Boats that give normal liveaboards a bad rep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lostsailor13

Vessel Name
Broadbill
Vessel Make
Willard 36
Not the best quality photo,but look at the trash bags this slob leaves in the cockpit,I counted 7,totally gross

Attachments

• 5A88ABC7-4B7C-4656-9C44-5F3B86460ADE.jpg
    5A88ABC7-4B7C-4656-9C44-5F3B86460ADE.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Just because they are garbage bags does not mean it is stinking garbage.

Could be clothes, bedding, lots of things.

I’m 3 boats,he’s not picking up garbage at the beach,the boat has not left the slip in years,I’ve been 3 boats over from him for 3 years,he’s a lazy gross pig who builds up all his household trash and once a month brings it to the dumpster,it’s disgusting,next time I see him I’m gonna say something

I agree. Once a week at least eh?

Maybe disability? At my dock there are 5 mobility scooters parked next to boats.

If I were a liveaboard I would do everything in my power to not raise negative attention to me or my boat.

I would think if the trash is ON HIS BOAT,, it's none of YOUR business,, and he will probably tell you so.. If its a problem for the marina, they would have dealt with it by now..>>>Dan

If I was in that marina it would be some of my business. I wouldn’t pay marina rates to be next to a garbage dump.

Comodave I agree with you,it is my business,because during winter with no other boats I love the view,and to look out and see a garbage scow sitting there is aggravating,if you have seen my boat it is immaculate,and I’m a respectful neighbor to be next to and would never know that my boat is a liveaboard

You would think that, if it was truly garbage, the critters would've torn into it each night. I'm all for a nice view but I don't want my neighbor telling me what to do with *my* property because *he* doesn't like it.
My land neighbor timbered *his* property just down the street from me. Do I like it? No, it looks like heck but I don't have a darn thing to do with his property so I don't have a right to complain.
I swear I'm not trying to be oppositional but why dont you offer to take his trash up for him? That'll probably get it cleaned up faster than yelling at him to do it.

I’ve been in some marinas with some pretty significant derelict/hoarder looking boats which I am no fan of. The boat in the photo is shipshape and Bristol fashion compared to many I’ve seen. But I’d tell the marina, who’s business it really is, and point out which of their own rules are in violation. If they choose not to do anything as owner and manager of the marina, it’s time for me to move elsewhere. It’s one thing to ask someone to stop blocking the dock with their junk which directly affects my use and safety. It’s another to tell someone to clean up their boat because it offends my sensibilities and disturbs my view.

Ask him if he needs help getting his garbage to the dumpster. Sometimes it's not worth being bothered by a problem you can help solve. Would it be worth making a couple trips to the dumpster to regain your sanity?

I’m 3 boats,he’s not picking up garbage at the beach,the boat has not left the slip in years,I’ve been 3 boats over from him for 3 years,he’s a lazy gross pig who builds up all his household trash and once a month brings it to the dumpster,it’s disgusting,next time I see him I’m gonna say something

Now you tell us the real issue here. What does the Marina say about your neighbor?

This thread makes me think twice. The marina (yacht club) I have a slip in, has a condo association board member whose job is the "appearance committee ". He walks the docks periodically to make sure. Dock hoses are coiled back up on the hose holder, power cords and lines are neat, your boat is kept reasonably clean and the marina is neat, clean and appealing. I use to think this was ridiculous.

He's a nice polite person who politely asks people to take care of their problems. After numerous requests or flat refusals by the boat owner, your boat is thrown out of the marina or they take legal action against you.

A boat a couple of slips down from me was in poor appearance condition when it came in. After numerous requests to redo the bright work and keep the hull kept clean, the lease wasn't renewed and they were forced to leave. I felt sorry for the older couple that had bought the boat as a retirement liveaboard, but they had clearly taken on a project boat that they just weren't interested in doing the projects on. Clearly a boat heading towards being a derelict.

I've come to appreciate the job the board member does in getting people to keep their boats relatively squared away to keep appearances reasonable and prevent boats from becoming derelicts in the marina.

Ted

Not the best quality photo,but look at the trash bags this slob leaves in the cockpit,I counted 7,totally gross

That boat is no where near the standard of boats with trash yet. Boats with real trash piled on them would never be at a dock. Go down to the Keys there are anchored boats with 4" of bottom growth, a week plus of trash, 4 torn apart outboards, 3 rusting Harbor Freight generators and 2 half sunk dinghies.

Where I’m at an unattended trash bag would be ripped open by the seagulls and crows. Seen it happen many times. Doesn’t seem to be a problem for this guy.
I guess as long as there’s a path to the companionway he’s happy.

"Appearance committee". Things like this can get out of hand. I was on a condo board for a few years and the power makes people crazy. I think there has to be an objective standard and clearly spelled out rules. Sure, trash bags and loose hoses are easy, but what if I paint my boat purple and orange ? What if I have girlie posters visible from the dock ? What if my mast is laying on my fordeck while I work on it ? How long can I leave an empty dock cart on the dock before I return it....is 2 minutes OK ? 2 hours ? Can I decorate my boat in a "Tiki" theme with grass trim and a totem pole ?

It gets really difficult to legislate "good taste" becase a boat owner and the committee member might have different concepts of what looks good.

As long as the "appearance committee" doesn't violate state or federal discrimination rules or housing rules...can't they pretty much do whatever they want?

A few restaurants are prohibiting children now so I am not sure that "good taste" isn't a stretch for a private property owner/corp can't dictate it and as long as they are reasonable defend it in court.

"Appearance committee". Things like this can get out of hand. I was on a condo board for a few years and the power makes people crazy. I think there has to be an objective standard and clearly spelled out rules. Sure, trash bags and loose hoses are easy, but what if I paint my boat purple and orange ? What if I have girlie posters visible from the dock ? What if my mast is laying on my fordeck while I work on it ? How long can I leave an empty dock cart on the dock before I return it....is 2 minutes OK ? 2 hours ? Can I decorate my boat in a "Tiki" theme with grass trim and a totem pole ?

It gets really difficult to legislate "good taste" becase a boat owner and the committee member might have different concepts of what looks good.

You are absolutely correct, but so can just about anything. I think this man has been doing the job since the marina was built (20 years). Maybe the next guy will be over zealous. But right now I think he's very reasonable and does a good job at giving boaters time to correct their problems.

Ted

"Appearance Committee" reminds me of the statement, "Any club that would have me, I don't want to join"

pete

That boat is no where near the standard of boats with trash yet. Boats with real trash piled on them would never be at a dock. Go down to the Keys there are anchored boats with 4" of bottom growth, a week plus of trash, 4 torn apart outboards, 3 rusting Harbor Freight generators and 2 half sunk dinghies.

Ahhhh, but that's the allure of the Keys!!!

I wouldn’t approach the boat owner. I would however approach the marina management and complain to them about it. Let them deal with it. That is part of what you are paying them to do when you pay your slip fees. It may he that no one else has complained so the marina staff doesn’t care. Your job it to make them care. Maybe get other slip holders to complain also.

The bags are ripped open from the seagulls,and on numerous occasions with the wind cranking I’ve seen rubbish blowing out of the boat,when you buy a boat to live in only,and it never leaves the dock,and has mountains of trash stacked up,ya it annoys me

If my neighbors come over and request I make a change to our house, our property or our boat because it annoys them, I will explain to them that they're welcome to make an offer to purchase anything I have and once they own it they can make the necessary changes needed to make them happy. Otherwise, I'll point them back to their own property & tell them to mind their own business. Same thing when we're cruising and tied up at a marina. If I'm not breaking any rules in the slip that I'm renting, I don't need my neighbors opinions unless I ask for it.

The bags are ripped open from the seagulls,and on numerous occasions with the wind cranking I’ve seen rubbish blowing out of the boat,when you buy a boat to live in only,and it never leaves the dock,and has mountains of trash stacked up,ya it annoys me

If the above in post # 25 is a true and accurate description of the issue, you are describing an entirely different situation than you did in post # 1.
Post # 25 is grounds for action, IMHO, post # 1 is not.

Reading posts 1,3,and 5 together, why no approach to boat owner or management in 3 years? You want change, you talk to them. TF can`t fix it.

If you think that's bad, come over to False Creek in Vancouver. It's typical to see quasi-homeless people with 2 or 3 boats lashed together into a trash island that's piled high with random scavenged junk, and maybe surrounded with a few half-sunk rafts.

At least until a storm comes along, and it all winds up on a nearby beach.

Back
Top Bottom