Bottom Paint Update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I will have to bottom paint this year and am looking for an update on what is available. I currently have Petit Trinidad on the boat and I believe it is the "regular" version. I understand that some versions (SR) of this are no longer available:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums...sr-anti-fouling-paint-discontinued-57395.html

My situation; KK42, so 7.5 kts through water. I'm freshwater moored and typically only go into saltwater 3 months or less a year. The last two times I hauled the yard manager said give it a scuff and be done with it. So the paint is now 10 years old. It's a hard, non ablative paint. The yard manager said don't put an ablative paint on it. I'd rather not because I see a lot of boats in the yard with a significant buildup.

This is the product I am thinking of using:

https://pettitpaint.com/trinidad75

Defender has this product:

https://defender.com/en_us/pettit-t...MI8LyIkN7t_QIVXw-tBh2EyADjEAAYASAAEgKJbvD_BwE

and states it is a "Hard Durable Finish".

Thoughts?

Jim

For what it's worth, if a boat with ablative paint is accumulating significant paint buildup, that means they're putting too much paint on the boat. After the initial coats, new paint should only be added to replace what's worn off, not just blindly slapping a coat or 2 on every chance they get.

I've been using the Pettit Trinidad Pro which was the same as Pettit Trinidad but only sold to boatyards for about $100 less per gallon. This was Pettits way of supporting the boatyards who couldn't compete with the online merchants. I'm curious why you're not going back with Trinidad Pro?

I absolutely agree with you that ablative is pointless at 7 knotts.

Ted

Thanks Ted: No decision yet. The paint was put on by a boat yard in Anacortes. I just understood it was Trinidad Petit. No further information.

Either way, I will likely be doing this myself, and remember, I'm "importing" as this product isn't available in Canada. So likely getting it delivered to either Point Roberts or some other location in the North Sound and picking it up by boat when we go down for a visit to La Conner. We will make a few days of it. Time to get some fuel. Diesel is about $5.25USD/ gallon in Canada right now.

Jim

The HD is certainly cheaper, but much less copper content. The 75 looks like 61%, and the pro has 63%.
I was thinking of using the pro this year when I haul, but I’m going to look at the 75 a little closer. They claim true dark black, that would be nice.

Jim, curious how you came to choose Trinidad products. In your area is that the popular choice, the brand sold at boatyards?

I have used Interlux for the above reasons, most common brand on the shelves I have seen.

Jim, curious how you came to choose Trinidad products.

In this professional hull cleaner's opinion, there are no better hard paints than the Trinidad line. They are the only hard paints that I ever recommend.

Why hard and not ablative BTW

I never said I didn't recommend any ablatives. Unfortunately the best one ever made (Interlux Micron 66) has been, like Trinidad SR, discontinued. I have no experience with whatever Interlux product is replacing it.

But horses for courses and the OP is asking about hard paints.

I never said I didn't recommend any ablatives. Unfortunately the best one ever made (Interlux Micron 66) has been, like Trinidad SR, discontinued. I have no experience with whatever Interlux product is replacing it.

Re asking, as in since there is a choice, how to decided which to go hard or ablative.

Re asking, as in since there is a choice, how to decided which to go hard or ablative.

Well, as you undoubtedly know, everything in boating is a compromise. Hard paints have advantages as do ablatives:

Hard paint advantages
Durability/longer life span
Typically higher copper content

Ablative paint advantages
Tends not to build up over successive paint jobs
Can withstand exposure to air
Wider choice of colors

It depends upon your needs.

I'm still waiting to see some reviews on it (it's only been out for a bit over a year I think), but as far as I can tell, the replacement for Micron 66 is the newer Micron Extra SPC. By reading through the documentation, it seems similar to Micron 99 (pro application and large boats only) that's been available for a while and not all that different from Micron 66. If it proves to work as well as Micron 66 then it comes with 1 big advantage: the new stuff can work in fresh water.

Based on an SDS comparison, all 3 paints contain a similar amount of copper. Micron 99 and Micron Extra SPC contain more zinc oxide than Micron 66, but they drop the zinc pyrithione that M66 has. Carrier ingredients vary, but nothing strikes me as a huge difference. So hopefully the new stuff is just Micron 66 adjusted to work in fresh water.

Once I use up the last bit of Micron CSC I have on hand (should happen this coming fall) I expect I'll buy some of the Micron Extra SPC to try out with the hope that it'll do a better job of keeping slime off the hull.

...as far as I can tell, the replacement for Micron 66 is the newer Micron Extra SPC.

Now that you mention it, I believe this is correct. :thumb:

BTW- for those who like to use Micron 66- in the Bay Area at least, there is still some old stock available. Get it while you can.

I am using Trinidad Pro red.
That had highest copper content, and I travel in salt and mooring in brackish.

No slim protection, but working.

Jim, curious how you came to choose Trinidad products. In your area is that the popular choice, the brand sold at boatyards?

I have used Interlux for the above reasons, most common brand on the shelves I have seen.

It was on the hull when I imported the boat. It’s great stuff. No buildup. And you can’t get it in Canada.

Jim

I've used Trinidad SR in fresh water (Great Lakes), worked well.

I don't think you can get Trinidad or Micron 66 in Canada. You can get Micron CSC, which I tried, and would not try again.

In this professional hull cleaner's opinion, there are no better hard paints than the Trinidad line. They are the only hard paints that I ever recommend.

5+years with Trinidad Pro in the SE US. Monthly slime scrub. Love the stuff

I've ordered 3 gallons of Pettit Trinidad Pro, and one Raritan replacement anode for the water heater. Its time to do the water heater again.

Jim

I've ordered 3 gallons of Pettit Trinidad Pro, and one Raritan replacement anode for the water heater. Its time to do the water heater again.

Jim

will three gallons give you two full coats?

Back
Top Bottom