• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

Trawler wanted for loop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davidj

I am looking for a 32 To 40 trawler for the loop I really want a single diesel. We all know how much gas costs!

I live in LUDINGTON Mi
231-690-5611
Dave J

I am looking for a 32 To 40 trawler for the loop I really want a single diesel. We all know how much gas costs!

I live in LUDINGTON Mi
231-690-5611
Dave J

Have you checked the price of diesel lately? Not exactly a bargain.+

I don't think the difference in fuel burn between a single and twins is enough to justify the decision one way or the other.

Beyond that, I think there has been enough already written on this topic that no-one needs my opinion at this point.

Over the life of your boat fuel will be the smallest expense. That includes the loop. Anyway, good choice to go with a single 32 to 40 footer. Personally I would stay on the smaller side of that search.

pete

Over the life of your boat fuel will be the smallest expense. That includes the loop.

If your fuel bill isn't your biggest annual expense, you're not cruising enough. :rolleyes:

Ted

A lot of people buy a boat specifically do "do" the loop, then sell it afterward. In that case resale value becomes at least as important as fuel costs.

But even if you use the boat a lot (like doing the loop) the difference in fuel burn between a single and twins isn't as much as you'd think. You're using the same amount of horsepower to go a given speed, just a little more of it is eaten up in mechanical losses.

One deciding factor might be that a single can have the prop protected by a keel, while twin screws are usually the first thing to hit bottom, or hidden logs in the Dismal Swamp, for example.

Just my read on the OP, but I am not sure it was a single vs twin question as much as a gas vs diesel.

If your fuel bill isn't your biggest annual expense, you're not cruising enough. :rolleyes:
Ted

So I really did not know. I went back to a spreadsheet where I keep my expenses and the trip from NJ to FL and back after the season. Fuel was about 56% of the total expenses - excluding the seasonal marina fee in FL.

I used to say fuel is the least of your issues - I mostly thought it was a sunk cost and to keep a boat but not run it seemed like a crime. I will stop saying that to folks looking to buy a boat.

Just another data point - we did the Loop in a 60,000# DeFever 44 (twin Lehman 120s). We travelled 5,500 miles and burned 3,300 gallons, including an esimated 200 gallons for generators.

Wow thanks for the wonderful input on fuel costs. Much to consider. Some of the idea of twins goes against who I am. If I can save fuel I believe I should. I really think a single diesel is my answer. Thanks again. Dave J

So I really did not know. I went back to a spreadsheet where I keep my expenses and the trip from NJ to FL and back after the season. Fuel was about 56% of the total expenses - excluding the seasonal marina fee in FL.

I used to say fuel is the least of your issues - I mostly thought it was a sunk cost and to keep a boat but not run it seemed like a crime. I will stop saying that to folks looking to buy a boat.

Being that the cost of diesel has roughly doubled in the last couple years, things have changed. Still not significant for me, but then again I'm not traveling up and down the coast like some are.

So diesel seems to cost 25% more. Your point is interesting. How much better efficiency is a diesel vrs gas. I need to do some homework. Thanks

Wow thanks for the wonderful input on fuel costs. Much to consider. Some of the idea of twins goes against who I am. If I can save fuel I believe I should. I really think a single diesel is my answer. Thanks again. Dave J

Sounds like you're suggesting that a single is more ethical/socially responsible than a twin. Really?

Have you checked the price of diesel lately? Not exactly a bargain.+

I'm also preparing for the loop and did buy a single. My reasoning was mostly based on maintenance. Having twins whether kids or engines just adds to the overall maintenance expense. 2 water pumps, 2 alternators, double the cost for oil and zinc changes. So I'm with you.

Maybe plus I always try to be economical.

That’s the way I was brought up.
Thanks

Ted

THIS!

I see people post this all the time "Fuel is the least of your expenses" and for most of the boat owners whose boats never leave the dock, that is probably totally true! And that applies to probably 90% of the boats in our current marina.

To the original poster, it would help if you clarified your needs/wants a little. Are you looking for recommendations on specific boats?
Do you have price point in mind?
Are you going to do the loop and immediately put the boat up for sale?
Do you need 1 cabin, 2 cabins, 3 cabins, etc?
Are you a DIY kind of guy, or do you plan on doing "check book" maintenance?

Lots of info you could provide to help members help you!

And by the way, as others have already said: Welcome to the Forum!:dance:

Boy what a supportive group I really appreciate it

I only need one cabin. But my wife won’t accept anything less than the about 32 feet and I don’t want to be over 38

I expect most will be able to create a bed for anyone who might visit. I have gotten my wife to agree- I don’t want to push a living room down the Mississippi.

Thanks
Dave J

David,

Yes, we need more info, but on the FWIW category, I did the look on a single engine Mainship 400 in 2018. Anchored just about half time. Total fuel for a 6000 mi trip was $7,774 for fuel (averaged pretty close to $2 a gallon) and $5,520, fuel clearly being the biggest expense. On occasion, I traveled along with a Mainship 400 twin engine whose fuel consumption was virtually the same.
I now have a Mainship 430 and the fuel bill with twins isn't appreciably greater than the MS 400 single, when operated at hull speed. The twins offer a lot more flexibility and much easier maneuvering. Maintenance is not double, but is more. However, the 400 single was a great boat and no regrets in owning it. If you're selling at the end of your Loop trip, resale will be much more important.
And you'll unlikely do much of the Mississippi... just St. Louis to the Ohio.

Last edited:
David, glad to have you on TF. Lots of choices for a single diesel in the size you want. I have a single and think it's a great choice but you should have at least a bow thruster and preferable a stern as well. You need to narrow your boat criteria beyond just LOA if you want some real suggestions.

However, prepping a boat for the loop could cost you as much as the fuel you'll use, so don't focus too much on the fuel price in your overall budget.

Good luck and welcome again.

Thanks for the input. What is the first year trawlers came out with bow thrusters?

Thanks for the input. What is the first year trawlers came out with bow thrusters?

Bow thrusters have been available for 40-years or so. Probably the last 20-25 years or so that they have been standard equipment on most production trawler style boats.

What is your desired budget? Have you checked the AGLA (Great Loop group)? Diesel is more desirable for several reasons, fuel efficiency is only one of them, and probably barely into the Top 5 reasons to go diesel vs gas. Getting ready to just tossing docklines is expensive, whether diesel, gas, or sail.

Peter

Last edited:
DavidJ
Welcome aboard TF.
I would not limit your search to singles only... it may be a preference but if it's strictly economics I agree with others that fuel burn likely very close whether twins or single. There are other reasons to favor both twins. & single, so need to consider the other +/- in the overall equation.
When I moved from twins to a single I was a bit concerned but found a single w both bow & stern thruster and couldn't be happier. The only thing I do not have is a back-up / get home engine. That's less of an issue with inland vs off shore / coastal cruising. Unlimited towing is not all that expensive and would add peace of mind for looping.
There are many satisfied Mainship 34 & 40 owners out there and many on the loop at any given time. You and yours need to define your cruising style, list musts, wants. & don't b wants (independantly) . Then compare, combine & compromise where necessary (avoid temptation to overrule her inputs, best to divy up where she gets priority). The combined list provides a great aid to evaluating & ranking potential candidates.
Try to make the search fun... many vacations searching & viewing candidates.

There is an amazing and impeccable Grand Banks 36’ Classic for sale in Vero Beach, Florida. Under 3000 hours on a single 3208A Caterpillar diesel. Extremely economical, bow thruster, great loop boat, and superb. If you are interested, please let me know how to connect you with the right person.

Jim

Boy what a supportive group I really appreciate it

I only need one cabin. But my wife won’t accept anything less than the about 32 feet and I don’t want to be over 38

I expect most will be able to create a bed for anyone who might visit. I have gotten my wife to agree- I don’t want to push a living room down the Mississippi.

Thanks
Dave J

Check out the Seapiper 35.

We may have your boat.

My wife and I are putting our 1986 38 Marine Trader on the market this summer. It has a 135 HP Ford Lehman diesel. We keep the boat in Cheboygan. I have been boating for 30+ years and now would like to explore away from the water.

So far away. I want to end up there in the winter but start from home. Also would like a fresh water boat.

Thanks
Dave J

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom