MS 400 Yanmar Mounts and Mag Anodes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mml2112

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
2008 Mainship 400
I am getting the survey done on Friday for my (hopefully) new 2008 MS 400. The single Yanmar 380HP has about 1200 hours.

The Yanmar 6LY3-UTP manual indicates flexible engine mounts are to be replaced every 1000 hours or every four years. Is this really necessary?

Also, the boat has been looping and has zinc anodes since it was a salty. It has been in freshwater since last summer. I will keep it in freshwater. I am paying for a haul out for the survey, but I don't think I can get them to change to magnesium anodes on the same day. Could I wait until the fall haul out to switch to magnesium anodes?

4 years sounds excessive. Yanmar used Barry Control mounts, which like most mounts are natural rubber. You might give Barry a call

This is what Rubber Design a manufacturer in The Netherlands says:

"The life expectancy of the rubber elements will be approx. 20 years in ideal circumstances. Unfortunately ideal circumstances are not feasible, therefore the (working) life expectancy will be approx. 10 years. The life expectancy of the rubber elements is dependent on the environmental circumstances (weather influences, contaminants, etc).

This is the guidance that class inspectors use when surveying classification (Lloyds/RINA/etc) vessels.

:socool:

I can vouch that all of the rubber parts that I had on my Yanmar were heavy duty and 1st quality. This includes the Yanmar mounts, water pump impeller, and hoses. My Yanmar mounts and hoses were 20 years old when replaced as maintenance items. No apparent defects at the time. Recommended replacement of the pump impeller was 600 hours. It would come out looking new. I wouldn’t give it a second thought based on my experience.

I can vouch that all of the rubber parts that I had on my Yanmar were heavy duty and 1st quality. This includes the Yanmar mounts, water pump impeller, and hoses. My Yanmar mounts and hoses were 20 years old when replaced as maintenance items. No apparent defects at the time. Recommended replacement of the pump impeller was 600 hours. It would come out looking new. I wouldn’t give it a second thought based on my experience.
Basically agree with above. Mounts are now 15 yrs and seem fine.
I had an impeller fail at 4 yrs (& ~150 hrs) when purchased and now change mine after 3 yrs and 400-500 hrs. A lot easier when they come out whole vs 50 +/- pieces!
I'm in fresh water and have switched to all Alum anodes. I find them more readily available and couldn't locate all Mag when I looked.
If interested I can provide my list for my Yan 6LYA STP.

FYI Steve Cyr's Stella Blue website is a wealth of info for MS 400T
http://scyr.org/stellablue/index.php

Last edited:
Bacchus, are you using aluminum anodes in the engine? I can't find any in the Seattle area and the only place I can find online only sells wholesale.

We both a boat in the Seattle area and when we hauled for the survey I changed the anodes while it was hanging in the slings. There was a chandlery right there that the anodes in stock. I figured that if the deal fell through the cost of the anodes wasn’t much. I use aluminum anodes in freshwater here. Magnesium are more trouble to find.

Alum Anodes

Bacchus, are you using aluminum anodes in the engine? I can't find any in the Seattle area and the only place I can find online only sells wholesale.

Ill attach my list. Yes all alum - I've switched the hull anode to a rectangulat plate I drilled to match the oval style mtg bolts. Larger area & thicker so lasts longer. I have to cut one corner to clear the prop tunnel.
I like & use Performance Metals anodes with the reinforcing rod in the center. When I called the they asked where I was to check for a retailer but replied there were none in my area so told me to order direct.
When I first brought my boat to fresh water I looked for Mag but could not find a full compliment and was the reason I switched to Alum. Alum is getting more & more common and Mag less so.
I have found the Oil Cooler anode Yan called for eroded quickly - quicker than all others - I have switched to a longer / same size rod and having better success. There is room for the one shown as my Tranny cooler that is 1/2" longer.

Attachments

• Aluminum Anodes.pdf
    176.6 KB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom