Carirns/Great Barrier Reef, Tahiti or Fiji in February

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pau Hana

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Pau Hana
Vessel Make
1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
This is directed mainly to the TF Aussie contingent for their local knowledge, but all opinions are welcome....

My fiance' just surprised me with an early birthday gift (only because she wants my assistance in planning)- she is taking me to either Fiji, Tahiti, or Australia (or a combo trip) in February! I've been to Oz, but never in summer up north. Never been to any of the resort South Pacific Islands.

Any suggestions? My only requests (after I picked up my jaw up off the floor!) was for warm beaches/areas, good drinks, a chance to dice and/or fish, and a new adventure.....

USA mainland, Hawaii, Nadi (Fiji) great resorts, good fishing and diving.
After that fly to Australia (Brisbane) then go North to Cairns or Port Douglas for some insane reef fishing chasing Red Emperor, Coral Trout etc. or chase big Gt's
If you have the extra dollars get on a Nomad Sport Fishing charter absolutely the best opperator around for liveaboard fishing trips.(check them out on the net)
The other option is to go to the Whitsundays and stay on one of the Island resorts , heaps to choose from, Haymen Island (top end price) Hamilton Island various accomodation choices and fishing and dive charters available on the island.
Cheers
Benn

I think I would give Nadi a pass. The resorts on Denarau are nice but they could be anywhere on the planet and unless you have a boat and go to the islands for diving, Fiji might be a real letdown for the average American tourist.

Tahiti can be fabulous. Moorea probably has the most variety in my opinion. Tahiti itself is great, stay at a resort in Faa'a and make day trips.If you stay on Moorea, take the ferry to Papeete and vice versa.

Bora Bora is a must see for no other reason than the flight itself from Papeete and the pure magic of its appearance that makes it the poster island of the South Pacific for Americans.

If you want to reduce the culture shock and have access to all the familiar ways and means, stick to Oz or Hawaii.

Give the GBR a miss IMHO. It's too commercial. I've dived a fair bit around Australia and I have found that the Ningaloo Reef in WA is the go. I'm a QLD born and bred guy so it's got nothing to do with the fact that im biased because I live in WA but yeah it's better than the GBR and its less commercial. Besides, ill be fairing my hull in Feb so you can come and help hahaha.

If you do come to Perth give me a shout and ill do the take you around and do the touristy thing for you.

Ningaloo reef
http://www.westernaustralia.com/en/Destination/Ningaloo/9027248

There's my local watering hole
http://www.rottnestisland.com/

There's the wineries
http://www.margaretriver.com/

There's the Karri forests
http://www.australiassouthwest.com/Things_to_See_and_Do/Nature_and_Wildlife/Forests

There's Mandurah
http://www.visitmandurah.com/

The below pics are taken when we last went to Mandurah. This encounter was recorded on my Mobile phone and I took these images from that video. if you wanna watch it just search for hendo78 or the name of the video is "cruise with some little friends"

Hope this helps some.

Cheers
Matt

iPad Forum Runner

Attachments

• image-1386940099.jpg
    image-1386940099.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 81
  • image-394105550.jpg
    image-394105550.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 79
  • image-3788322382.jpg
    image-3788322382.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 83
  • image-3058343320.jpg
    image-3058343320.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 78
  • image-3635145179.jpg
    image-3635145179.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 80
  • image-1351237684.jpg
    image-1351237684.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 77
  • image-2514774629.jpg
    image-2514774629.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 86
  • image-2233757000.jpg
    image-2233757000.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 84
  • image-446947080.jpg
    image-446947080.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 82
  • image-622906248.jpg
    image-622906248.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 75
  • image-924644659.jpg
    image-924644659.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 85
  • image-1818049192.jpg
    image-1818049192.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Or...you could consider deep trolling for trout on N Zs lake Taupo. That is to die for. You can see them flashing twenty feet below you as you haul them in, the water is so clear. Just thought, and different from hot, glared beaches.

Taupo Things To Do Taupo Activities Attractions Turangi Tongariro

Taupo restaurants fine dining cuisine al-fresco cafes winery Taupo beef New Zealand

I reckon when I've finished building my boat we should meet up and go there Pete :-D

Thanks, all- the itinerary has been set; Ratotonga in the Cook Islands and Sydney! Can't wait?

Any TF Sydneysiders care to take a couple of folks from Seattle on a Harbour cruise in February/March? :)

Would be very happy to, unfortunately I think I will be in your part of the world then. What dates in March are you in Sydney?

Would be very happy to, unfortunately I think I will be in your part of the world then. What dates in March are you in Sydney?

Andy, we'll be in Sydney from the 23rd of February thru the 1st of March. Are you headed to Seattle?

No, not Seattle, Vancouver/Whistler, two of my boys have fallen in love with all things Canadian, including the girls. As I am in Zurich in February, I thought I will fly home via Canada and catch up with them. Show them who is still the No 1 skier in the family!(I think I may regret that boast)

Sorry not to be around, have a great trip.

I reckon when I've finished building my boat we should meet up and go there Pete :-D

Tell you a what Hendo. When you finish that boat, I reckon some sort of celebration would be in order. You have taken on something pretty big there.
Hang in there my man.
Hey, you're a bit of a deb hend with a camera, (as my fellow Kiwis are said to say, in Kiwispeak...)

Last edited:
Tell you a what Hendo. When you finish that boat, I reckon some sort of celebration would be in order. You have taken on something pretty big there.
Hang in there my man.
Hey, you're a bit of a deb hend with a camera, (as my fellow Kiwis are said to say, in Kiwispeak...)

Cheers for the words of support mate!

Lol I'm assuming that's is a good thing in kiwi world?

The pics are taken with my iPhone 4S. Don't have the time to muck around with my SLR camera when I'm balls deep in epoxy lol

iPad Forum Runner

Last edited:
Me too. Apart from video cam, I take all my pics now on my phone or iPad. And yes, being a dab hand at something in Kiwispeak means pretty nifty, and I think Aussies know what nifty means.

Back
Top Bottom