Trawler Schools / Charters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wataworld

Vessel Name
Wataworld
Vessel Make
Defever 44+5
My wife and I are considering the life style, but are unsure if we, mostly I can handle the pace that trawlers go at! We will want to go far distances but economically so the 6 - 8 knot speed will be required. So we thought we should charter a boat and captain for a week to try it out. So we are looking for recomendations, or where to stay away from school that will let us help run the boat and show us the ropes for a week. We live in South Florida but are willing to travel to make it an exciting experience aswell! Your suggestions and input is appreciated!
Gregg :blush:

Greetings,
Mr. Wata. Don't worry, 6-8 knots is not all that fast. I'm sure you will handle it just fine. It's not too scary..really. Chartering is a great idea.

One you might consider is Southwest Florida Yachts. They are located in Fort Myers FL. The SW coast of FL offers lots of great opertunities for gunkholing with a number of large islands offering protected anchoring. There are numerous yacht clubs and marinas to spend a night at for a change of pace. Also the Caloosahatchee River goes from Fort Myers through a couple of locks to lake Okeechobee for a taste of inland cruising.

I have not done business with SWFY. From their website, they do offer trawler training. Went and looked at their fleet (nicely maintained) and did the planning to charter one of their boats to introduce my wife to cruising. Careers and family matters kept it from happening unfortunately.

Ted

In 1999 I did a 5 day session with Southwest Florida Yachts. It was another guy and I in a 36' GB we stayed on the boat and had a couple of days going over the mechanicals and navigation then 3 days hands on cruise. We locked up into the Okeechobee Waterway then back out around Sanibel, Cabbage Key, and Matlacha. I think the boat, Captain and material covered were very good, and the area is one of my favorites out on the water. That was a long time ago I have no recent experience with them.
Steve W

Thank you for your input! I am hoping to find not only the school but some pretty scenery or some thing to sell us on how much fun and what there is to do and see out there! RTF I realize that 6 - 8 is not that fast and that was the point I am aware that there are fast trawlers but at a much higher price of travel! I did not think to do a search for other threads found some with use full input how about the Bahamas or in the islands!

You would be hard pressed to find a more scenic Trawler training classroom than in Alaska. It's a short 1.5hr flight from Seattle to some of the most incredible scenery and wildlife viewing areas on the planet. In addition to training, the adventures available to you are only limited by your imagination. Based on what you seem to be looking for, our Defever 49 should fit the bill perfectly as it's an economical long range trawler that travels between 6 and about 7.5 kts. I'd be happy to discuss our training options with you off line, feel free to contact me through our website or see our ad in Passagemaker magazine. .........Arctic Traveller

Hi Greg,

We're on our way back from Annapolis, MD on my new 45' Northwest Trawler "The Path". It will be available for charter and Trawler lessons in January. We may have "The Path" in the Keys in January. If interested send me your contact information. Here are some pics of "The Path".

image-2352323788.jpg

image-2639945687.jpg

image-1792030242.jpg

1+ for Southwest Fl Yachts Florida Sailing Cruising and Trawler School Learn to sail vacations, boat handling lessons on sailboats, trawlers and powerboats.. I have not chartered there, but I have known Barb Hansen for a number of years. Following this and other forums for some time now and I don't recall seeing a negative comment re: Southwest Fl Yachts ever.

If you prefer a change of pace, check out Anacortes or Bellingham Wa. Several charter outfits there--hard to beat Puget Sound for beautiful scenery.

Good luck.
Chris

I'd be happy to take you aboard and do whatever length of familiarization or training you like. Boat is a Marine Trader 44, fully found. I'm retired Merchant Marine Officer, 35+ years experience master commercial vessels and private yachts. Boat is located Gulf Shores, AL. Very reasonable rates. Phone number is 601-506-0539.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom