Wiper Motors...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MYMT

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Caretta
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Sedan
Need advice on wiper motors...
Is anyone familiar with this ASMO wiper motor? I’d like to have it rebuilt if possible, seeing as how the other two still work. Apparently it has been discontinued and the folks at ASMO were no help all. I can’t seem to find anyone that does rewinding’s anymore, and am wondering what most folks use when replacing their old wiper motors. It’s a single speed, 3 1/2" shaft, and needs to power a 22” arm with a 20” blade. Also, should all three be the same, or can you mix types…speeds, power draw etc…
If these can still be had, or any advice on a good replacement would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1960.jpg
    IMG_1960.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1956.jpg
    IMG_1956.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_1958.jpg
    IMG_1958.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 278
Take the defunct motor to an auto electric shop, preferably one with guys with grey hair. Sometimes the problem is relatively simple like replacing brushes which can usually be cobbled from something similar.

I doubt if anyone is going to rewind the motor, but simpler stuff can often be replaced by this type of shop.

David

David's recommendation above will perhaps be your best bet. If you strike out with that try an electrical shop that advertises pump repair/rebuilding. I find them to be capable of a surprisingly diverse variety of repairs.

Replacements , if required may do more.

The sweep angle is adjustible , most have at least 3 speeds and will automatically park.

Some have a variable timing for really light conditions.

A few things do get better over the decades.

Check the price of NEW from Defender or other cutthroat before any greybeard rebuild.

The outside looks clean and free from corrosion. What leads you to think the motor need rewinding? Can you take of the motor housing and see what it's like inside?

Taking it apart to me usually means it stays apart.:lol:

Anothe project for one of these days.

That's just me. You could very well get lucky.

My work bench is covered with things I thought I could fix.:banghead:

SD

Greetings,
Mr. SD. Did ya rip the arse out of her by?
I usually try to repair things. 50/50 success BUT the thing that really puzzles me is taking something apart, doing nothing, reassembling and it works!
Mr. MYMT. You'll lose nothing by taking the cover off, as suggested and having a look. You have a self parking wiper unit there as evidenced by the three screws. Can't remember the connection sequence but ONE screw (I think) is energized by +12V all the time.
When you take off the cover, give a sniff inside the housing. If something smells burnt, you may be looking at a rebuild (explore the suggested sources) or replacement. You need not match the speeds or power draw as each motor should be fed individually.

Last edited:
Well I'm back from checking every used marine parts store and a lot of electrical motor shops...no luck. Apparently the unit is somewhat of a dinosaur, no one I talked to has ever seen one. Initially it wouldn't operate, so I took off the housing and manually turned the armature. Flipped the switch and it started working, however it was sparking like crazy. So I sprayed some CDR cleaner on it, let it sit for about 14 hours, turned it on again and it started sparking and then began to burn! The windings have apparently shorted out, however the brushes and other stuff looked ok. Thought if I could find an old used one I could replace the armature and problem solved. Problem is all the old gray haired guys have all retired or died, no one seems to fix anything in this country anymore, just throw away and buy new. I think I'll take FF's advice and find a better new one, and I appreciate RT confirming that matching the speed and power is not necessary, I wasn't sure on that. I figured the three connections were maybe that it was a two speed wiper, but you say it's because of the self parking feature..that's something I wouldn't have guessed. I do appreciate all the suggestions, for now I'll continue my search only because I'd like to keep the boat as orginal as possible, not the smartest thing to do I know, but I just like the old stuff you can work on because, like Skipperdude says...If you can't repair it maybe it shouldn't be on the boat (like that!) Besides, my first car was a 1958 MGA, so I just grew up that way...

Forgot to ask Jeffnick, ...the specks of the motor your link included looks like it would work for me. My question is how long are the arm and blades that you use it on? I've been told that it's important to know that as apparently the longer the hardware, the more powerful a motor is needed. How well does yours work?

Google "universal windshield wiper motors" and take a look.

Thanks Jeffnick and RickB, I appreciate the information. ..and if the wiper motor pushes my 22" armes, then for 30 bucks it'll be the cheapest fix since a tube of caulk!

Hey MYMT
I have exact problem om an 88 MY 38 what did you find to replace ?

Hey MYMT
I have exact problem om an 88 MY 38 what did you find to replace ?

I think since this is now 8 yrs old you will do better to send him a message directly. At least you have two possibilites if contact.
>Click on his avatar name MYMT.
>that will open a drop down menu.
>scroll over the drop menu and find SEND A PRIVATE MESSAGE TO MYMT

T.Forum will send an e mail notification to him if he is still active and if his email is still valid. Hopefully he replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom