whats the diference between a motor yatch and a trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For the record, when I log on with my phone, it says "Tawler Forum", no "r".

Good catch, NS! I never noticed that before. On the TF app, the red bar at the top of the first page loaded says "Tawler Forum".

An acquaintance of ours in Dubai recently bought a Bugatti Veyron. This is a $1 million car. When we met with him the other week he referred to it as his "toy car" in comparison to the collector cars he also owns.

Our boats, regardless of what we paid for them, are also toys, pure and simple, and most of us are amateur boaters. To think of ourselves or our boats as anything more is delusional.

If everyone wants to pretend their boats are something that they're not it's nothing to me other than I think it's humorous. It's human nature to want to feel important so if pretending our toy plastic boats are "trawlers" or "motoryacts" makes one feel good, great. That's what grownup toys are all about, right?

We've had our boat for over fourteen years now. From day one when anyone asked us what kind of boat we have we have told them "an old cabin cruiser." Which is exactly what it is. At first we said we had an old trawler but this always promted people to ask, "Why'd you get a fishing boat instead of a pleasure boat?" So we stopped pretending and started calling it what it is.

Last edited:
All right, All right... bend my wrist - kick my knee – step on my toes!! My Tolly grew up over the past 35 years to mature into Trawlerdom! She’s become termed a full fledged TRAWLER - on Trawler Forum no less!! :flowers:

But, when we go play with her... and she plays for us... she's still acts just like the great little recreational "Cruiser Pleasure Boat" that she once was, before she magically morphed into a “Pleasure Trawler” for the 21st Century... don’t cha know?!?! :socool:

Matter O’ Fact: Growing up, out and about, on and around New England waters and boat yards in 50’s to mid 70’s I never heard anything but a “Working Trawler” being called a Trawler. Closest I heard to today’s vernacular of referring to all sorts of “Pleasure Boats” or “Cruisers” as “Trawlers” was when someone (in yesteryear) might say... “... gee, that Cruiser is sort of got the lines of a Trawler. My, How times do change, and word meanings too! Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. So... I guess the Working Trawler Captains should feel honored that a huge portion of the “Pleasure Boating” public has decided to copy their Working Trawlers’ boat model nomenclature (in definition generality of the broadest sense) and therein call a large swath of our Cruisers as Trawlers in this 21st Century.

Anyone can call our Tolly a “Trawler” all they want – she’s thick skinned, err fiberglassed, and she still feels just like a Pleasure BOAT to herself and us! Most work our Tollycraft tri cabin ever did in 35 years of her life (so far) was to help in other’s distressed circumstances a couple times... otherwise she and we are all into cruising and other sorts of R&R for play-time-fun. Most boats and boaters on TF have the same marine history and are looking to continue it too I bet; with a few exemplary exceptions for those who are diligent marine workers of course!! And, my Captain's hat is off to them. :thumb:

BTW: Currently terming Pleasure Cruiser Boats as “Trawlers” was a marketing ploy that stuck-on real well... least that how I see it! :whistling:

Happy Boating, errrr Trawler, Daze! - Art :D

Last edited:
Art; said:
Currently terming Pleasure Cruiser Boats as “Trawlers” was a marketing ploy that stuck-on real well... least that how I see it! :whistling:[/FONT][/COLOR]

Absolutely correct. I have no idea who first thought of it other than I know it wasn't American Marine/Grand Banks, but it was a very successful branding gimmick to make people think that toy pleasure boats possessed the same design and construction specs, strength, and "seaworthiness" of working, open-ocean commercial fishing boats. It worked wonders at duping boat buyers and the name has stuck to the toy boat market ever since.

An acquaintance of ours in Dubai recently bought a Bugatti Veyron. This is a $1 million car. When we met with him the other week he referred to it as his "toy car" in comparison to the collector cars he also owns.

From day one when anyone asked us what kind of boat we have we have told them "an old cabin cruiser." Which is exactly what it is. .

I think if you were to think about it he is being bit facetious. "Treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant." You know it isn't a toy and he knows you know.

If you like using the word toy so much why do you not refer to your boat as "an old toy cabin cruiser."?

Last edited:
Whatever you want to call them is fine by me. I have a "boat" that, for the moment, suits my lifestyle

And, no matter what you call them, and whether they be commercial or recreational, they all are the same: a hole in the water etc.

However, (theoretically, of course), the commercial ones make money over and above expenses for the owner.

Only on special occasions in the owner's stateroom. ;)

The crew would courteously inform her that she must remove them before setting foot onboard.

Reminds me of a Miami Boat show back in the 80's. The Cuban ladies would come onto the boat with 4" spikes and short shorts with a halter top. They would ask if they needed to take off their shoes and we would of course say no. So some clown comes aboard and gave me some grief about his shoes by pointing to one of the ladies with the 4" heels. I told him that if he looked like her in heels he could wear them but as far as I could tell he had to take his shoes off. Wasn't real happy, but we were.

Only on special occasions in the owner's stateroom. ;)

The crew would courteously inform her that she must remove them before setting foot onboard.

Couldn't agree more...

I think a "boat" that you have to have "boat" shoes on is a "yacht" which I'll visit on occasion but would never own one. Any boat that I can't wear my work boots on or drop a tool on deck without someone wincing isn't in my high regard. Pretty but like jewelry....for someone else with less "beer" like habits...:D

I think if you were to think about it he is being bit facetious. "Treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant." You know it isn't a toy and he knows you know.

Of course it is. He doesn't need it, it's not for work, and he takes it out now and again to play with it for fun. His words. If that's not a definition of a toy, what is?

If you like using the word toy so much why do you not refer to your boat as "an old toy cabin cruiser."?

I do. I tell people our boat is just a toy, or a toy boat, all the time. Because that's all it is.

I love my toy boat...it's lots of fun...

My assistance towing boat looks like a toy tug boat and yet does a yoemans job and makes me a lot of money.

I have no problem calling them toy boats.

Seeing 1100 feet of steel launch aircraft at over 35 knots to me isn't a toy boat...it's the sound and sight of freedom...:thumb:

My masculinity isn't threatened by calling my boat a "toy" boat...my friends have seen the 1000+ manhours of labor and effort that made my chariot what it is to take me south while they shovel snow this winter.....

"toy" boat...big deal...puts a smile on my face!!!!

Greetings,
Oh, Mr. Marin. " He doesn't need it, it's not for work, and he takes it out now and again to play with it for fun. His words. If that's not a definition of a toy, what is?" I'm NOT going to reply to THAT definition!!!!!

... "toy" boat...big deal...puts a smile on my face!!!!

speed%20boat.gif

Having sailed for a few years, I have been of the opinion that a trawler is something or someone that 'trawls'. I have worked on a few fishing trawlers, and never tried to catch fish at more than 5 knots. Trawlers are slow, efficient, and very seaworthy. Some of the older one's I sailed on in the 80's were from the 40's and made of steel. They had a full displacement hull, a fairly large working deck, upwards of 40% in length of the weather deck, and had a lot of freeboard at the bow. Most were single screw and had a pilothouse and flybridge. The superstructure was designed to fit the accommodation area below the pilothouse. Many boats are also designed on locality-like the down easter. The upward rise towards the bow makes these lobster boats handle the waves better. I guess these days, proper nautical usage is subjective at best. Which is really too bad, in my opinion.

Greetings,
Oh, Mr. Marin. " He doesn't need it, it's not for work, and he takes it out now and again to play with it for fun. His words. If that's not a definition of a toy, what is?" I'm NOT going to reply to THAT definition!!!!!

Never thought of that angle, now, did I?

I love my toy boat...it's lots of fun...

My assistance towing boat looks like a toy tug boat and yet does a yoemans job and makes me a lot of money.

Well, I would not regard an assistance boat, no matter how small or what it looks like, to be a "toy" boat. It's a working boat and as such it is not being employed simply as someone's adult toy.

Our boats toys of course. And more people know what a pleasure Trawler is than a working Trawler. All pleasure boats are toys as they exist for our pleasure but exactly what kind of boat they are can be answered in many ways. Some of those ways reflect on what the pleasure boat owner wants the listener to think of HIM relative to what kind of boat he has. If you have the need to improve your image regarding your masculinity, toughness, maritime knowledge, maturity and other desirable mannish or seafaring traits you may want your boat to be called a Trawler. If the boat owner wants others to think of him as having lots of money or even rich he hopes folks will call his boat a yacht. If the owner wants others to think of him as cool and perhaps daring his boat would best be a speedboat.

But if you've got a Cruiser and it's heavy, a bit seaworthy and slow it's called (listen up guys as this is where it's at (so to speak) a "HEAVY CRUISER". Some boats fit that description and are called Trawlers so their skippers can feel a bit more masculine and special and salty. Toys are for children and so way too degrading. Like it or not "Trawler" is just a style. But our boats are almost all "Heavy Cruisers".

And the style promotes an image. The image can be of a burly man emerging from his noisy engine room w sleeves rolled up, shirt a bit dirty but clean enough to show he's no slob. A handsome woman gives him an interested look as he addresses another man coming down the float in beautiful slacks w an expensive belt, new shoes, a nice classy shirt that would never be found at Sears color matched to his pants, every inch impeccably clean and neat w a woman following that is obviously "his woman" and she's even neater and slicker than he. The first guy is a Trawlerman and the second is a yachtsman. They are BOTH PRETENTIOUS.

Me? I don't fit in. I'm a boat owner and a skipper of my boat that is a HEAVY CRUISER.

Oh dear...here we go again.......
Personally, I think of my boat as a 'trawler style' coastal cruiser.....
The hull shape and speed range is the only thing most of our boats have in common with true trawlers, let's face it.
Just posted on thread "Nautical Terms" a Wikipedia definition: "Recreational Trawler- a pleasure boat built in the style of a trawler". Pretty much nails it, I think.

So a Recreational Trawler is a boat that fishes with trawl gear, but just for fun.:)

"Recreational Trawler" is as dumb a name as plain old "trawler" for a toy boat. It's like saying what, "military intelligence?"

Or "Recreational Bulldozer.":)

The image... burly man emerging from his noisy engine room w sleeves rolled up, shirt a bit dirty but clean enough to show he's no slob. A handsome woman gives him an interested look as he addresses another man coming down the float in beautiful slacks w an expensive belt, new shoes, a nice classy shirt that would never be found at Sears color matched to his pants, every inch impeccably clean and neat w a woman following that is obviously "his woman" and she's even neater and slicker than he. The first guy is a Trawlerman and the second is a yachtsman. They are BOTH PRETENTIOUS.

Eric - You'v got "good pencil". A director would love that as set for a scene in a Movie. I can see John Wayne being the burly actor! :thumb:

Anyway - I/we always dress up "special" for times on our boat (yes, BOAT)! :D

BTW - Cooper is at my shoulder now and Kylie is geting long and thin. Coop and I refinish projects together... Kylie cleans it up real good.

Attachments

• Copy of Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.JPG
    Copy of Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Art - Pilot Tolly_100_1362.JPG
    Art - Pilot Tolly_100_1362.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Linda, Art, Coop & Kyl - Full Size_100_1355.jpg
    Linda, Art, Coop & Kyl - Full Size_100_1355.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Regarding Marin's use of 'toy' in describing his boat, I must admit that doesn't sit well with me, although I understand that in regard to the 'real world' that is how he may perceive it.

We all know historically boats have been known as 'she', not just in English but in contemporary European languages as well. This leads us to invest some emotional attachment to our bucket of glass, screws and wood.She has shared in our fun, mishaps, got us home when things got a little dicey and given us the chance to venture out, some further than others.A toy? , no she is far more than that.

Regarding Marin's use of 'toy' in describing his boat, I must admit that doesn't sit well with me, although I understand that in regard to the 'real world' that is how he may perceive it.

We all know historically boats have been known as 'she', not just in English but in contemporary European languages as well. This leads us to invest some emotional attachment to our bucket of glass, screws and wood.She has shared in our fun, mishaps, got us home when things got a little dicey and given us the chance to venture out, some further than others.A toy? , no she is far more than that.

"Treasured Addictive Toy" Just Sayen! :rofl:

We all know historically boats have been known as 'she', not just in English but in contemporary European languages as well...... This leads us to invest some emotional attachment to our bucket of glass, screws and wood.

Sorry, but this whole "she" business and "boats have personalities" is, in my book, total nonesense. With the exception of the fuel on board, which is volatile, a boat is a collection of totally inert, uncaring, un-alive chemicals, wood, and metal. Even the wood is dead by the time it gets put on a boat.

Anthromophising this collection of inanimate materials is totally meaningless. Like the re-naming ceremonies. You think the boat gives a hoot in hell what name is painted or stuck on it?

I understand why people feel this way about boats, of course. It's the same thing that caused Walt Disney to put big eyes on the pilothouse of a tugboat and whatnot. People like to get all emotional about stuff and Walt realized that if he turned inanimate objects into "people" he could make a hell of a lot of money selling the concept to the public.

If people want to get all emotional about these things and name their cars and boats and so forth, that's fine of course. It makes them feel good about them in some way or another and that's what's important.

But the reality is that attaching a personality to a boat is no different than attaching a personality to a driveway.

Boat's make possible wonderful experiences. But they don't make the experiences, the people on it do. The boat is just a tool, like a hammer.

The only reasons our two boats have names is because we need them for the radio and in the case of the GB, for its documentation. But we never call either boat by its name even when talking to other people abut them. They are the "little boat" and the "big boat."

Our boats don't "bring us home when things get dicey." We bring us home using the boat. The only reason everything worked out okay is that we used the boat correctly. Just like if I use a hammer correctly I don't smash my thumb. If we used the boat incorrectly we'd end up on the rocks like in Northern Spy's photo in another thread. But the boat itself didn't have squat-all to do with the outcome other than whatever role its design and construction played in the conditions we were in.

The Costa Concordia didn't think, "Oh, look, a rock. I'm in a bad mood because the captain didn't pet my wheel this morning so I think I'll go hit it." No, the dumbass captain drove the ship into the rock on his own. The ship didn't care one way or the other.

Living things, absolutely I acknowledge their personalities and feelings. Boats? Sorry, they're just things. Like planes, trains, and automobiles. I don't need to pretend they're "people" to get enjoyment and good use out of them. Perhaps that's too realistic for a lot of people, but I can't see wasting thought or emotion on something that is incapable of responding to it. There are plenty of other things in life that do.

Last edited:
Dear Trawler Forum,

Some of you may know me, my name is Madam La Perouse I have been with Marin Faure for a considerable time now. This is the first time I have written to the forum, but I am so mad at being described as a TOY! I am how shall I say it, of a mature age, well into my 30's and have been faithful to Marin throughout this time,yes there were previous men in my life, but you know how it is.

I have lived contentedly up here in the wind,mist and cold, with never a complaint. I have put up with his long absences, his insinuations that I'm slow and past my best, never an affectionate pat on the fender. He even covers up one of my best features, a good handrail means a lot to a girl.

I'm not saying he has ever abused me, he has been quite meticulous, but a girl does like a nice comment now and again,is this too much to ask? Then to hear that he calls me his TOY! it makes me so mad that I think I will blow a gasket, maybe I'll blow two, that will teach him.
Yours,
Mdm. La Perouse

Nice try. It's a friggin' boat fer Christ's sake. The next thing I know you'll be waxing eloquently about the feelings of the manhole cover over the storm drain at the bottom of my street.:)

PS--- Jean-Francois de La Pérouse was a guy.

So a Recreational Trawler is a boat that fishes with trawl gear, but just for fun.:)

"Recreational Trawler" is as dumb a name as plain old "trawler" for a toy boat. It's like saying what, "military intelligence?"

Or "Recreational Bulldozer.":)
Some nice non sequiturs there. Your definition is a little different to "Wikileaks". We`ve all but banned commercial trawling here, so "recreational trawling" might be the only kind allowed.
And yes, "military intelligence" is a contradiction in terms.:)

Nice try. It's a friggin' boat fer Christ's sake. The next thing I know you'll be waxing eloquently about the feelings of the manhole cover over the storm drain at the bottom of my street.:)

PS--- Jean-Francois de La Pérouse was a guy.

I'm not gonna touch that with a 10' pole! :angel:

Sorry, but this whole "she" business and "boats have personalities" is, in my book, total nonesense.

Living things, absolutely I acknowledge their personalities and feelings. Boats? Sorry, they're just things. Like planes, trains, and automobiles. I don't need to pretend they're "people" to get enjoyment and good use out of them. Perhaps that's too realistic for a lot of people, but I can't see wasting thought or emotion on something that is incapable of responding to it. There are plenty of other things in life that do.

Oh? "Corporations are people"... aren't they, as per Mitt Romney contends, who you may have voted for... seeing as in another thread you were sure to mention you did not vote for Obama! :whistling:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom