San Juan Islands Cruise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Cofer

Guru
Vessel Name
Puffin
Vessel Make
Willard Vega 30
First cruise of the year. Out in the San Juan Islands to Friday Harbor.

Attachments

• Under Sail.jpg
    Under Sail.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 41
  • In FH.jpg
    In FH.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Sunrise FH.jpg
    Sunrise FH.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 36
  • Flag FH.jpg
    Flag FH.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 38
Nice photos. Not common to see a sail. Could you share some insight into how you use it and pros and cons? Is it kept up even when docking?

Probably more of a steadying sail to have a stabilizing effect underway and point into the wind at anchor.

Ted

Have had this sail on board and never used it. Decided to see if there was any affect and have a little fun at the same time. As an aid to propulsion it did nothing even when deployed on a downwind leg. As a steadying sail it did show some small usefulness with beam seas and wind. As a vessel under sail we were able to have some fun with our boating friends and teasing them about giving way to us. We kept it raised when pulling into port as a nod to "Captain Ron". Additionally it looks kind of cool.

Cheers

Even a sailboat with its sails raised is considered a power boat if the engine is running.

David

Would love to know about the effectiveness of the steadying sail. I have thought about rigging one on our Californian 42 LRC. We often travel to Catalina and back which is often a beam reach with rolling seas. Seems like this would be perfect.

We have steadying sails (jib, main, mizzen) and they work surprisingly well in a beam sea/wind. Reduces roll but about 50%, mizzen helps manage sailing on anchor.

I'd say our rig is a quite a bit larger than typical steadying sails installed on trawlers but still far smaller than a similarly sized motorsailor.

Main mast is about 30' tall, mizzen is 20'. Jib is a hank-on Yankee style and doesn't get put up often. I've love to install a roller furler with a big genoa up there.

Bob - nice Willard!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-24 at 10.17.17 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-03-24 at 10.17.17 AM.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
With that front sail up, does it feel like you're piloting with your eyes closed?

Niiiice!

When we owned a Willard 30 we used the steadying/stay sail when crossing the Strait of Georgia and it worked fantastic on our boat when taking beam seas. We did not need to tack like the other vessels crossing the straits. Made the ride very comfortable, kind of a rocking horse motion when on the flybridge. But….coming into a marina with it up is not recommended as it will get blown around and with the single screw it will be high anxiety time trying to dock….this I know from experience.

Did you notice any progress on rebuilding Herb's Tavern?

It's not going to be rebuilt. As of now it is going to be a community garden. My bet is that spot will eventually be condo's or some sort of mixed use building. It's a shame that they have decided not to rebuild.

When we owned a Willard 30 we used the steadying/stay sail when crossing the Strait of Georgia and it worked fantastic on our boat when taking beam seas. We did not need to tack like the other vessels crossing the straits. Made the ride very comfortable, kind of a rocking horse motion when on the flybridge. But….coming into a marina with it up is not recommended as it will get blown around and with the single screw it will be high anxiety time trying to dock….this I know from experience.

Hi Keith,

You are absolutely right about pulling in with the sail up. The only reason we did is that it was dead calm that day and we had to sail past about 15 of our cruising buddies.

We are looking forward to giving it an actual test this summer crossing the Straights on our way north.

Nice to hear from you again!

Back
Top Bottom