mvweebles
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
One of the things I didn't mention:

In photos as I "shop" boats a lot of them have 2 anchors on the bow, a "big" one and small one. Seems most of time they are both CQRs that look to have been used, but even the "big" is way too small IMO.

My 41' sailboat came from the factory with a 44# Delta. That was soooo much more anchor than I am seeing on 40-45' trawlers.

Oh well, everything on boats can be fixed with the proper application of CASH
Anchor itself probably won't make or break your choice of boat. But one thing you may want to pay attention to is whether there is adequate distance between the roller and the windlass. CQRs are probably the longest shank anchor out there so instantly indicates adequate distance. Also, not all boats (power or sail) have adequate chain stoppers to hold chain fast when stowed on roller.

One place where trawlers typically excel compared to sail is anchor locker - many sailboats simply do not have enough fall, especially older sailboats with very fine, raked bows.

Unless a boat has been seriously cruised by a knowledgeable owner, chances are the ground tackle system is going to need some attention. If you're lucky, only an anchor.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote