Old 03-22-2023, 01:04 AM   #11
BruceK
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post
Optima and Odyssey in the same sentence sounds odd. Here, those are two different brands. Reading suggests Optima started out with a good rep, and has gone downhill from there... apparently after being sold off to a different manufacturer from original.

An Odyssey G31 sounds very viable for a thruster, if that's what will fit. Somebody on the forum recently confirmed one of the thruster installer companies over here usually fits two Odyssey G31s near their thrusters...

Sounds like a huge battery for genset starting. Our current is a flooded G24, and whenever it craps out I'll probably switch to a relatively tiny Odyssey Extreme ODX-AGM34 (was PC-1500) with 850 CCA.

BTW, we ran for several years with no charger on our genset battery other then the generator's alternator. The AGM didn't self-discharge much, so no problem. We happen to have a dedicated charger for the genset battery on this boat, and our other banks are 24V, so I'll keep it I guess... but don't really think it's all that necessary in an all-12V boat. Especially if it's easy to use jumper cables from some other 12V source in an emergency.

Pinning down those connection between batteries will probably move you further ahead...

-Chris
Yes, I conflated Optima and Odyssey and Optima. I`ve ordered an Optima, cca 815,should keep the thruster turning the few times I use it.
Onan recommend a 135Ah battery for starting, it does seems huge. The genset of my previous boat had only its alternator for charge, I fitted a modest solar panel and simple regulator. I`ve ordered a 130Ah/1000cca AGM for it.

The thread took a lithium vs.everything else turn. I think I`m set, hope to discover the "combiner" method Integrity used. In a year or so I`ll likely be all AGM, solving how to set the charger.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote