Small, classic displacement hull trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Durant F

Guru
Vessel Name
Emma B
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 32/34
I’ve had trawlers in the PNW but always sailboats in Florida to Bahamas.
Thinking of switching to the dark side down south as well
What other small, full displacement, low hp boats are there besides the Willard 30 Vega series and the Maple Bay 27?
Looking for seaworthy and low hp efficiency

Does the 44 KK fit into your list for small?

Hi,

my thinking is that Albin's 25 Hull is SD.

The second engine option for the Albin 25 has been a Volvo 36hp and this engine gives it a cruising speed of 8 knots, which far exceeds the hull speed.

I have seen the Albi 25 move much faster than the 15 knot class, after the owner replaced an even more powerful engine.

Aricle

Early 25s had a 20hp diesel built by Albin themselves (the company originally manufactured some of the smaller models in the Volvo Range). This engine was a touch underpowered, giving a top Speed of just over eight knots, so in 1971 the builders switched to the 36hp Volvo MD3B, which lifted the Speed to around ten knots, depending on load. In 1975 the MD3B was replaced by the similarly rated MD17C, which became the standard engine for the rest of the boat’s production life. The Albin 25 might not win any races, but she won’t bankrupt the owner either: at nine knots, with an average load, she will use about 1 1Ž2 gph.

Although designing a hull to suit both power and sail can sometimes result in an unhappy compromise, on displacement motor boats it can have its advantages. To improve the sailing Performance of the motor sailer version, Brohäll carried the hull down to a deepish keel. The same keel, in the motor cruiser provides good directional stability whilst also protecting the propeller.

https://www.mby.com/motor-boat-news-boat-reviews-pictures-and-videos/archive/albin-25-11729

NBs

The Kady Krogen Manatee ?

Attachments

• KK Manatee.jpg
    KK Manatee.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 29
Legacy 32.

Attachments

• 620B6390-DE8F-4867-82C1-9299BCB7DB63.jpg
    620B6390-DE8F-4867-82C1-9299BCB7DB63.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 38
Thanks everyone
Head on the Albin 25 is too small to incorporate even a wet shower…
Others are too big or too expensive or too hard on fuel
Big nod to the Prairie 29!!
Nice couples boat.
Some serious lounge area for that length
Inexpensive enough that a reasonable one could be repowered with a Beta 60 and refitted
Appreciate the responses

If fuel consumption is the primary concern, what kind of fuel efficiency are you hoping to get? That might give the group some better ideas of what would be reasonable for you.

If fuel consumption is the primary concern, what kind of fuel efficiency are you hoping to get? That might give the group some better ideas of what would be reasonable for you.

The AT34, 400gal of fuel and a Cummins QSB 5.9, if you are carful, running at hull speed, 6.5gal/hour, 1000RPM, in theory, should be able to do the east coast USA without refueling.

What are you trying to prove other than purposely running out of fuel.

Would do the same with your car? I think not.

I will point out, the fuel consumption based on a nearly empty boat, in ordinary
weather.

Life is full of theories.

Last edited:
Hi,

you obviously meant 6,5nm/gal?

6.5gal/h sounds a bit high consumption Hull speed of your tug.

NBs

Thanks for the replies
The prairie 29 pretty well fits the bill for my requirements.
Low power
Lotsa room
Like the layout (galley up)
And, very shallow draft for Bahamas
Finally, not crazy $$

Search is over

I owned and locally cruised a Willard 30 for several years before trading-up to Weebles, a Willard 36. My wife still hasn't fully forgiven me for selling St Cyr. I'm a displacement/single-engine type of guy.

3-4 summers ago, the then-owner of my old W30 took her from Ventura CA to Olympia WA, a very long way (1500nm? Long way). AKDoug on this forum recently took his newer W30 from Alaska to La Paz, which must be 3500nms. Around 25-years ago, Steve D'Antonio and Bill Parletore (Passagemaker Magazine) took a W30 from Chesapeake to Bermuda and back (different crew returned). Despite all this strong evidence, I am not a strong believer in small displacement trawlers. In my opinion, the human weight and stores distort the displacement characteristics. Also, with a hull speed of under 6-kts in open water, makes for slow passages.

For small cruising boats, I've always admired the Rosborough 245, Albin Tournement Express 30, the Acadian/Atlas 25, and a few others. Sure, more fuel. But small boats are fairly fuel efficient.

Peter

Shoulda kept your Helmsman 31 Frank!

Hi Conrad
This question was for a southern boat.
Supply chain issues and shipping issues affected my new order for the West Coast. You will see me out there this fall on a Nordic Tug 32. Look forward to having a drink with you and catching up. Enjoy your summer!

Conrad do you really think of a Helmsman 31 as small?
And is the Eagle 32 small? I’d say no but it should be in context w the OP.
I’ll re-read

However if you were to say “for a trawler ……
wellll ….. mmmm maybe?

A “low hp” boat could be a W36 like Weebles w about 50hp. But a W36 is anything but small.

Last edited:
Small trawler

Here is a picture of my Tresfjord 28. Built in Norway. 75 hp Volvo Penta which is actually more than the boat needs. 2.1 gpm at 8.5 kts

Attachments

• 572BE4F9-8640-4945-A937-E6D27B1ED303.jpg
    572BE4F9-8640-4945-A937-E6D27B1ED303.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 14
I was looking for the ideal small trawler that was sturdy, north American built and ocean capable. I bought and completely re-fitted / modernized a 1982 Campion 310. Several friends have done the Great Loop in this model. It is ideal for a couple. Spacious forward stateroom, lower level separate galley, full head with shower, also a full size FB and covered rear cockpit with transom door to swim platform. Ours also has a single bed lower cabin that we use as a storage room. Hull size is 30ft 12' beam, full displacement. At 7kns cruise speed last summer we consumed 180us gallons of gas in 100 engine hours. I wouldn't trade my Campion for any other 30-34' competitive model. There are several resales available around Vancouver BC. Check out: https://www.facebook.com/groups/campiontrawler

There are a lot of pocket trawlers out there. Most are trailerable and many are powered by four stroke outboards.

pete

I was looking for the ideal small trawler that was sturdy, north American built and ocean capable. I bought and completely re-fitted / modernized a 1982 Campion 310. Several friends have done the Great Loop in this model. It is ideal for a couple. Spacious forward stateroom, lower level separate galley, full head with shower, also a full size FB and covered rear cockpit with transom door to swim platform. Ours also has a single bed lower cabin that we use as a storage room. Hull size is 30ft 12' beam, full displacement. At 7kns cruise speed last summer we consumed 180us gallons of gas in 100 engine hours. I wouldn't trade my Campion for any other 30-34' competitive model. There are several resales available around Vancouver BC. Check out: https://www.facebook.com/groups/campiontrawler

Thanks Gary
Very nice! I still like the Prairie 29 more as :
-It’s a southern boat and I’m thinking Florida and Abacos
-it has very shallow draft
-it is galley up… see outside more

But you are correct… they are a great boat and excellent value!
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom