Everybody likes workboats, right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twiisted71

Guru
I grew up in S. Louisiana. Not quite Bobby Bouchet but close! Here's a pretty close rendering of a typical 50's-70's Lugger used for everything from shrimping, to oystering, to a base camp for fishing/trapping in a smaller boat. As you can imagine these are insanely efficient designs that could use just about any engine. They were uniformly keel-cooled with a large truck muffler so they were pretty much silent. As you can tell they weren't rough water vessels, though the low freeboard on this one is somewhat exaggerated. This one is way over-powered IMHO but I'd love to have it and add a foot or so high toe rail to help deal with wakes.

img_116792_0_08578f1b1c57a4e50e802fa31d0b2414.jpg

She's even for sale!
http://neworleans.craigslist.org/boa/3409127303.html

These Forest Service boats common on the PNW coast in the 50s were almost yachty but still very much workboats that had the jennie running almost constantly. I took this picture in Craig Alaska about two years ago.

Attachments

• STH71248 copy.jpg
    STH71248 copy.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 237
Maybe it looks more like a lafitte skiff than a lugger. Interesting note though someone told me that a Biloxi lugger has the pilot house in the front and an alabama style lugger has the pilot house in the rear. I would say its a cross from a lafitte skiff and a alabama lugger. Good find though.

Fore and aft pics of one of my favorite fishboats.

Attachments

• DSCF0763 copy.jpg
    DSCF0763 copy.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 519
  • DSCF0761 copy.jpg
    DSCF0761 copy.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 337
Great looking boats. Boats that are all business look great to me.

Interesting insights into the Lugger and Lafitte Paul.:thumb:

Edit: Sorry, forgot to upload my contribution:blush:

Attachments

• 3E13M83Nf5L95N45Fecbj822b7a79980b1860.jpg
    3E13M83Nf5L95N45Fecbj822b7a79980b1860.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 234
  • 3E33Kf3H35L95G35E3cbjc92a5d80a14613bd.jpg
    3E33Kf3H35L95G35E3cbjc92a5d80a14613bd.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Lafitte skiffs are hard chined, planing hulls with little to no deadrise. They pretty much killed the true lugger when fiberglass construction became widely accepted. With the "new" skiffs' higher speeds, shallower draft (prop tunnels), and ability to make it home every night the old luggers were mostly relegated to being left at anchor in the passes with butterfly nets. Hands would run back and forth in large OB powered flatboats between tides to sell the catch and go home for a few hours. Sadly most of the old luggers either sunk in place or after being deemed in such bad shape that a complete refit would be needed they'd be stripped of anything useful or valuable and be towed into dead end canals any where along a tree lined pass and scuttled. Sadly my grandfather's lugger met this fate. It had passed hands a couple of times after he'd sold it but it always seemed to keep a slip at his seafood dock. During one of these intended purchases the potential buyer was down in the hull checking for soundness and his screwdriver poked all the way through a plank down near the keel!! I don't have any idea of the age of that old cypress boat but I can recall that she was considered one of the older boats still around back in the early 70's! To this day I still love the smell of oil and diesel in the engine room of a wooden boat. Its one of those trigger aromas for me.
On a side note there were some "skiffs" with rounded keels but flat sterns so they'd plane out, similar to a lobster boats profile. These were known as "Harry Clan" skiffs (atleast that is what they were called down around the mouth of the Miss. River). They weren't very popular, not sure why. They did run deeper than the Lafittes and they tended to be a wetter ride but softer in a chop. By and large they also were narrower, almost like someone took a lugger hull kept the keel level and chopped the rounded stern off flat.
The pretty flare at the bow on the boat in the first post was not present to that degree on any of the cypress luggers that I can recall.

Here's some pics of a typical Lafitte style skiff. the first is a "plain jane" skiff rigged for pulling a trawl. The second is equipped with skimmers. If the net's frame made a complete box shape they would be called butterfly nets.

If you ever want to work your a$$ off get a job on one of these
img_116921_0_ca27e5b6b820c2bf2d5abb57b8e676b1.jpg

Then get a job on one of these to see the difference in work required to accomplish the same ends!!
img_116921_1_20e23009b72b26a764a7a78af684d6a1.jpg

Last edited:
The Coot does its best to emulate a workboat.

img_116928_0_140deaf5816badad708f4d88d92b30a0.jpg

These skiffs have got to be one of the most versatile hull designs out there. They are made in 15' (had one) up to the 50+ foot range all with the same basic profile! We also bought a 34' Jefferson hull (shell with 2 main stringers, nothing else) and completed it and then rented a mold and completely built a 29'er from scratch. The link below is to Jefferson F'Glass, they are one of, if not THE biggest mass producer of these boats. Scroll down after clicking the link Boats to "see more photos", if you'd like to see some more of these workhorses.

Last edited:
Spent my summers as a kid trolling for salmon with my old man off the beach in dories out of Pacific City, OR. This is not our boat, but it may as well have been:

paccitydory21.jpg

Great stuff twiisted.

Purchased plans for a 17' dory that looks remarkably similar to the boat you posted Matt. My boys and I are contemplating building it soon.

Lots of time weather prefer work boats is figured by weather they ever want to go outside.

We have a 50 ft boat with 15 ft of after deck, not loved by folks where it rains 350 days a year.

not loved by folks where it rains 350 days a year.

Ahh but I'd love your boat. I'd put an awning up that covered nearly all of the aft deck. Sittin' on the porch watching it rain is most relaxing:oldman:

Maybe I could get the same guy who did all the blue canvas on the boat in the "Devalue" thread!!!!

fstbttms,
Nice pic. Nice boat.

Good memories as I learned how to fly hang gliders there.

FF where on earth does it rain 350 days a year?

FF where on earth does it rain 350 days a year?

PNW , Every time I went to Seattle or Portland for about 20years , I only remember 5 or 6 really nice sunny days.

I think it may rain 450 days a year there!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom