Long range up to 43" for live aboard ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luciano37

Hello everyone!
My name is Luciano, i am from Brasil e my intent is to buy a trawler in the USA to live aboard and travel around world with my wife .
I like Nordhavn 40 or 43 , but would like to Know another Brands to long range.

Grateful

Luciano :blush:

Welcome Luciano37.

One question I have for you are you looking at a new NH or used? Also cruising around the world is a wide range to be cruising. You may want to give some idea of where you are planing to cruise to.

A little more info will be needed for some people on here to give you their thoughts. Like one I can think of, is will it be just you and your wife or will there be others onboard? The more info you give in your post will help you out a great deal.

But to get you started the NH are good vessels but like all vessels they do have their pro's and con's

hfoster

Last edited:
Hi Hfoster, thanks for the reply!

The boat should be used. I and my wife and I will use the boat to live aboard.
I was considering a sailboat but the comfort aspect is poor.
I would like a boat to go to anywhwre, hi latitude and low latitude.

Grateful

Luciano

No worries on the reply my friend. One thing I also would like to ask is have you been to the NH web site? You also my want to check out some yacht for sale site to give you a better idea on what a used NH will cost you. You also will find some other vessels that just may suit you as well.

hfoster

Yes, I m looking on yachtworld but in many cases not have information about range, only about fuel tank .
I think the boat should be between 1800NM and 3200 NM.

Luciano

Well there is a great deal of factors to take into acount when talking about that kind of range. Hull type. speed, weather power plants just to name a few. On any vessel you look at NH, Fleming, O.R. O.A. Marlow, G.B you name it you should beable to go to their site and find a fuel rating chart to put you in the ball park on the range.

hfoster

Luciano.
Kady Krogen and Selene are also good boats to look at.
Depends on how much you want to spend.
My preference would be a Nordhavn 46. A true proven round the world traveler and a bit bigger than the 40 or 43.
Reasonably priced and most are still in very good condition.
Cheers
Benn

Luciano, having built two Nordhavn 40's and living aboard part time for five years I can confirm they make great live aboard boats. The N40 is actually a little larger than the N43 in many areas that count (salon, galley, engine room). If long range adventures are in order you can not go wrong with a Nordhavn. Now if you are looking at living aboard and doing coastal cruising you have many other options at a lower price. Some already mentioned. Remember also that not everyone is cut out to travel at 6 knots. We have met many couples where after a month or two they were unable to adjust long multi day passages. The dream can and often is more appealing then the reality. My advise is take it slow, try chartering a Nordhavn for a week first then decide if it something you really want to do. Also remember that with any boat, you will spend time performing maintenace, cleaning and learning about every sysyem aboard. Looking bask we are glade we experienced our time with Nordhavn and now looking forward to a simplier boat for long weekends and a couple of weeks each year traveling up and down the California coast and possibly down to Cabo. If I can assist with questions on Nordhavn's please let me know.

John T. (N4050 & N4061 - Former Owners)

"I like Nordhavn 40 or 43 , but would like to Know another Brands to long range."

Long range is surely a requirement , but a long distance open ocean boat will be VERY different in layout and construction from most yacht "trawlers".

Look the Nordhaven over and be sure the construction you see , scantlings . is found in other boats.

Easy to spot thin window glass and non sea doors .

The interior on an ocean boat will have hand grabs so you are not thrown from bulkhead to bulkhead.

Get a copy Passagemaker book (1st printing is most honest) and read up on what is required.

At the price of most Nordhavens , a well equipped 55 or 60 ft sail boat may have the room you desire and be far more suitable for serious offshore cruising.

Last edited:
Nordhavn is right the best to my goals (is my dream) , my doubt is wether there is other brand with the same performance to long range with cost more affordable.
The idea is start in 2015 and stay many years around world for long time in each place. For exemple, 2 years at mediterranean sea, 2 years in Caribean , Usa etc.
Basically I and my wife are going to live aboard and should be visited by 3 or 4 people on vacances of our sons.

I m sorry my poor language in english.

Grateful

Luciano
About travel at 6 nots, its is not important, we have no concerns about traveling slowly.

Love Nordhavns, but I also recommend taking a hard look at Selene. Check out the blog/website of Brian Calvert onboard M/V Further- he took his Selene from Seattle to Mazatlan, then headed west to French Polynesia, and has been cruising from the South Pacific to Thailand for the past 3 years.

His Selene 48 has over 5000 hours on her with minimal problems, and is still going strong.

Another vote for Selene. After a lot of research and boat visits it beat out the N43 which was also on our short list. You might also was to look at the Northwest 45.

Dave

Luciano, it appears your dreams fit well to a full displacement hull with the range required to meet your destinations. I think you should look at the major players in this market (Nordhavn, Kadey Krogen and Selene) and join thier web-site forums. For Nordhavn is it Nordhavn Dreamers. There are a few current boat owners who participate and you can learn a lot. All three builders have been around a long time and build good boats. In then end it will come down to personal preference. One step we use prior to looking for a boat is to play the 90% rule. What my wife and I do is sit down and list how we plan to use the boat 90% of the time. For example, when we looked into buying our first Nordhavn we had dreams of cruising 1,000 mile south to Mexico and 1,000 mile north to Alaska but we also knew we planned to live aboard Mon - Fri in San Diego. Well the 90% rule showed us that a larger salon over a larger pilothouse was a higher priority and it resulted in us buying the smaller N40 over the N43 due to its layout. Try it one day and be honest with your answers. You will also see that while a Flybridge is great (offers a second steering station for safety) your usage will likely be less than 10%. Now you need to consider the added cost (new build) and additional windage area when the breeze kicks up in a beam sea. It can make a difference on some boats. Best of luck.

Interesting point. When we were looking at the Nordies we felt the 43 had more livable space than the 47.

Dave

Dave, intersting take on the 43 and 47. Having spent a fair amount of time of both boats I find the 47 much larger. It comes down to personal choice and what we each look. Its a good thing there are so many choices out there for everyone.

I think mostly we disliked the spiral stairs from the PH to the berths and heads. We don't care for that configuration on the larger Selenes either. The split half up to the pilot house and half a flight down to the cabins and engine room suits us.

Dave

Dave, I can not agree more! This was another reason we went with the N40 and something that we are carrying over in the design of new boat which will be coastal cruiser. One thing for sure is fewer steps on a boat is safer.

Hi Hfoster, thanks for the reply!
The boat should be used. I and my wife and I will use the boat to live aboard.
I was considering a sailboat but the comfort aspect is poor.
I would like a boat to go to anywhere, hi latitude and low latitude.
Grateful
Luciano

Don't worry Luciano, you English would be way better than our Spanish.
Looking at what you want to do, maybe you should add one of these to the "must look at" list...?

Finding the Perfect Duck | mvmoken

And Don McIntyre's 'Ice' version was still for sale last I heard.....
http://zhousuijuan.s107.991idc.com/
ICE McIntyre 50 Motor Sailer Boat News, Review & Advice - boatpoint.com.au

Last edited:
I would guess Luciano37's Portugese is way better than his Spanish as he is from Brazil.

Luciano, eu ja comprei o meu trawler que fica em Fort Lauderdale. Posso te dar algumas dicas ou ajudar. De onde vc é? Mora no Brasil?

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa, Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

I'm sorry folks, I'll use a privet message next time. I'm from Brazil too and I'll help him.

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa, Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

Ok, so you guys spotted the deliberate mistake eh....?

Don't let size fool you either. I looked at a friend's 49' Defever (older hard chine version) and thought how great of a cruising boat it must be. I was so wrong, it amazed me. My background is with commercial fishing/oilfield boats and I was shocked to say the least when I experienced 1st hand how tender this "monster" personal boat was. I was at the helm and caught by surprise by a series of true 3' waves hitting broadside. It was much more violent than I expected and we were in the pilothouse, I looked at my wife and said think if we were on the flybridge?! We've since seen how differently even a 42' Kadey Krogen handles similar or larger waves, it is now our dreamboat and measure of "seaworthyness". Both had NO active or passive stabilizers. Dreamboat or not $$$$-wise indicates we'll likely end up with a nice sized shallow draft motorsailer to achieve that level of comfort.

Last edited:
we'll likely end up with a nice sized shallow draft motorsailer to achieve that level of comfort.

A simple ROT, rule of thumb, is IF a boats draft is 1/7 the LWL the boat will be able to make good windward progress in the ocean with no centerboard.

The old definition of a Motorsailor was with large enough sail area to actually beat off the proverbial windward shore.

ROT for sail size in the Archives.

FF

FF while I find the silence of sailing mesmerizing, I'm a motorboater, and have spoken with enough folks with Morgan O/Is and Gulfstars to know to not even bother trying to make headway by sail to windward in these pigs. I have never been aboard either underway though. They just appear to have a hull design similar to the ocean going trawlers, and are generally cheaper by amounts that would make buying a similarly capable trawler financial suicidal. My money has to buy function before frilly, and slowly fit out to our preferences, while using our boat as opposed to saving for a lifetime for that "gold watch" when time no longer concerns. I always found that to be a truly dumb-assed retirement gift, the mother of all oxymorons in my eyes. Of course I've never been the 9-5 5 day a week guy. Everyone places different priority to different things based on their own experiences.

Last edited:
Hi Peter....Brasil speak portugues....a bit more dificult to learn then spanish!!!
I will read the Moken s blogg.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom