View Single Post
Old 03-23-2023, 12:12 PM   #10
kthoennes
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
We had our flybridge removed for shipping from New York to South Dakota (1500 road miles), but then our Mainship is the cruiser/big white tennis shoe style so might not be too comparable. I have heard lots of stories that unless you're very lucky, things are never quite right after a removal and re-install. We purposely chose Coeyman's Landing Marina on the Hudson, just below Albany, because they were a Mainship dealer and service center in the past and were Mainship experts. We got very lucky on both ends. Coeymans did a fantastic job for us as we hoped, and then our marina in Yankton also did a great job, but it was a huge amount of work overall. $3500 for the reinstall at our home marina. It's hard to peel out the cost of just the removal on the New York end though since we had them do a lot of other work for us while they were at it, and they also handled loading on the 18-wheeler, building the cradles for the bridge and aft roof, etc. Removing the props. They also had to remove and reinstall the aft deck roof, which your model doesn't have. It's a big job even for a relatively small boat like ours.

You'll hear everybody say, label, label, label. Have the same techs who do the disassembly handle the reassembly, etc. Nice if you can do that, but we didn't even ask Eric from Coeymans if he wanted to spend a week in South Dakota during his home marina's high season on the Hudson. Every single thing came back together perfectly for us except for two things -- an oil pressure gauge wire got crossed, and they didn't wire the AIS to the VHF radio display correctly, but if those were the only two issues, we were incredibly lucky.

Different route and different model of boat I know, but maybe those observations are helpful. I remember when the truck drove into the boat yard in Yankton and I saw all the pieces and crates and cradles and no props and the railings were lashed to the truck trailer and it bristled 2x4's and our big tall boat looked all sad and stripped down and naked and small, I wanted to cry -- thought to myself, there is no way on earth that will all come back together, our boat is wrecked. But it came together.

Our five year plan is to ship the boat to Duluth on Lake Superior and then sail out into the world, but I'm already trying to figure out if there's a highway route between here and there that accommodates an over-height shipment, even if we need permits and pilot cars. We got lucky once, but I would rather not ever do that again.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote