DIY makeover or factory model?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Doesnt look factory made. Sometimes photos are deceiving because it sure looks longer than a 32.

Looks better than most production boats I've seen.

It probably looks longer because it has no FB.

The windows give it away as an owner built boat.

I prefer it to any MS boat I've seen however John's 30' pilot looked very good to me also.

But my living in Alaska has (no doubt) something to do w my opinion on this matter.

I'm sure the seller must know what he has... but it looks like a JC 31 to me.

sure doesn't look like any mainship i've ever seen. On the pilot the engines are down in the cockpit sole not raised up in a box, helm is to starboard instead of port as in this boat, and sure never seen mainship use a DD- almost always yanmar, sometimes cummins.

sure doesn't look like any mainship i've ever seen.

never seen mainship use a DD- almost always yanmar, sometimes cummins.

The hull looks identical to mine except it doesn't drop the side deck like the MK II and MK III does right after the cabin. Look up a MK I Mainship 34, that is the way they did that hull. Made it a royal pain to get out of the cockpit to a swim platform.

These early models usually had a Perkins 6.354 in 160-200 HP. However I had a local guy come get some parts from me and his was one of the last one built and it had one of the fuel miser V8s. I didn't see any DDs in any of the early models during our shopping days (months:banghead:) either, but apparently......

Yanmar and Cummins didn't come in until the "new" 34 was released.

I think that box has something to do with its new purpose, not the engine. Looks like if you squint really hard you can just make out the engine hatches ahead of this box.

Last edited:
Could that box some are thinking is the motor cowl be the 1,800 lb ice box as per the ad?

One of the pictures shows vessel number, 659345. USCG vessel doc says the builder was BIRREN BOATS and built in 1983.

Also it's hull number is MP00322M79H3. Is this a Mainship hull number?

One of the pictures shows vessel number, 659345. USCG vessel doc says the builder was BIRREN BOATS and built in 1983.

Also it's hull number is MP00322M79H3. Is this a Mainship hull number?

A 1979 hull number

Back
Top Bottom