Trawler vs Keelboat for liveaboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PNW? No question trawler. We spent 4 "seasons" (Mid April to Mid Oct) sailing from Sequim Wa, to AK, and then back. Cal 46 (modified) is as much as equal sail/power "motor sailer". In the PNW we were under power 90%. Sailing down the coast, and thru the Panama Canal and then up to Pensacola, we sailed 90% of the time.

Love the Cal 46. Almost bought one but decided we needed 3 full cabins. That was the boat that put us on the path to trawlers.

I am 63 years old, my Admiral is 60. She has MS, and uses a cane on docks and on land. A wheel chair at boat shows and museums. Trawler with swim platform and walk thru transom. No ladders, molded F/G stairs to the fly bridge (MS 390) is our choice. We have railings and extra hand holds all around the perimeter of our MS 390. She LOVES it.

However, if several of those factors were not in-play, we'd prefer a sail boat with a keel, that can help us choose the outside routes more often than the ICW skinny waters... and then there is the *security* of getting home by sail if/when needed.

I grew up with my familiy's 31 ft Seafarer full-keel sailboat. I was heading out in the afternoons LOVING white caps while all my class mates (many of whom were lobstering) where heading IN when I was heading OUT!

It did not take me long to figure out that a cruising "rag hanger" puts their miles on in the afternoons, trying to make port at sunset before dark. Conversely, a "smoker" was up with the sun trying to make their destination by noon or 1:00pm before the wind picked up... which made for an uncomfortable day at sea. (generalizing in both cases).

SO, the crux of the matter for ME is the fitness of your CREW to be climbing all over a sail boat vs. making it easy to get on and off the boat without assistance in many ports of call. Imagine how my Admiral would feel if she ALWAYS needed my assistance to simply get on and off our boat?!?!?!

Then there is the issue of what YOUR crew's preferred time of day to be underway.

Do you "like" the idea of staying on the "inside" on the ICW?
OR
Do you "lust" for the ability to go out when you want to and have the *security* of sailing as a back up plan. Obviously, twins can help.

That's my 2 cents! Hope you enjoyed.

Ray
Shellerina.com

Doing the LOOP is easy... some open water for sure... but mostly no blue water.
If you want to follow the seasons north and south on the eastern seaboard, power is easy. If you have aspirations to go beyond those waters, and you [both] have the health and physical dexterity I would consider sail.

It depends on your desired "GO-NO/GO Criteria". That is the huge determining factor for your decision and discernment.

Last edited:
Trawler vs Sailboat

As many said and Peter's comment about having the best of both worlds. Buy a trawler and have a sailing something you can put over the side to sail around visiting folks in the anchorage.

We have a 36' GB and we keep a rowable, 8' Dyer Sailing Dinghy on chocks on the trunk top. Launch and retrieve with our boom and electric wench....pretty slick. And use the dinghy for deck storage when not sailing around. Also have an inflatable off the transom with OB. Best of both world! "The Way Life Should be"

Happy selecting.
Best regards,
Mike Dana
Third Reef
36' Grand Banks Classic #819
Potts Harbor Maine(South Harpswell)

Trawler vs Keelboat

WestCoastMcGyver, there is an article in the new issue of 'Passagemaker' about someone who just switched to a trawler after owning 3 sailboats over 30-odd years, the last a 55' Amel in which they made several long ocean voyages. He said something that I think sums up the issue as well as anything I have read:

" When we pass a sailboat motoring in the rain, and I'm in my slippers in the pilothouse with a warm cup of coffee, I don't miss sailing at all."

PNK

WestCoastMcGyver, there is an article in the new issue of 'Passagemaker' about someone who just switched to a trawler after owning 3 sailboats over 30-odd years, the last a 55' Amel in which they made several long ocean voyages. He said something that I think sums up the issue as well as anything I have read:

" When we pass a sailboat motoring in the rain, and I'm in my slippers in the pilothouse with a warm cup of coffee, I don't miss sailing at all."

PNK
My life long sailing buddies are giving me a (fun) hard time about switching to the trawler life. I asked them over a beer, "How many times have we moved sailboats for people (Bermuda, Bahamas, Florida, Caribbean, US East coast) and how much of that time did we have to motor?" Uuuummm, another beer please!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom