CAT 3208 Tachs wiggle and die..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osprey69

Vessel Name
Rogue
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 49 MY
Is there common ground between CAT 3208 tachs as they almost simultaneously (within 30 seconds) die and recover for a bit upon start-up. Wiggled wires behind dash with no results.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you have electrical tachs. Have you inspected the pick up side for connection issues?

Is there common ground between CAT 3208 tachs as they almost simultaneously (within 30 seconds) die and recover for a bit upon start-up. Wiggled wires behind dash with no results.

Thanks in advance!

They would need to be grounded to work, so a single bad ground, where ever they share it, would cause this. I am not sure how your boat is wired, but I have worked on boats that use one of the engines as a ground bus (a terrible idea IMO) and that could certainly explain your issue. That said, I have been in the engine room on a Gulf Star 49 and it looked like it was well built and well thought out, so I doubt that's your issue.

Invest in a power probe, learn how it works, and you can use it to instantly inject a ground or +12V where ever it's needed. They are incredibly handy tools for 12V DC electrical troubleshooting.

Back
Top Bottom