Nordhavn runs aground Ocean Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adopo

Guru
Vessel Name
Calypso
Vessel Make
1981 Fairchild Scout
Just saw this on Yachtforum. Anyone know what happened?

Attachments

• 279DB34E-3F0F-4637-9C99-7FCA9EA779A9.jpeg
    279DB34E-3F0F-4637-9C99-7FCA9EA779A9.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 204
. Anyone know what happened?

I'd hazard a guess it's ran aground ;)

Just checking it's anodes.

Water must be shallow in that channel

Last edited:
Chart and depth sounder were set in feet, but skipper thought they were set in fathoms..........

I’d guess, he was not paying attention to the depth sounder and buoys

Been in and out of there a couple of times, very narrow, stay close to the red line

I haven't heard anything about it. Looks like an N76 which draws close to 8', so mightly skinny water for that draft. It probably got off at high tide.

Commiserations to owner/operators. Hope it resolves well.

Lindsey's Law has it that “when your draft exceeds the water's depth you are most assuredly aground.”

Curious as to how to how the port stabilizer faired?

That’s 8001, many members there were not surprised. She’s underway now heading north.

Lindsey's Law has it that “when your draft exceeds the water's depth you are most assuredly aground.”

Thankful for boats and skills that can get off in all but the most severe situations. :D

Ocean Reef Club in the Florida Keys?
Very narrow channel dredged through shallow flats. The water beside the channel may have been only a foot or two deep.
I believe that’s a No Wake sign on the green marker so he should have been moving slowly.
Sudden steering failure? If so he must have been going pretty fast to get that far up on the shallows.

I haven't heard anything about it. Looks like an N76 which draws close to 8', so mightly skinny water for that draft. It probably got off at high tide.

Only about two feet of tide there. You can see how high the tide gets by the waterline on the rocks and markers.

Anyone know cause? Charts look pretty clear you dont want to be turning to starboard there.

My lawyer has an office in Ocean Reef. I asked him if he knew anything about it.
He sent me a bill for $400 and this reply.

I asked my buddy who has a boat in the marina. Incident happened last week. Stories differ but it was either an engine failure or autopilot failure. Boat ran aground at high tide. The picture you sent was at low tide. Apparently the boat was there all last week before they could pull it out.
Owner pilot. He apparently also hit a channel marker two weeks ago. Maybe time to hire a captain.

My lawyer has an office in Ocean Reef. I asked him if he knew anything about it.

I asked my buddy who has a boat in the marina. Incident happened last week. Stories differ but it was either an engine failure or autopilot failure. Boat ran aground at high tide. The picture you sent was at low tide. Apparently the boat was there all last week before they could pull it out.
Owner pilot. He apparently also hit a channel marker two weeks ago. Maybe time to hire a captain.

Scary.... for the many Nordhavn stories compared to their numbers. Makes you wonder how many owned are by experienced mariners.

No charge for this 2 cents.... :D

Who would be using an autopilot in that channel?

Too much money leads to too much boat too soon.

Who would be using an autopilot in that channel?

While I am not sure I would be using it in this instance, I often used my remote to steer.

That was because of my helm seat's position with the wheel, especially on the flybridge. At ocean reef, my flybridge is where I might have been on the rare occasion because you probably could see bottom.

So "All the gear but no idea"
Seems like a lot of that these days

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom