View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #80
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
no need for gauze and antibiotics they had something back then that was pushed aside by modern medicine till the invention of the super bugs and thats honey. You simply pack the wound with honey then apply presure till bleeding stops and you are done. Honey kills all bacteria know to man, is hydroscopic, and promotes tissue regeneration with minimal scaring. I've know this for decades but only recently have i really put this to use. Two years ago i was chopping ribs when the knife slipped and stuck in the bone of my hand just above where the thumb and forefinger come together. There was blood every where and i didnt know what to do but there was a jar of honey sitting there so i slapped some on then lay down before i passed out. After a few minutes i could function again so went to the emergency room for stitches. When the doctor came in i told him what happened and showed him the wound. He said to keep it clean and it would heal just fine, thats it. I asked him if he wasnt going to clean it or anything and he said no, you have already done all that needs to be done with the honey and it will heal fine without stitches.
He was right, healed very fast and a month later not even a scar.
oh by the way, some hospitals began useing honey as a last resort against surface super bug infections lately cause the antis just dont get the job done.
I'm sure thems sailors that cared had a clean jar o' honey sitten round in the 16 and 17 hundreds to promptly care for dem blokes' wit thousant barnacale cuts who's just gots keelhauled!

But - that is interesting you mention bout Honey's wound-cleansing properties. Heard that before, but never tried it. Thanks for input!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote