Trip from Harrison, Tennessee to Jupiter, Florida.......HELP!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jitylu

Vessel Make
Mainship Trawler
Hello esteemed community:

Planning to take a trawler from Harrison, TN to Jupiter, FL. Does anyone have any vague idea how long a trip like that would take.....going average of 8 knots for about 6 to 7 hours a day?
Thank you so much.

I can get you pretty close. In recent months, we ran from Soddy-Daisy, TN to Stuart, FL and it took us 197 travel hours averaging about 8 mph, as measured by NEBO. You’ll need to factor in stops for fuel, food, fatigue and weather to get a more realistic estimate of the total time commitment. You’d also need to add a few hours between Stuart and Jupiter. Good luck.

Last edited:
We ran from Knoxville to Pensacola in 2019. We were not in a hurry. Took us 5 weeks. This was in October-Nov, so we had to dodge a lot of river debris.

We stopped 2-3 times a week at various marinas to do laundry and restock the galley. At one point we rented an Air BnB for two nights so I could cook about 20 meals worth of chicken & beef to replenish our freezer. We also stopped at a marina with an inexpensive Travelift and had the bottom paint renewed.

The Florence, Abalama, marina in protected O'Neal Harbor has a decent restaurant. We visited some amazing musical heritage spots across the bridge in Muscle Shoals, spent 4 (or was it 5?) days there. But it wasn't just for sightseeing; we were simply dang tired by then and needed a few days to chill. (Did I mention we're old?)

We waited out a tropical storm at the Columbus Marina for 3 days.

You are just above Chatanooga, so you can knock off 4-6 days (in terms of getting to Pensacola). From Pensacola to Stuart, depending on weather windows and how much you like to dawdle, I'd plan on another 3-5 weeks.

And your plan to cruise 6-7 hours a day is smart. Any longer can be exhausting, especially dodging river debris and waiting for locks to open.

But oh my, once you enter Mobile Bay, the smell of the salt air and the sight of the dolphins welcoming you is exhilarating. Once you're in the saltwater, it's a whole new feeling. A feeling of renewal.

If you stop in to Fairhope Marina on the east side of Mobile Bay, be sure to find and try Fairhope Brewery's Cheap Sunglasses golden ale.

Enjoy the cruise,
Mrs. Trombley

Back
Top Bottom