Grandbanks Classic 1980

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rich123

Hi to you all thanks for your membership any one with a full wiring diagram would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20230217_164046.jpg
    20230217_164046.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 45
That doesn’t look like a 1980 Grand Banks.

Universal Marine
Make builder
Co ITC Keeling 1977 build started reg 1980 from paper work, reg number romp 3519 so what is i as i have to get wiring diagrams ASAP any constructive help genuinely appreciated

Unfortunately there probably isn’t much hope to find a wiring diagram for that age boat. Maybe I will be wrong but I wouldn’t hold much hope in finding one. Most likely you will have to do the grunt work and trace out the wiring. Really in that vintage of boat things have probably been modified several times anyway. A wiring diagram of the engine should be possible to find though. What engine do you have in it?

Thanks Dave got all the manuals for the 6cyl ford lehman etc just not sure of exactly the model of the boat.

I found the wiring diagram on our boat. It's barely legible and I was wondering if there was a way to restore it's legibility. It's like the old classic blueprint style.

In a 40 year old boat the original wiring diagram wouldn't be much use. Lots of owner modifications have been made.

pete

True so depressing and no a answer's to anything not even model of boat if it's not a Grandbanks then what is it, all the paper work Is dutch or thia nothing on ships log sheet either.

Question seeking a wiring diagram for a new-to-me boat comes up pretty regularly. I have to wonder why? What drives the query? And yes even if one existed, chances are it's useless. The stuff that doesn't change is pretty straightfoward - there's a switch/breaker, and a wire to the device. For the stuff that changes - electronics - no wiring exists then or now. You have to look for the sub-panel that was wired in, hope there are fuses, and go from there. As a matter of fact, best advice would be to find all the red wires on all add-on electrical/electronic devices and locate the fuse and make sure you have a replacement - could be dozens of them. Good idea to map these too. Will take a while but could really lower blood pressure down the road when something doesn't light-up when you want to leave an anchorage....

The other 'change' stuff is heavy DC cabling because battery installs often change over time, especially with addition of an inverter which can (and likely does) mean the original DC cabling to the panel is under-sized. It can be a bit challenging to locate and identify all the heavy cables and shunts but will make your life easier if you do it upfront with a diagram. Finally, check for over-current protection on the heavy POS cables - often doesn't exist on older boats.

Peter

Universal Marine
Make builder
Co ITC Keeling 1977 build started reg 1980 from paper work, reg number romp 3519 so what is i as i have to get wiring diagrams ASAP any constructive help genuinely appreciated

Thanks Dave got all the manuals for the 6cyl ford lehman etc just not sure of exactly the model of the boat.

Not easy to interpret your short-hand...

But you can sometimes dredge individual system manuals from the 'net somewhere. Identification plate on marine gears? Use that info to identify manufacturer and model, go rummage for manual. Et cetera.

I think some of your note comes for interpreting your HIN? If so, maybe rummage on the 'net for models from that maker. (According to Yachtworld, there's a sailboat built by Universal Marine for sale in Italy, just now. OTOH, the Wiki entry for Universal Marine doesn't mention any "trawler" models.)

As others have said, an original wiring schematic probably isn't in the cards... since some (many?) boat builders never actually did that, especially way back when.

You can maybe begin a conceptual schematic yourself, simply by switching breakers on and off, or removing small fuses... see what works before and after, what doesn't. Then maybe use that to actually trace electricity (fox 'n' hound approach) afterwards.

-Chris

Last edited:
You can maybe begin a conceptual schematic yourself, simply by switching breakers on and off, or removing small fuses... see what works before and after, what doesn't. Then maybe use that to actually trace electricity (fox 'n' hound approach) afterwards.

-Chris
ranger58sb has given you the key. You'll be creating a one-line diagram. A very simple 'picture' of this breaker/switch/fuse powers that device. The one-line won't show DC (+) or (-) or AC hot/neutral/ground. It will just show a single line from power source to device. I would at minimum make two diagrams, one for DC and one for AC. DC could have multiple one-line diagrams, charging system, navigation electronics, lighting ets. Label things as you figure them out. At first it will seem a monumental task but as you learn your systems it will go faster. And the knowledge you gain from the exercise will be invaluable. A helper will make it much easier. One crawling around the boat the other turning breakers/switches/fuses on / off.

A note to all on boats, the older the the boat and the newer the boater the more this applies. I often see newer boaters refering to or asking questions about a model as if it were a modern autombile that rolled off a factory line. Looking for things like wiring diagrams. Almost all boats are hand built, there will be variations even between two boats built from the same builder relatively close together in time. The differences among boats of the same 'model' only grow with time.

Sounds like it’s time to hire a marine electrician to speed up the identification process.

Sounds like it’s time to hire a marine electrician to speed up the identification process.

Maybe, if speed is critical.

OTOH, at $125-150/hour, folks can often rummage around themselves to come up with at least decent "starting point" info much less expensively.

I'm pretty quick to "hire a guy" when I know I need to, and I've recently been relatively lucky to find good guys and get good service. New inverter/charger (complicated), some new electronics (ditto), new batteries in one bank (too heavy), a couple new ACs (complicated), freezer repair (complicated), another pair of new batteries on the immediate horizon (still too heavy)...

OTOH... that pesky wallet doesn't always cooperate... and in fact there's still a lot of stuff perfectly within my reach... so maybe I can sometimes take the Admiral out to dinner instead.

:)

Anyway, OP might well be easily capable of all that "starting point" stuff... given that electrical stuff isn't conceptually rocket science. Lot's o' critical details down the road, of course, but getting started can be an easy-enough first step.

-Chris

Last edited:
On two trawlers I have had from that era (a 1973 GB50 and a 1979 GB42) the electrical systems schematics were very high level and not much help for fixing the issues that came up from time-to-time.

A toy I recently bought (following advise in the forum) is a this wire tracer:

Fluke Pro3000 Tone Generator

https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-Networ...ator/dp/B000FTADX0?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

It helps in the tracing of individual wires and cables throughout the boat. One connects the tone generator at one end of the wire and the wand produces a tone when it is near the same wire throughout the boat. (I found that it helps if one cuts-off all power in the boat–both DC and, specially, AC–as this reduces static.)

Attachments

• fluke.jpg
    fluke.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
As mentioned, not a Grand Banks Classic. Looks like a Marine Trader or Monk or Island Gypsy. You should be able to find the manufacturer info via your HIN. And as a DIY kinda guy that is not into electrical.....get and pay for a good Marine Electrician.

Good luck.
Mike Dana
Third Reef
36' Grand Banks Classic #819
Potts Harbor Maine (South Harpswell)

Our Formula came with a complete set of owners manuals. Very unusual with a 25 year old boat. It had the wiring diagrams for the whole boat. I asked Formula for them and they sent me ones in electronic form so I can carry them on my iPad. Comes in handy.

Sorry for not replying currently laid up myself down to bad health will come back when better.

Last edited:
No mate can't walk it will be a few weeks �� thanks for asking �� I've decided to use a snap power probe ect900 master kit also my 4 channel scope for checking wave forms on signal wiring when able.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom