Old 03-18-2023, 02:10 PM   #34
Comodave
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus View Post
Line heats up under strain. Particularly bad if covered and cycling strain/no strain. Some would argue it weakens line over time. Others say covers trap salt crystals and dirt. They say those can cut the fibers of line when it cycles strain/no strain. In spite of this have used discarded fire hose at times. Nylon isn’t abrasion resistant and will chafe quickly and badly. Fortunately not that expensive so can be replaced without a mortgage. Ideally a snubber run should have no chafe points so need no line protection but sometimes unavoidable. I purchased some very thin bendable SS plates with adhesive on the back. That does provide a very smooth surface and allows avoiding a covering. I do play a hose on dock lines whenever I can. In the tropics then spray them with bug killer (bop) and after it rains. No cockroaches.
I use the Davis Chafe Protectors. They are heavy duty nylon with Velcro to hold them in place. They will let water into the line they are protecting so it helps keep the lines cooler and help prevent overheating of the line. I have not had the nylon covers get any significant wear. But they are sacrificial anyway. They are simple to put on and I have never had them come loose.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote