dry storage boat fire in Seattle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

porman

Guru
Vessel Name
Beach Music II
Vessel Make
2003 Mainship 430 Trawler

Holy cow! That's terrible!
Booms sound like propane bottles going off

Last edited:
Arson suspect arrested.
No way!! That's low.

Did you see the guy running to the boat at the waters edge at 0:45?
My thought was drug addled homeless person. Or thief. Who else would be in that lot in the middle of the night?

Not if your boat was one of them…

I suppose, but there's a lot of old firetraps along that waterfront and across the street high-density housing and University buildings. Coulda been a lot worse.

I suppose, but there's a lot of old firetraps along that waterfront and across the street high-density housing and University buildings. Coulda been a lot worse.

I agree. While watching the video I couldn't help but think "so this is how whole cities burn down".

I recognize that as Seattle Boats the local COBAL dealer. It’s a very nice facility. You can’t keep your boat there if it’s not properly maintained. They do first class work there. I am not surprised by the arson arrest. The hole north end of Lake Union has been over run by the homeless. THere are just constant reports of vagrant vandalism to property.

Possible siphoning gas gone wrong?

Crews quickly extinguished the fire
Huh? Sounds like something the "crews" told the reporter. I'd say the boats just burned themselves out. Maybe the warehouse fire was extinguished quickly. And I have to give them credit for keeping it contained.

Anyway, I'm glad no-one was badly hurt and it didn't spread. Hopefully everyone is insured and life will go on.

Yes, you could see in the video that the fire built up and then it was dying down towards the end of the video. It was still a big fire but starting to burn out. Glad my boat wasn’t there. Feel sorry for those who lost their boats.

Told ya' it could have been worse:

Sikey Vlahos, the owner of Voula’s Offshore Cafe, and his brother got to the restaurant across the street from the boat facility around 5:45 a.m. At that point, fire crews were “at the point where they were just trying to put it out,” Vlahos said.

Attachments

• portagebaymural1-960x300_c.jpg
    portagebaymural1-960x300_c.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Looks like they got the arsonist:

https://www.king5.com/amp/article/news/crime/lake-union-boat-fire-arson-charge/281-54f40109-5732-46f1-8c01-3db27ffec34c

The article says 58 boats destroyed, $8.5 million damage.

From the article
"Arakelov has several misdemeanor convictions and pending charges, according to charging documents. He was convicted for possession of vehicle theft tools, third-degree resisting arrest and use of drug paraphernalia in 2019. He has a misdemeanor conviction for reckless driving in 2010 and possession of narcotics for sale in 2013 in California. He has pending charges for third-degree theft, possession of vehicle theft tools, possession of burglary tools and use of drug paraphernalia in 2020.

The state is also filing charges for second-degree burglary for an incident on Nov. 3, 2022."

Meaning the local judicial system has been letting this guy slide since 2010 and other events of 2013, 2019, 2020 and 2022. For this event the prosecuting attorney wanted bail at $750,000, judge set it at $100,000. I wonder if Arakelov gets a participation ribbon, now?

From the article
"Arakelov has several misdemeanor convictions and pending charges, according to charging documents. He was convicted for possession of vehicle theft tools, third-degree resisting arrest and use of drug paraphernalia in 2019. He has a misdemeanor conviction for reckless driving in 2010 and possession of narcotics for sale in 2013 in California. He has pending charges for third-degree theft, possession of vehicle theft tools, possession of burglary tools and use of drug paraphernalia in 2020.

The state is also filing charges for second-degree burglary for an incident on Nov. 3, 2022."

Meaning the local judicial system has been letting this guy slide since 2010 and other events of 2013, 2019, 2020 and 2022. For this event the prosecuting attorney wanted bail at $750,000, judge set it at $100,000. I wonder if Arakelov gets a participation ribbon, now?

This verges on politics. But I would suggest you have no information suggesting that anyone let him slide on his 2010 reckless driving or his 2013 misdemeanor drug conviction. Not is there enough information to know whether anyone let him slide on his most recent convictions, the 2019 misdemeanors. By definition, a misdemeanor carries no more than a year in jail.

There is reason to complain that his 2020 case is still pending, but I’m guessing King County still has an enormous backlog from COVID.

What difference does it make if his bail is $100K or $750K — it seems unlikely that he can post $100K.

Thread Drift!

Okay folks, lets please keep the focus of the thread on the fire and repercussions, not the arrested man's criminal past okay?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom