Greetings from the Sunny Whitsundays

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VC SICYC

Vessel Name
TBA
Vessel Make
TBA
We are new onboard - home port the Whitsundays, Queensland, Australia - heading to the US in early February to buy our first trawler -any feedback on DeFever 49's would be much appreciated.

Welcome. It's great to see more and more members from the underside of the planet :)

Best of luck in your quest. What part of the US are you planning on shopping?

Thanks for your message of welcome!

Southern California looks like a good rich patch of trawlers to choose from - also a fair few in the PNW if we don't see what we like in CA. We are trying to compile a short list of must see's so we are not roaming all over your very large country eroding our boat budget. Hoping that some of your experienced trawler community will comment on the DeFever 49's - we haven't come across any down here and we are hoping it will be love at first sight when we get up there!

We will be live aboards and we are looking for: flybridge and pilothouse, roomy cockpit, (no aft cab or flush deckers), generous transom for fishing/ease of boarding, watermaker, air conditioning, washing machine - we hope to spend some time in the South Sea islands - Vanuatu, Solomons, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, etc. so need a self-contained, sturdy, seakindly vessel with big fuel capacity.

I'm a fan of the 49, some are not. Wife and I became smitten with one in Alameda, CA several months ago when considering living aboard. Twin 120 Lehmans seemed economical enough and space galore. I've "heard" some say they can roll a bit in beam seas, I wouldn't let that sway my decision one bit though. It's not like there's a shortage of ways to cure rolling in a boat. If living aboard was still a short term goal of ours we would buy one.

Bald Paul and Arctic Traveler on this forum have 49's. I'd send them a private message as they do not post often and likely will not see this thread otherwise.

Last edited:
The Pacific Northwest will have a larger selection of trawlers by far, but the prices will be commensurate with the desirability of that type of vessel in the area. The Bay area and Southern California may have lower pricing, but a smaller inventory from which to choose.

At this point in the search, I'd recommend enlisting the aid of a broker and having him/her do the initial legwork for you before you arrive in the States.

Hello from Darwin
Ever consider coming up here great selection lying up here around not to mention you don't have the import duties to pay when you come back

here is only one of the bargains laying around up here for under the price of a new car there are about 5 of these in the yard I currently have one of my boats in

They have removed a few licenses up here due to the marine park creation so more boats than needed

Attachments

• DSCF7410.jpg
    DSCF7410.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 97
DeFever 49's

Thanks guys for your much appreciated input:

Darwin: We're lookin to slide into retirement with our feet up - that old girl looks like she needs more than just a washing machine and central vac!!
:socool:
Craig: we would very much like to be in touch with Baldpaul and Arctic Traveler and get their thoughts about our thoughts - found an email address for Arctic but not Baldpaul - do you have a contact for him?

Pau Hana: Enlisting a broker is very much on our to-do list asap. We understand that there are buyers brokers in the US who work exclusively for a buyer and can deal with all listings, paperweork. We are waiting on word back from some Kiwi mates who have just purchased a Jefferson 42 in Florida with the assistance of a buyers broker - they are loading the ship in WPB as we speak enroute to NZ. Unfortunately, he is based in Florida and we would prefer to deal with someone on the ground on the West Coast. We are very open to recommendations for a broker from any of you in the Trawler Community.

Thanks guys for your much appreciated input:

Pau Hana: Enlisting a broker is very much on our to-do list asap. We understand that there are buyers brokers in the US who work exclusively for a buyer and can deal with all listings, paperweork. We are waiting on word back from some Kiwi mates who have just purchased a Jefferson 42 in Florida with the assistance of a buyers broker - they are loading the ship in WPB as we speak enroute to NZ. Unfortunately, he is based in Florida and we would prefer to deal with someone on the ground on the West Coast. We are very open to recommendations for a broker from any of you in the Trawler Community.

Sending you a PM with information......

Hi VC SICYC,
Welcome onboard.Good luck with your purchase You could also approach the knowledgeable Sunchaser (DF48, if 48s close enough).
Posts on a previous thread suggested it is accepted practice US buyers brokers get paid by sellers,or sellers brokers, only if a sale proceeds. Not the same as the "buyers agent" we see in real estate in Australia, who works for and gets paid by the buyer, sale or no sale. Your idea of a personal referral is a good one.
Looking at your intended cruising, did you consider Nordhaven?

Hi VC SICYC,
Welcome onboard.Good luck with your purchase You could also approach the knowledgeable Sunchaser (DF48, if 48s close enough).
Posts on a previous thread suggested it is accepted practice US buyers brokers get paid by sellers,or sellers brokers, only if a sale proceeds. Not the same as the "buyers agent" we see in real estate in Australia, who works for and gets paid by the buyer, sale or no sale. Your idea of a personal referral is a good one.
Looking at your intended cruising, did you consider Nordhaven?

Correct- the sellers pays the commissions due for the sale. The offer to purchase contract is also more friendly towards the buyer; once an offer is accepted, the seller is pretty locked in to sell the vessel. The buyer has many opportunities to back out of the deal (survey, financing, demo ride, etc).

Hi Guys,
There are a few De Fever 49s and 50s in Aus. A mate of mine in Mooloolaba has one (Its a woodie) with twin John Deers. very nice boat.
I would certainly ensure that it had active stabilisers if you are going to do any Pacific cruising as they can be a bit rolly and also install some flopper stoppers for when at anchor.
Raised pilot house is sure the way to go.
One of the biggest problems with the DeFevers in my opinon id fuel and water capacity, allways appears on the low side for any extended cruising .
Otherwisse a fantastic boat.
The older 46 Nordys are also very good value.

PS by the way the photo of my boat in my avitar is on the hard at Hammo some years ago.
Used to slip regularly there and keep my boat at Laguna.
Cheers
Benn

Hello from Darwin

They have removed a few licenses up here due to the marine park creation so more boats than needed

I'm not sure what you mean by this? Can you explain?
Thanks
Steve W

Steve,
Over the years here in Aus there has been a big buy back of Professional Fishing Licences, both in the trawl and line fisheries.
This happens more as they establish more marine parks (ie lock us out of all the good fishing spots)
After buy backs there are usually some really good ex fishing boats on the market and at really good prices as if more that the tax write down value is obtained then the owner looses most of it in tax.
Good 45 to 55 ft boats go for anything fro 20 to 40 k. (mostly timber boats) and some are in VG condition.
An aquaintence recently got a very nice 54 footer for $30,000
Cheers
Benn

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom