
    img_0835.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 407
  • img_1514.jpg
    img_1514.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 402
  • dscn0052.jpg
    dscn0052.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 423
Very nice there T !!!!!!....Beautiful ladies!!!

Travis,

We looked at a Glen-L ( but I think it was a 28 ) just before buying our Willard. It had the same Perkins 4-107 as the Willard had. We still like that cabin configuration better than anything else. The Willard is the same except it has the aft cabin at the same height as the wheelhouse, a huge storage hold below and two tons of ballast in the keel.
What in Gods green earth was the matter w that fish boat w the large dry stack. That looks like a truly exciting trawler boat. Would be a stretch to trailer though.

Eric Henning

Eric,

That is a pic of the 32 foot 1938 Monterey Clipper I had at one point. It had a Detroit 2 53 in it with a supercharger. She was a real sea boat. I bought it off a guy in Wilmington Ca. for 4 k. I sold it because the engine was just exposed in the middle of the wheelhouse and it was like being in an engine room on a freighter.

Other than that it was a go anywhere in any weather type of boat! It had a 3 inch shaft, 3 to 1 reduction and 26 inch prop. Very good work boat but no room to sit... I sold it to a guy who had it moved over land back to Monterey bay. He has since restored it and its on display somewhere over there. Google Monterey clipper they still have a fleet of them at fishermans warf.

I like the Willards they have the same double end as the Monterey and nice lines.

T
smile.gif

Hello Bob, does your little trawler have an auto pilot, if so can you provide any information as I would like to install a system on my Hercules trawler KNOT IN A Hurry

Bob Kay

Hi guys, I'm looking at a Glen-L Hercules but need a trailer. They sell some nice aluminum trailers that have two bunks one for each side two shorter ones for the bow and a lowered frame for the keel probably 10"to12" for the keel. Does anyone on the blog have any experience with this.
Thanks
Butch

Hi guys, I'm looking at a Glen-L Hercules but need a trailer. They sell some nice aluminum trailers that have two bunks one for each side two shorter ones for the bow and a lowered frame for the keel probably 10"to12" for the keel. Does anyone on the blog have any experience with this.
Thanks
Butch
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here. Be sure the trailer meets or preferably exceeds the weight of the boat for a margin of safety. The bunks should be adjustable to a point to allow the trailer to fit the boat. Any boat that's trailered needs support all the way to the transom to prevent a keel hog or hull hook at the transom. The GL Herc is a full framed boat and very strong. The bunk wood should have rounded edges and covered in carpet. Some newer trailers use a synthetic covering that I'm not sure what it's made of. Soft synthetic keel rollers would be good for that boat. The black rubber ones will leave scuffs on almost any hull. I like a fitted bow stop covered in carpet that helps support the bow.

I would get drawings of the hull and send them to a couple of trailer manufacturers and see what they come up with. The larger manufacturers have probably built trailers for similar boats.

TT,
“a 3” shaft ..... there’s your ballast unless it was aluminum.
I had an old canoe stern troller that had a 302 GMC gas engine in the middle of the wheelhouse. Took it out ASAP. Put a 4cyl Palmer gas engine in the old fish hold aft and it worked great.
I looked at a Monterey in Seattle w a 4cyl Buda. Was for sale at the Center for Wooden Boats.

Thanks
Butch

My 27’ Coastal Cruiser (very similar to a Hercules) sits on an EZLoader on rollers. Launches and retrieves easily. IMG_1808.jpg

This is the most economical, fully equiped cruising boat that can be trailered and towed without permits in all 50 states.* A few years ago the trailer and my tow rig combined, would have been too long for Georgia, that state I live in, but the restriction was changed making me legal now.* I have never been weighed but according to the weight specs at Glen-L Marine and estimating my all steel 34' trailer, and equipment aboard...I guess around 9-10 thousand lbs.* It tows easily behind the Ford F-350 I bought partially for the task...(I always wanted one anyway).* A smaller vehicle would have towed it fine, but I wanted better.

The boat....I wish I had built her.* I have all of the ability it takes, but I was into larger boats for years.* I started boating like many, due to my dad and his interest.* He built a few small boats...a 16' ski boat and an 18' cabin cruiser back in the 50's...I helped.** I have built a few small boats and restored a few large boats.* My first cruiser was a 25' Chris Craft Cavalier.* I would line up my several children on the cockpit seat with pfds and fishing poles in hand...we had a ball.* I then moved up to a 28' Owens Flagship, a 35' Chris Craft Roamer, a 56' Chris Craft Roamer, and a Roughwater 41'.

I bought this boat mostly because of the*<u>cost</u> of my "habit".* Marinas were costing $500 - $600 per month and hauling a 56' steel boat for a complete bottom job in Savannah would mean...Palmer Johnson...eeek at $13,000.* This is when I started re-thinking my "habit".* I wanted to be able to comfortably afford the boat and the maintenance and that would enhance the pleasure.

Back to why this boat is the "ideal" trailerable trawler.** She has everything and more than any other boat I have owned.* I have the basics, like fish finder/depth, vhf, loran-c, stand-alone chartplotter, coastal explorer on my laptop, auto pilot, and radar.* She even had a cb on board the PO used to talk with his cruising friends...I removed it.

Other systems include head with holding, shower with hot water from ac or engine cooling system, hydronic cabin heater from engine cooling system, raw water washdown pump, Dickerson solid fuel stove, alcohol/electric cooktop, huge Norcold refrigerated cooler in countertop that will drop to -5 on 12V, full galley, holds 40 gallons of fresh water and 80 gallons of fuel.* A Perkins M-30 with 29 hp that cruises at 7 kts with a maximum speed of 9 kts.* She burns 1/2 gallon per hour at 7 kts in calm water.

I have it parked in my driveway right now.* The local codes require me to park in the back yard due to my corner lot.* I haven't gotten any complaints from neighbors...all I know, like to watch my progress and stop by to say hello....but someday it may have to be moved to the back.** I really like being able to open the garage where all of the tools are and build my projects there and on the boat.* I have cable tv on the boat and the shore plug is plugged in my garage all of the time for heat or air-conditioning as needed.* The lcd/cd player tv is great while I am working inside.

Enough for now...as you can tell I have bonded with the boat and we are in love!* Can't wait to take her out and try my new radar, swim platform and nav programs out!*

-- Edited by Bob Clinkenbeard at 09:31, 2007-12-16

Bob, Great to see Hercules‘ out there. My - new to me- 27’ Coastal Cruiser is very similar. I‘d be very interested in seeing your interior build out as I’m about to rehab the interior on mine - and adding a few improvements.

IMG_1808.jpgView attachment 1

Bob, Great to see Hercules‘ out there. My - new to me- 27’ Coastal Cruiser is very similar. I‘d be very interested in seeing your interior build out as I’m about to rehab the interior on mine - and adding a few improvements.

View attachment 97081View attachment 1

Also interested in your swim platform. Need to add one to mine. Was hoping to find something that could fold up for transport and tight slips. Are your build photos posted somewhere?

Travis, great Hercules! I have a Coastal Cruiser - a very similar Hankinson design. Would love to learn more about yours as I am about to rehab the interior of mine and make some other fixes. Would like to add a fold-up swim platform (mine is an i/o drive) and it needs a ladder to the roof. Do you mind sharing interior pix? What is on your mast? What other improvements did you make when you got it? How is it powered?

Hercules

Thanks
Butch

Did you end up buying the Hercules? Any photos?

Current Hercules owner

I am actually the current owner of the Hercules that belonged to the person who started this thread. He mentioned the original builder, Louie Jiran, and I am not sure if he bought the boat from him or someone else. He renamed it Bobbin Bob. Another owner in Vermont named it Iris. I bought it from Pete Hall from Albany who named it The Dirty Tug and painted it all black.
I have been renovating it and replacing a lot of rotted wood and ground off all the many layers of paint and reprimed and painted with Awlgrip. Just recently took out all the leaking windows and replaced the rubber seals with frames and rebedded the glass.
Bought an old trailer after I got the boat and reworked it to hold the boat. Had a local marina pull with their forklift and put on the trailer and now it sits in my yard where I can work on it.
If anyone has any info on the history of L's Belle, Iris, Bobbin Bob, The Dirty Tug, and now, Farside, drop me a line!

Attachments

• IMG_3732.jpg
    IMG_3732.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3734.jpg
    IMG_3734.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3741.jpg
    IMG_3741.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3735.jpg
    IMG_3735.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3737.jpg
    IMG_3737.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2832.jpg
    IMG_2832.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2725.jpg
    IMG_2725.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 36
Hello ksipes1. Congrats on your Hercules. Nice work. I have the Coastal Cruiser (still nameless) shown in posts on this thread and will start a complete interior remodel later this spring. Interested in staying in touch on your remodel. In particular eyeing turning one of the forward facing helm windows into a openable hatch to the foredeck.

Also thinking about adding a swim platform. Did you add yours or did it come with it?

Glen-L Hercules "Farside"

I am pretty much done with the renovation. Just doing some cleaning and painting in the interior and removing some obsolete stuff not needed. Its ready to paint the bottom and put it back in the water.
The platform brackets the thread starter had were on the boat when I bought it with some pressure treated wood on them. I got rid of the wood and bought some 2"x 6" composite black deck board and made the platform and put a folding stainless ladder and ss handles on it. You can see it in the last picture in my last post.

Glen L Hercules

This is just a wild shot....Looking to make a model of this lil trawler yacht have alway loved her lines....Is there anyone out ther who may have the lines drawing for her...either out of a magazine or actual print
May be contacted via email - mytele@shaw.ca
Thanks in advance
Billy

I am actually the current owner of the Hercules that belonged to the person who started this thread. He mentioned the original builder, Louie Jiran, and I am not sure if he bought the boat from him or someone else. He renamed it Bobbin Bob. Another owner in Vermont named it Iris. I bought it from Pete Hall from Albany who named it The Dirty Tug and painted it all black.
I have been renovating it and replacing a lot of rotted wood and ground off all the many layers of paint and reprimed and painted with Awlgrip. Just recently took out all the leaking windows and replaced the rubber seals with frames and rebedded the glass.
Bought an old trailer after I got the boat and reworked it to hold the boat. Had a local marina pull with their forklift and put on the trailer and now it sits in my yard where I can work on it.
If anyone has any info on the history of L's Belle, Iris, Bobbin Bob, The Dirty Tug, and now, Farside, drop me a line!
I don't know if you are still active here, but I am the original poster, Bob. The boat was named BOBBIN ALONG, not Bobbin Bob. Louie was the original builder and I was the second owner. Awesome little boat and amazed how far it has traveled since I sold it and it cruised up from Savannah to I think Maryland with the new owner. It has been back and forth and as far as the keys from what I can tell.

This is just a wild shot....Looking to make a model of this lil trawler yacht have alway loved her lines....Is there anyone out ther who may have the lines drawing for her...either out of a magazine or actual print
May be contacted via email - mytele@shaw.ca
Thanks in advance
Billy

Just do a search for Glen L Marine and the boat is called Hercules. They sell plans, etc.
Bob original poster

I am pretty much done with the renovation. Just doing some cleaning and painting in the interior and removing some obsolete stuff not needed. Its ready to paint the bottom and put it back in the water.
The platform brackets the thread starter had were on the boat when I bought it with some pressure treated wood on them. I got rid of the wood and bought some 2"x 6" composite black deck board and made the platform and put a folding stainless ladder and ss handles on it. You can see it in the last picture in my last post.

I am the original poster..The swim platform I built was made of solid cherry wood. It was originally sealed with several coats of polyurethane clear. It didn't hold up all that well. Too bad, it was a lot of work.
Bob Clinkenbeard

I have been looking at a Glen L 31 trawler, trying to find as much info as I can before we go back to see it again on Saturday.

Last edited:
I think one of the key issues with a Glen L boat is who built it. If a private individual what was their boat building experience. Related to that is will you be able to insure it especially if owner built.

Back
Top Bottom