View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #47
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
SS,

Marin I read your entire long post and yes if you spent a lot of time studying currents and altered your course much of the time you could I'm sure raise your speed above normal cruise and if it's that important to you then OK w me but I would rather enjoy the scenery.
No argument there, at least not for that part of the world.

My point was not that you can reduce your trip time by using the currents to raise your SOG. The only point I was trying to make is that the currents along the Passage are such that the slowing and speeding effect they have on your boat when you go up or down the coast do not automatically cancel each other out over the duration of the trip. In fact, they rarely do for all the reasons we've been talking about.

Our boat has a theoretical range of some 600 miles. But the currents along the Passage will not permit us to go 600 miles. Someone else said they would because over that distance the slowing effects of the current going one way would be cancelled out by the speeding effects of the currents going the other way. So we could go 600 miles.

That is an incorrect assumption, because of the nature of the currents and what influences them along this coast PLUS what FlyWright figured out. Hence all the posts.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote