More About Merlin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffnick

Guru
Vessel Name
Big Duck
Vessel Make
'72 Land-N-Sea
Merlin is not a licker/kisser, his specialty is a nose rub.
IMAG0752.jpg

Merlin is a Goldendoodle - 1/2 Golden Retriever, 1/2 Poodle. Both breeds are 'water dogs'.

The Golden Retriever is a medium-sized breed of dog. They were historically developed as gundogs to retrieve shot waterfowl such as ducks and upland game birds during hunting and shooting parties. They were named retriever because of their ability to retrieve game undamaged. Golden Retrievers have an instinctive love of water.

In fact, the English name poodle is derived from the German word pudel, or pudelin, which means to splash in the water. And in France, Poodles are called Caniche, a name derived from chien canard, meaning duck dog.

We didn't get Merlin because he is a water dog, we were able to adopt him because he's hypoallergenic and is a great family dog. I've since been advised that it's not 100% that your Goldendoodle won't shed and/or be hypoallergenic, but Merlin does not shed or make my highly allergic wife uncomfortable.

The breeder we bought Merlin from offers Goldendoodles in 3 sizes.
Standard (50-80 lbs)
Medium (30-45 lbs)

Mini (18-25 lbs)
Merlin is a medium at just under 50 lbs.

It wasn't my idea for Merlin to be a Therapy Dog, it was his. He loves people. And being gentle, polite and loving, he's perfect for the job.

I like to think one of the reasons Merlin is the way he is, is because I've let him be who he is. I'd much rather be more like him than make him more like me.
One More Time Around: How Not to Train Your dog

When we went to the breeder for a look, there were two pups that caught our eye. We have kept in touch with the folks who bought Merlin's twin brother and even though they're in FL and we're in SC, we get the boys together every now and then.

img_119231_1_ea4f91a6d6215811769fe4f4756c0d80.jpg

img_119231_2_9b1f956c5509a217a62b8cf88d79832f.jpg

Being 'twin brothers', it's not surprising that the two dogs are so much alike, but because Niko lives with an Aussiedoodle he's not as people oriented as is Merlin who only has me as a playmate.

My wife's allergies dictated that we get Merlin from a reputable breeder so we had the best odds of getting a dog we could keep. I'll warn you now, not to go to their web site cause those puppies will haunt you until you take one home or they put one on a plane for you.
Loveable Doodles

Turns out that the Loveabledoodle folks, Anna and Charlie, are also boaters, so we swap an occasional eMail.

IMAG0413.jpg

Last edited:
"Labradoodles" are popular here.
An advantage of cross breed dogs is "hybrid vitality", avoiding the inbreeding effects sometimes experienced with purebred dogs, often giving greater longevity, better health, freedom from known breed defects.
The Bedlington terrier is another known non shedding non allergenic breed.

He's a fine looking hound, and well done to you both for being 'useful' as my old mum would put it.

An extra bone for Merlin tonight.

BruceK;119282iThe Bedlington terrier is another known non shedding non allergenic breed.[/QUOTE said:
This may be true but you have to count your fingers every day. They can be a bit snippy. Don't let that "Look like a Lamb" cut fool you.

I have happy memories of spending the afternoon with Merlin a few years ago...

This may be true but you have to count your fingers every day. They can be a bit snippy. Don't let that "Look like a Lamb" cut fool you.
2 friends own Bedlingtons, real dogs with real dog behaviors (like a standard poodle). I did not find them more likely to bite than other breeds. Was I fortunate,or do people expect them to behave like the little lambs they are not.
Regards to Jeffnick`s Merlin, a lovely companion dog.

I have happy memories of spending the afternoon with Merlin a few years ago...

What Merlin and I remember, aside from your surgically spotless engine room, was that when Dylan, Dyna and Merlin started playing in the mud, it wasn't "Bad Dog!", rather we chuckled to see them enjoying themselves. We had a fun time cleaning them up, and your Portuguese Bridge was the perfect place for them to dry out. What a great boat for dogs, and of course people.

Merlin looks forward to another get-together.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom