V-berth configuration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stu-L

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Great Escape
Vessel Make
1981 Californian
I have 1981 34ft Californian that has a big cabinet in the v-berth that I would like to remove.

Anyone done such a modification? Pictures would be great.

Attach is my configuration now

Attachments

• DSC01720.jpg
    DSC01720.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 220
Looks like you presently have 2.5 bunks (or 2 bunks and a settee) in the forward cabin. How many people do you plan to have sleep aboard? Seems most all boats have a surplus of beds compared to storage. Are you sure you want to give up the storage provided by the cabinet?

Wouldn't want to tear out the seat and cabinet on the Coot to add a third bed (the one to starboard is a double) and lose the storage and seat (good place to sit while waiting for the head to be vacated) on the port side. Besides, three is a crowd in this master's cabin.

img_102325_0_e99f74d7e841386e1f8315af1b01e487.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, we did something along those lines. Our 1984 LRC was laid out a bit differently, with the cabinet on the port side. Pulled out the cabinet & settee(bench, really) & laid in a full width V-berth. Added a shelf on the starboard side to match the existing one on the port side. Hatches/lockers were built in where the old bench had been. All we lost was the hanging locker space. Our double bunk arrangement was actually in the middle cabin. That was modified as well. I'll take some pics this weekend & post then. Since my wife and I are are the primary users of the boat, with few overnight guests, this arrangement has been very comfortable.

I know it is hard to give up storage space. The upper bunk in the V is used to stash stuff. I can really sleep 5. Two in the V, Two in the side cabin and one in the salon where the couch makes out into a bed.

I want to make the v more comfortable. I wife and I usually sleep in the V.

I want to make the v more comfortable. I wife and I usually sleep in the V.

Don't find V berths romantic, as in cuddles and so on.

Scooter, is there a link to see the pictures of your V berth?

Hopefully the V-berth picture will attach. The existing small benches wwere incorporated as shelves under the main berth, which has worked out well. I can probably dig out some more pics if you need them. Attaching them has been a problem all night. Have a great New Year

V-Berth 3.JPG V-Berth4.JPG

If you make them properly, you can also add a centerboard and cushion when needed.

Search for the Clipper 30 Shipshape, and have a look at the island double they have created out of a V berth in a 30 ft version of a 34 foot CHB. It might give some inspiration as to what can be done.

Back
Top Bottom