Sydney for New Years!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kwajdiver

Veteran Member
I'll be in Sydney, Au. for New Years, ;) any mates downunder have room for two on a New Years Eve, Sydney Harbor cruise? :whistling:

Bill
Kwajalein Atoll

No, but I'm thinking of having a party on my boat at Vallejo's marina on December 21 (end of the world, a new beginning, or whatever party).

img_119517_0_f58cded7d2c45bdfbfdb5b83459df252.jpg

Sorry,I can't help, will be away up north this year. Hope you manage to get out on the harbour, new years eve is certainly quite a sight.

Andy,

When you say up North, in Australia, what exactly does that mean,,,,in the state I would be in New England. LOL..... We'll be in Cairns, Port Douglas (for diving) and then up to Cooktown. What is up North....

Bill

Well, we tend to be a bit imprecise about distances. Up north for me is about 700km north of Sydney, for a Queenslander, who lives somewhere between 1,000-4,000 km north of us, that may be viewed as the deep south.

If you are 'Going North' from Sydney that would include up to Cairns etc, but not to Darwin or that area which is the 'Top End', anywhere north of Port Douglas and you are heading for the 'Top End'

This is not to be confused with 'Going Bush' or to 'The Outback'. That means you are leaving the coast and heading toward the 'Red Centre', the desert area of central Australia, the centre of the 'Red Centre' being Uluru(Ayers Rock). If you stay there for a while you may be said to have 'Gone Walkabout'.

Other things you may need to know, if a Queenslander refers to a 'cockroach', he is probably referring to someone from Sydney, or New South Wales, we return the compliment by referring to our northern neighbours as Cane Toads.(it's a football thing)

'Up north' watch out for 'salties and 'stingers', one will eat you the other merely kill you. 'Drop Bears' are harmless, as they don't exist. The locals are so laid back they are almost horizontal.The beer will be cold and the weather hot and sticky.

Have a great time.

A bit of trivia, Bill Clinton was eating at one of the Port Douglas restaurants when advised of the 911 attack. He signed a plate which is still on the wall of the restaurant.

So let me see if I got this.

We'll be staying awhile "Up North", then driving "Top End" for a bit of a stay. Being sure to watch out for those pesty "stingers". Then we'll be going "Down South" to hang with the "Cockroaches" for the big fireworks on New Years.

While "Up North" I need ask the "Cane Toads" which restaurant that Bill Clinton sign the 911 plate in. Also, I love my beer cold, and I live on a tropical island, so hot and sticky is okay on me.

We'd like to go bush, but may need to go beach instead.

How was that. MATE!

:)

Bill

Bill, that`s orright mate!
You`ll like Port Douglas, nice, laid back. Go to the Club for great seafood. We stayed at Martinique on Macrossan.
So far we are not doing NYE fireworks, lack of a dog-sitter.Can`t leave the 13 yo dog alone NYE in Sydney. Doing NYE on the water is a big commitment, anchor in place around 2pm, not allowed to move off until 1am, back moored around 3am. And the operative crew has to stay fairly sober, ie <.05.

So let me see if I got this.

We'll be staying awhile "Up North", then driving "Top End" for a bit of a stay. Being sure to watch out for those pesty "stingers". Then we'll be going "Down South" to hang with the "Cockroaches" for the big fireworks on New Years.

While "Up North" I need ask the "Cane Toads" which restaurant that Bill Clinton sign the 911 plate in. Also, I love my beer cold, and I live on a tropical island, so hot and sticky is okay on me.

We'd like to go bush, but may need to go beach instead.

How was that. MATE!

:)

Bill

That's pretty good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom