Spring Cleanng

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JILLBROWN

Vessel Name
WARLOCK
Vessel Make
1981 ISLAND GYPSY 32
My Island Gypsy 32 needs a good scrubbing. I've always done it myself, but this year my arthritis prevents me from crawling around on the deck and getting into tight spaces like I used to. Do anyone have any tricks or suggestions for cleaning my old girl without getting down on my hands and knees and hurting myself?

Greetings,
Mr./Ms. JB. About the easiest thing is to hire someone. Perhaps one of the yard workers would be willing to do some scrubbing after hours. IF you contracted the yard you would be paying $$$$$ for a $ job.

Get a telescoping long handle brush with removable head.

It is easy to lean on and apply pressure just using your weight.

I buy mine at Walmart in the automotive department. You can scrub the crap out of a boat with one quickly. Mine last about two years then wear out.

I have the Shurhold brush system. Works great. You can get different brushes for cleaning different surfaces. I have a soft brush that only is used for doing the eisenglass. Medium brush for general cleaning and a dual purpose brush for the decks. It has medium bristles for regular cleaning but if you press the brush down more the shorter inside bristles that are stiffer come into contact with the deck for more stubborn stains.

Spring Cleaning Suggestions

Thanks for all the useful ideas for scrubbing my boat. I forgot to mention that's she's tied to the dock in my "backyard". We live on a canal which has a harbor entrance to and from Puget Sound. I'll try some of your ideas and let you know what works, so that other little old ladies (and gentlemen) can clean their own boats and not have to hire someone at great expense. Rock on, Older Boaties!

I have the Shurhold brush system. Works great. You can get different brushes for cleaning different surfaces. I have a soft brush that only is used for doing the eisenglass. Medium brush for general cleaning and a dual purpose brush for the decks. It has medium bristles for regular cleaning but if you press the brush down more the shorter inside bristles that are stiffer come into contact with the deck for more stubborn stains.

I also like Shurhold. Different brushes, telescoping length, good quality. I especially like the curved section you can add to the brush end for cleaning the roof and also reaching over to clean the hull from the deck.

so that other little old ladies (and gentlemen) can clean their own boats
Ahmm, Island Gypsy owners must never be refered to as 'little old ladies or gentlemen.'

It is well known that they are experienced maritime seafearers, with robust personalities.....that have been around a while, some a long while.:rolleyes:

Do what you can comfortably do yourself and either hire the rest out of just forget about it and enjoy the boat.

pete

Cleaning an older boat does not require the high dollar services of a professional boat detail crew unless you have maintained the boat in near perfect as she came from the factory condition.

Consider some local talent. Instruct them in the supplies and tools you approve and provide same.

Because you are on Whidbey Island to hire the local talent I'd go to Skagit Craigslist Services Household or Drewslist-Southwhidbey and call people advertising as cleaners. It will take a lot of phone calls but you'll find someone who will take the job.

Thanks for all your advice and comments. I'm going to clean the boat a little at a time rather than trying to do it all in one day. I'm not going to get anxious about things and I will never refer again to little old ladies and gentlemen (I guess I was just having a bad day!)

Good for you!

Yeah, mother nature is relentless. Birds, bugs, dust and weather.

I tend to let it go until I just can't stand it anymore. Makes for a more satisfying cleaning experience to see all that dirt run off rather than just a little bit - :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom