water system accumulator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless you have a water tank hanging up high on your mast then the water tower has nothing to do with a boats water system. Duh.

Valhalla, meet Somesailor, Somesailor, meet Valhalla.:banghead:

Did they put something besides brandy in the eggnog this year?

One fellow we know with a GB42 woody replaced a Shureflow pump/accumulator setup identical to ours with a demand regulated pump (don't recall the brand) and his only complaint was that because the pump was virtually silent in operation he couldn't tell if it was working. The fact water came out of the taps should have been a clue, I would have thought.

I actually like to hear if the water pump is running.
The reasons are simple.

If I hear the pump cycling then I know that water is being used. It could be caused by a legitimate use, or it could be caused by someone inadvertantly leaving a tap on, or it could be caused by a leak.

Also when I hear the pump run and not ever stop, thats a good clue to switch water tanks, although I try to not let us get to that point.

I lost a whole tank of water on one of my old boats once due to someone leaving a tap on. No watermaker, and 60 miles from port for a nice weekend.

Last edited:
I also like to be able to hear the pump running especially with dirt company on board as they tend to waste a lot of water, which is limited on a boat. The tank is more important for those that connected to dirt domestic water which has a constant PSI to prevent sudden pressure when water is turn off. As mentioned be for most dirt domestic houses have air cushions built into the water lines. For this reason and encase a water line leaks/breaks I do not connect to the dirt/land water supply, but fill the tanks and run the pump. :thumb: I still to not understand why dirt boaters think the boat has to be quiet, as most dirt homes are very noisy. :confused:

Utility high rise water tanks as was illustrated do not use air pressure. They are all about water pressure. Pumping against air pressure would just be unnecessary work for the pump. If they used air pressure there would be no need for elevation. Water tanks and towers will be a the highest elevation, or they will be tall enough to provided minimum pressure to all served.

Can you guys not start an argument about every damn topic on this forum? PLEASE?!?!? Can we not just politely discuss the topics at hand without going back and forth like a never ending tennis match? I'll give you a dollar. :thumb:

I actually like to hear if the water pump is running.
The reasons are simple.

I agree with this, actually. We don't mind the sound of our pump at all. To us, it's just a "sound of boating.":)

Our reason for getting a variable speed pump (if we replace our current pump) are to simplify the system and reduce the noise to a degree. This would benefit anyone using the forward cabin since the pump is right the other side of the bulkhead. But we'd still like to be able to hear it run for the reasons you describe.

BINGO! Give the man a dollar!

Looking up a simplified illustration of "how things work" on the internet, is not the same as really working with things.

I know nothing about MTUs. The difference is I admit it.

I agree with this, actually. We don't mind the sound of our pump at all. To us, it's just a "sound of boating.":)

We lived with a VSD pump for a full year. Couldn't stand the lack of knowledge about the use and integrity of the pressure water system, so went back to the noisy pump. However, the VSD pump has served well for the past 7 years as a backup replacement, although it has only been used once.

We lived with a VSD pump for a full year. Couldn't stand the lack of knowledge about the use and integrity of the pressure water system, so went back to the noisy pump. .

Yes, everybody has their preferences. Everyone we know and have talked to or read comments from on the GB forum absolutely love their conversions to VSD pump. I like hearing our water pump run but if we didn't it wouldn't bother us.

Our boat is not large enough for us to go unaware of its systems for long, and we very rarely have guests on the boat and don't allow kids at all so keeping an eye (and ear) on what guests are doing with the water is pretty much a non-issue.

I like hearing our water pump run but if we didn't it wouldn't bother us.

Fine for local cruising where hearing the bilge pump running might be an indication the water supply is now leaving the bilges.

For a more independent cruiser a different operation option might be safer.

Bigger the better. There is a reason they build these things ....

How many boats have you been on with a water tower? I've never seen one, but I don't have the experience you have.

The water tower example was provided so that some of the children here who can't understand the purpose of a header tank/bladder tank.

I see that it may not have been simple enough.

The water tower example was provided so that some of the children here who can't understand the purpose of a header tank/bladder tank.

I see that it may not have been simple enough.

Just maybe one of the "children" here owns a company that for 40 years has installed miles upon miles of all kinds of utility lines. Just maybe that company has installed lift stations, pressure booster stations, pressure lines and sprinkler lines with reserve systems. Just maybe someone who used a wrong example to illustrate his point should quit defending a bad example by attacking and belittling the ones who know how a water utility system works. Also maybe the owner's son who is also a business partner sits on a county water board So much for the "children" on the board.

Why does every other post of yours have to be so insulting? To be perfectly honest, it's grown very old and irritating.

Gosh... and I was thinking it was just me.

+1

Just maybe one of the "children" here owns a company that for 40 years has installed miles upon miles of all kinds of utility lines. Just maybe that company has installed lift stations, pressure booster stations, pressure lines and sprinkler lines with reserve systems. Just maybe someone who used a wrong example to illustrate his point should quit defending a bad example by attacking and belittling the ones who know how a water utility system works. Also maybe the owner's son who is also a business partner sits on a county water board So much for the "children" on the board.

All that and you still don't understand the purpose of a bladder tank on a boat

Wow ...

All that and you still don't understand the purpose of a bladder tank on a boat

Wow ...

I understand that a high rise utility water tank bears no relationship to a bladder tank. They operate on a totally different set of principles. It is a bad example.

OK, you guys tell us what the bladder tank is for then ... and while you are at it, what does the municipal water tower do that the bladder tank doesn't?

Step right up kids, let's hear your version.

OK, you guys tell us what the bhrouladder tank is for then ... and while you are at it, what does the municipal water tower do that the bladder tank doesn't?

Step right up kids, let's hear your version.

The discussion has been about your illustration used to support your theory that a utility high rise water tank was similar to a bladder tank. How about you explaining that. Just because they both pressurize lines does not mean they operate in similar fashion. I don't have to explain anything to you. In fact, I am through with you.

Read post #30, if that doesn't do it for you then nothing will.

Talk about argumentative hypocrites, geez ... I can't say I'll miss you, since you don't contribute much besides argument it is for the best.

Greetings,
Mr. Moonstruck. "they both pressurize lines" is the point Mr. RickB is attempting, albeit with some lack of understanding on the side of the recipients, to make, NOT that they operate in a "similar fashion". Sheesh! Even I picked up on that one. Now what was the original question??????
abandon.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom