• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

Trawler wanted for loop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My boat is the one in Cheboygan, MI and you said you were in Ludington. It is also a fresh water boat as far as I know. It may have done the Loop once before with a previous owner not really sure.

Fuel money: In the tank or in the bank...and the bank won't take us cruisin'!

We will leave the grandchildren videos of all the places we have spent their inheritance!

They made Grand Banks 36 with singles and twins.
Just a thought.

The original Mainship 34 is a good inexpensive choice. There's one recently posted for sale here at $25k in MI.

I looped in one and used 1500 gallons to do 6000 NM.

AGLCA has costing tools for looping. For most people daily dockage is the biggest cost.

I am looking for a 32 To 40 trawler for the loop I really want a single diesel. We all know how much gas costs!

I live in LUDINGTON Mi
231-690-5611
Dave J

Dave
I have a single diesel Mainship 34 for sale in Montreal. Bow and stern thrusters. New fuel and water tanks. New flooring. Listed with Harris and Ellis Yachts. $69,900 cad approx $52,000 USD. Scott 514-553-3400.

Boy what a supportive group I really appreciate it

I only need one cabin. But my wife won’t accept anything less than the about 32 feet and I don’t want to be over 38

I expect most will be able to create a bed for anyone who might visit. I have gotten my wife to agree- I don’t want to push a living room down the Mississippi.

Thanks
Dave J

Hi,

we found a Nordic Tug 37 and it offers single diesel propulsion and really low fuel consumption, if you can drive about 6 knots, our average consumption is only about (less than) 1 gal/hour in normal conditions.

Good facilities for long trips and good seaworthiness for the coast. here, diesel cost about 11.5-12$/gal in the 2022 season, so the fuel consumption has some meaning for me, when I drive about 2200 nm in the season.

NBs

Thanks for the input. You guys are helping me narrow this down!

Dave J

I'm also preparing for the loop and did buy a single. My reasoning was mostly based on maintenance. Having twins whether kids or engines just adds to the overall maintenance expense. 2 water pumps, 2 alternators, double the cost for oil and zinc changes. So I'm with you.
Pretty much, the additional cost to maintain twins is oil changes and impeller changes, both of which are minimal expenses. Maintainance costs are a very minor factor in the single/twin debate.

Boy what a supportive group I really appreciate it

I only need one cabin. But my wife won’t accept anything less than the about 32 feet and I don’t want to be over 38

I expect most will be able to create a bed for anyone who might visit. I have gotten my wife to agree- I don’t want to push a living room down the Mississippi.

Thanks

Dave J
Monk 36.

Questions to consider before you buy a big trawler.
Are you comparable on land?
Your skill level?
How many people onboard. (# of staterooms and heads.)
If you are having another couple join you, their skill level, are the going for the complete loop? You dont want to end up with a short crew.
Who’s going to cook?
Sharing fuel, maintenance, food bill?

Last edited:
One or two

I chose two engines for the loop. There are pros and cons to each configuration, however economics isn't a big one. The engine/engines are pushing the same load, plowing the same amount of water, the same distance. It is the same work. If you move a cord of wood from one side of your yard to another. It doesn't matter if one, two, three people move the load. It doesn't change the amount of work. It just moves the load faster. The same is true of boats. Oil changes are one area where costs increase. I changed my own oil so the difference was oil and filter.

The hull for a single engine boat, trawler or not, tend to be configured as full displacement hulls with substantial keels. Full displacement hulls are most efficient at displacement speeds; add one extra knot beyond displacement and your fuel expense rises dramatically.

Propeller protection, which to me, is the biggest advantage of single engine trawlers. The loop has some very shallow areas, even in the marked channels. A single engine boat has no prop worries, whereas the dual engine needs to pay very close attention.

I did a loop and a half plus the Bahamas. Speed is the biggest advantage of dual engined boats. I think all two engine boats are semi-displacement and I can go incrementally faster without a large bump in fuel costs. At displacement speed I get 3.4 gallons per mile. For awhile, I have traveled with Mainships, Grand Banks, and a variety of full displacement boats.

The reason for I only traveled for awhile was the weather. I could adjust my speed to minimize the effects of weather and the trawlers couldn't. I sat for a week in Buffalo because of a storm. My, at the time, traveling buddies, on a Grand Banks spent 2 weeks because the waves were very annoying in their duration. I sped up to take them at a difference cadence. I had this same experience with others in Lake Huron, Lake Michigan, Gulf of Mexico and returning from the Bahamas.

There is no free lunch. When I go fast the fuel consumption drops to as little as a half a mile per gallon, but I didn't pay for an extra week at a marina in Buffalo.

As to size, we have a 40ft boat with a dinghy that hangs over about 4 feet. It is as large, as we want at the marinas we chose. Turning in the runway was tight at 44 ft. We recently talked to a couple who have a 54ft boat who love the size because they are put on the face docks.

If you expect any guests, you might look at two heads. It is hard for 4 people to operate out of one head. We had extra guests for about 6 weeks. Not a large amount but the second head was necessary for an enjoyable time.

Enjoy, there are no wrong answers. It is a great adventure and I hope you go for it.

Mike

Mike,

This has been debated here many times. I can't disagree with any of your points but there are a few comments I'd add to your generalizations about single vs. twin.

Twins are not always faster. 1 larger engine vs 2 smaller ones can get you similar HP and same or faster speeds. 2 engines and gear may weigh more than 1 and have a little more loss in spinning 2 transmissions and props, but not significantly. In general I'd expect 1 engine to be slightly more efficient.

Maintenance is more than just oil changes. Some parts might cost more for a bigger engine than a smaller one, but over time you'll spend more in total maintenance because you are replacing 2x the parts.

I think either choice can be a good one as they both have pros and cons. More important is that you are out and cruising so enjoy!

Great input I am going to look at a twin tiawanees boat today. Twin Volvos.

Great input I am going to look at a twin tiawanees boat today. Twin Volvos.

Volvos have a bad rep on TF. Allegedly hard to get parts and service. I have no personal knowledge, only what others have said here.

I've run and worked on Volvos, but admittedly not owned them. They seem like great motors, well engineered and easy to service. The down side is the parts are stupid expensive. I haven't found parts or service to be any less available than other brands.

A popular choice would be the Mainship line such as the 34/390. Many were built and with singles too thus a large population from which to choose. TF has many MS owners thus a good source of first hand problems to watch out for.

The best if you can afford it IMHO - an American Tug 34 and with very easy resale.

Last edited:
As I recall the mechanical and fuel mathematics between twins and singles aren't the same for the same amount of work. I believe Bumpkin's post is theoretically correct in some Newtonian universe, but once you factor in some fraction of mechanical loss for less than perfect efficiency of two engines instead of one, comparative drag of two props as opposed to one, prop shaft friction on two stuffing boxes instead of one, the resistance or drag or engine load of two alternators instead of one, et cetera, et cetera, a single will actually burn less fuel overall than twins, to move the same boat the same distance. But as so many say on here, even with much higher fuel prices lately, the fractional difference in fuel burn between twins and a single is not your highest consideration when gearing up for the Great Loop. I'm a twins guy for maneuverability and redundancy, but yeah, that topic has been beaten to death. Ultimately a preference thing in my mind. And my boat has so much darn windage, I want twins, but then our boat is the giant white tennis shoe style. YMMV.

These points are valid. I think of myself trying to spin a diesel engine and drive. You can’t do it. It does take fuel. Engines create heat which is energy wasted. I
Think one engine is the most efficient

Hi David, I will be selling my 2004 400 Mainship this summer. Finishing a leg from Georgian Bay to North Channel. We have checked off some of the Great Loop destinations and will be ending our travels around the Cheboygan, MI area. If you google 2004 Mainship 400 Trawler on Facebook Marketplace it should show up. It will will reference the location in NH, while its currently in winter storage in Georgian Bay. Feel free to touch base if you have any questions.

How many hours are on it. Is it a single. How much are you looking for it. When will you make it to cheyboygan?
You can call me at at 231-690-5611

Dave, I’m selling my 2017 Beneteau Swift 30 Trawler. It’s a single screw fast trawler. Bow and stern thrusters. 3+ miles per gallon at hull speed, 1.1 miles per gallon on plane. Large berth plus a bunk room that sleeps 2. Couch sleeps 2 as well. Propane stove and oven for cooking while underweigh without running the generator. Exception visibility from lower helm for all weather cruising. Full upper helm when you choose.

32’ single Cummins 200hp turbo.in progress.

Sewage treatment new. Two new a/c. Auto pilot 200 hp cummins turbo. Rebuilt generator. Auto pilot and more. To clean to describe.

I have a 1983 Kadey Krogen 42 .
I purchased it in Nova Scotia 3 years ago and moved it to Port Aransas, Texas.
It’s in good shape. Make an offer

stawil@sbcglobal.net

I have a 1983 Kadey Krogen 42 .
I purchased it in Nova Scotia 3 years ago and moved it to Port Aransas, Texas.
It’s in good shape. Make an offer

stawil@sbcglobal.net

Would probably be a good idea to post a "For Sale" ad in the Classified section. But you need to post a price, location, etc.
Also, probably not a good idea to post your e-mail address on a public forum. Just sayin':dance:

I am looking for a 32 To 40 trawler for the loop I really want a single diesel. We all know how much gas costs!

I live in LUDINGTON Mi
231-690-5611
Dave J
I might list my 1984 CHB Present 35 Sundeck early in 2024. Repowered with a single 150hp Cummins diesel with less than 400 hours. Also has a Kubota diesel generator.

Is your boat still available, or will it be available in the spring 2024? Do you have any details or pictures?

Yes it is and yes I do. Would prefer to send to a personal email. She is in Vero Beach, Florida and has been exceptionally well cared for and maintained.

Jim Young
jamesjyoung3@gmail.com

Welcome aboard. Be sure to look at the Mainship 34T... Not just because i have one, but its a great Loop Baot for the price, And provides all you need ! Keep it Simple

CHB Present 35 Sundeck

Is your boat still available, or will it be available in the spring 2024? Do you have any details or pictures?

I’m planning to list my 1984 Present 35 Sundeck in February-March 2024. I’m currently docked in a live a board slip in Marathon, FL. I haven’t put together a listing yet but I can answer any questions you might have through this thread.
Boat has a Kubota generator, 2 cabins, 1.5 bathrooms. When I purchased her in 10/2020, she appraised at $57,500.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom