Just saying hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jarod

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Glasply Motorsailer
Hello

I am a long time lurker and figured I should sign up as i have wanted to comment from time to time. I have a 37 foot fiberglass motorsailer that is used for the most part as a trawler. The boat was one of two built and was built and designed by the powerboat manufacturer Glasply in Washington State. If the winds are favourable it does actually sail fairly well and the rig is great for holding the boat solid in nasty weather. It is of course a full displacement boat with a large pilothouse and a new 54 hp yanmar inboard. I notice quite a few of the boats on here are from the PNW which is my home. I am a Canadian who keeps my boat in Semiahmoo near Blaine Wa.

Jarod

Hi Jarod. Welcome aboard. If you say it's a trawler, it's a trawler.

Thanks Peter,

Glad to hear the rig doesn't preclude me from participating. The motorsailer sticks me in the middle of the two camps (sailing vs trawlering) and although i enjoy sailing I lean a bit more towards the motoring side and have the engine running when underway about 98% of the time.

Thanks Peter,

Glad to hear the rig doesn't preclude me from participating.

Your boat is no more a trawler than ours is so there is no stigma attached to your participation. This forum should actually be called simply Boat Forum since "trawler" is a totally meaningless term in this context.

Unless, of course, you fish with your sloop using a trawl net rig, in which case you have the only trawler here.:)

On this forum the only common denominator is that the participants use boats under power to go somewhere, be it up the Inside Passage or ICW or across the bay for five miles to a marina for lunch. Since you use your boat under power to go somewhere you meet all (actually the only) requirements for a Trawler Forum member.

Enjoy the ride, which can be a wee bit bumpy at times.:)

I'd say your boat is much more of a trawler than mine, so welcome aboard.

Jarod, no worry about boat style on here, there are lots. Learn and share. Welcome

Welcome

Hello Jarod;

I welcome you, as the well-seasoned veteran that I am in this forum. I joined just a few days ago. Now I'm no longer the "rookie"! I lived in BC for almost 7 years and will be moving to Blaine from Seattle soon. I'll be keeping my 28-footer in the Blaine marina, but will probably use the more user-friendly diesel pump at your side of the water.

Next time you come down from BC, please bring along some garlic-rubbed, sea salted and coarse-peppered dry ribs! Yum...

Ed

Thanks for the welcome,

Ed,

I really like the look of those North Pacific 28's. If I ever purchased another boat it might well be one of the larger North Pacific Pilothouse models in the 42 foot range.

Jarod

Welcome aboard

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa, Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

If you want to go for a NP Yacht, Trevor Brice is the man. Google North Pacific Yachts website and his number is right there. He's in Surrey, BC. Great guy to deal with.

Thanks Peter,

Glad to hear the rig doesn't preclude me from participating. The motorsailer sticks me in the middle of the two camps (sailing vs trawlering) and although i enjoy sailing I lean a bit more towards the motoring side and have the engine running when underway about 98% of the time.

Jarod, we owned and sailed two sail boats - trailer yachts, 20' then 26' - before we went motor cruising, but it was exactly that comment you made which prompted the switch. Here in Moreton Bay, off Brisbane, Queensland, yachts all tend to spend more time motoring than sailing - and then there's the getting in the shade under nice cockpit canopies that also looked very attractive, when sitting out in the cockpit of a yacht, exposed to all the elements...noooo regrets...except we do sometimes miss the relative silence of a yacht under sail - sail being the operative word, ie, engine OFF...!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom