Eyeing the Loop from Austin, TX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scook1

Hi team,

Hopeful to start the loop in '25 with my young family. We've spent a little time on sailboats, and lived briefly in our class A motorhome which we traveled throughout the pacific northwest and American Southwest.

We intend to take a sabbatical year or so, and execute the great loop. Will have a 4 year old and an 8 year old at that time.

In the next year or so, I intend to get some education, maybe do a short charter, read some Nigel Calder books, and figure out how we can get insurance on a ~40 foot trawler.

If I could draw up the plan, we would likely purchase a $100k trawler that is coming off the loop circuit in late '23 or early '24. Put our home on the rental market, move aboard and spend a few months, and a few dollars making appropriate upgrades and repairs. Hire a captain to do some training as we familiarize ourselves with the boat, and begin the loop.

The logistics of insurance, repairs, and boat purchasing are part of the challenge along with education and on the water experience from Austin, which is a few hours from the water.

If we enjoy the lifestyle on the water, we intend to keep on cruising and spend time in the Bahamas. If we don't enjoy the lifestyle, we'll pass the boat on to the next looper with well wishes.

Thanks for your input and I'm eager to connect with Texas sailors and boaters.

There are a lot of us Texas boaters.

My personal feeling is a $100k boat that needs work is a $200k boat that doesn't.

We think the loop is overrated but the Bahamas are not, nor the Gulf Coast. We see families often.

Good luck in your search.

There are two routes, both will cost money.

OPTION #1: Buy a smaller boat, learn the ropes of close quarters navigation, maintenance, enjoy the boat. Then move up, repeat. Finally buy the cruiser that you want. No need for a captain. You'll learn more about systems and maintenance.

OPTION #2: Hire a captain. You'll still have to learn systems maintenance on your own. You'll have less hours and experience with boat handling, despite professional tutoring.

Both cost money. Option #1 is the traditional route and the one that allows you to start having fun on the weekends NOW.

Scook1: I sent you a private message. My home is in Austin, and I know am the proud owner of a 1983 Ocean Alexander 40. Would be happy to share thoughts with you if you'd like!

John

Scook,
Sounds like a fun plan. We had a dirt place in Ft Worth but never once actually had a boat in Texas. One thing you can start with is both take the basic on line class with US Power Squadrons. It’s good info and helps to build your captain resume.
If no previous ownership and jumping into a 40-ish ft boat, you might discover you have no choice but to do training. In that scenario some insurance companies require X number of hours of training signed off by a captain, typically 3-5 days.
In fact a yacht insurance agent might suggest you chat with them before you buy a boat, they might be able to advise you on what you can qualify for… I believe some of those agents are on this forum. Last years storm season, especially Hurricane Ian, did not do us any favors in regards to yacht insurance options.
Even if you don’t do the entire loop, getting from the south up to the Great Lakes is an adventure that will show you some beautiful parts of the country.
To see a somewhat inexperienced but fun young couple looping, search on YouTube for “Scho and Jo” channel and be sure and start from the episode of when they buy their boat.
The only challenge you’ll face IMO is how to manage the small children under certain circumstances. Particularly when anchoring, docking, or catching a mooring ball, depending on the size of the boat it helps to have both adults working together.
Best of luck and happy hunting!

Thanks all, in particular those that are close by geographically. Will lean into some formal education, some Youtube, and work to get on the water. :)

Scook,
Sounds like a fun plan. We had a dirt place in Ft Worth but never once actually had a boat in Texas. One thing you can start with is both take the basic on line class with US Power Squadrons. It’s good info and helps to build your captain resume.
If no previous ownership and jumping into a 40-ish ft boat, you might discover you have no choice but to do training. In that scenario some insurance companies require X number of hours of training signed off by a captain, typically 3-5 days.
In fact a yacht insurance agent might suggest you chat with them before you buy a boat, they might be able to advise you on what you can qualify for… I believe some of those agents are on this forum. Last years storm season, especially Hurricane Ian, did not do us any favors in regards to yacht insurance options.
Even if you don’t do the entire loop, getting from the south up to the Great Lakes is an adventure that will show you some beautiful parts of the country.
To see a somewhat inexperienced but fun young couple looping, search on YouTube for “Scho and Jo” channel and be sure and start from the episode of when they buy their boat.
The only challenge you’ll face IMO is how to manage the small children under certain circumstances. Particularly when anchoring, docking, or catching a mooring ball, depending on the size of the boat it helps to have both adults working together.
Best of luck and happy hunting!

Very encouraging Sledge. I have in fact seen some Scho and Jo, as well as a few others and tend to be impressed by their "Figure it out" attitude.

The small children are whats delaying us at present. Seems prudent to wait until they can more easily be instructed to stay in the cockpit/pilothouse with a PDF on, for both my wife and I to participate in maneuvering/docking etc...

The small children are whats delaying us at present. Seems prudent to wait until they can more easily be instructed to stay in the cockpit/pilothouse with a PDF on, for both my wife and I to participate in maneuvering/docking etc...

....might be safer to throw them in the dinghy...or in the water... (I'm kidding)

PS We bought our 440 Ocean Alexander on Lake Travis....almost pulled the roof off the Emerald Point marina fuel dock when the anchor got hooked on one of the uprights as we backed away...

Last edited:
Who knew I'd get parenting advice as well as boating advice? :) Thanks Rufus. You must have done overland transport to get your OA out of Lake Travis?

Scook, another thing if you're not aware of to get a feel of different kinds of trawlers is to try to attend a Trawlerfest.
Even if you have no plan to buy a new boat, they are a great way to see a lot of different styles of boats and be able to walk around on them and identify what features will be important to you. There is also several seminars at the shows you can choose to attend where you can learn a lot.
When you think about how much $ you're going to spend on a boat, the investment of flying somewhere to a couple shows is a drop in the bucket and can shed light on some nautical pearls of wisdom...

https://www.passagemaker.com/trawlerfest

Who knew I'd get parenting advice as well as boating advice? :) Thanks Rufus. You must have done overland transport to get your OA out of Lake Travis?

Yes, we loaded it at Erikson Marine (next to Carlos and Charlies). Not sure either establishment is still there. This was 2005.

BTW, you can probably get someone to give you some boat handling instruction right there on Lake Travis if you ask around.

ext 13.jpg

Yes, we loaded it at Erikson Marine (next to Carlos and Charlies). Not sure either establishment is still there.

BTW, you can probably get someone to give you some boat handling instruction right there on Lake Travis if you ask around.

View attachment 137006

Thanks Rufus. Your OA has more road miles than many have on the water! :)

Yes, we loaded it at Erikson Marine (next to Carlos and Charlies). Not sure either establishment is still there.

View attachment 137006

RE: Lake Travis...

Sadly, Erickson Marine and Carlos N' Charlies area both long since gone. Erickson changed hands several times, and the restaurant (formerly Carlos N' Charlies), changed hands / management more times that I can even count. Last time I was there, they DID still have the picture of one of the original owners (I heard he was tragically killed in a boat racing accident in Mexico).

One of the primary reasons I left Lake Travis was because there simply were no reasonable boatyards. The boatyard at Emerald Point Marina at one time tried to charge $2500 to haul out a 40' boat. Completely insane.

And while I loved my dock neighbors - the general lack of seamanship on Lake Travis was terrible. "Lake" Travis is really a wide spot in the lower Colorado River. Because it is close to Austin, there are plenty of boats up to 40', with quite a few up to 60'. Many of the larger boats are either ignorant of their own wake, or just don't care, or both. And then there are the hordes of 20-something wake-boats DESIGNED to make as much wake as possible.

The Trump Boat Parade a number of years ago (pre-covid) was utterly insane. The wakes were so bad that they sank 7 boats - again, part due to ignorant/careless captains throwing big wakes, and part due to ignorant/undereducated captains that couldn't handle their own boats, and didn't appreciate the dangers they were in. It's amazing that no one was killed!

So, no reasonable boatyards, stupid people, marinas didn't like live-aboards (I think there may have been one sketchy marina that allowed live-aboard?), and everything was stupid expensive. That's why I got rid of my boats there, and now own a boat on the coast.

While it is possible to get some boating experience on Lake Travis - this is still a little limited. I was only aware of a handful of boats that could begin to qualify as "trawlers". Most had single engines. Assuming you want to go to a twin engine trawler, you can at least get a twin engine inboard (gasoline) cruiser - and that would allow you to get a good feel for handling / docking a twin engine boat. I say "gasoline" because on a 50 mile long "lake" (wide spot in the river), there are maybe 2 places that you can buy diesel fuel. And don't even think of trying to find a diesel marine mechanic!!

Navigation on Lake Travis really isn't a thing. It's a river. They do have consecutive mile markers that alternate red and green colors, spaced roughly a mile apart going down the river channel. But you can't learn how to navigate channels.

Anchoring is "interesting". Lake Travis has a rock bottom, and is a flooded river bed. 20' from shore, you're often in at least 60' of water, so you have to get REALLY close to shore to drop a hook. If you swing during the night, you'll most likely end up grinding on rock.

It's not ALL bad. I had a LOT of REALLY fantastic evenings out with friends, and a good number of wonderful raft-ups. But it's really not the place to try to get experience that would be applicable to doing the great loop.

Well, tell us how you really feel Oak! :)

I jest. Totally understand how its less than ideal. Will consider other options.

RE: Lake Travis...

Sadly, Erickson Marine and Carlos N' Charlies area both long since gone. Erickson changed hands several times, and the restaurant (formerly Carlos N' Charlies), changed hands / management more times that I can even count. Last time I was there, they DID still have the picture of one of the original owners (I heard he was tragically killed in a boat racing accident in Mexico).

One of the primary reasons I left Lake Travis was because there simply were no reasonable boatyards. The boatyard at Emerald Point Marina at one time tried to charge $2500 to haul out a 40' boat. Completely insane.

And while I loved my dock neighbors - the general lack of seamanship on Lake Travis was terrible. "Lake" Travis is really a wide spot in the lower Colorado River. Because it is close to Austin, there are plenty of boats up to 40', with quite a few up to 60'. Many of the larger boats are either ignorant of their own wake, or just don't care, or both. And then there are the hordes of 20-something wake-boats DESIGNED to make as much wake as possible.

The Trump Boat Parade a number of years ago (pre-covid) was utterly insane. The wakes were so bad that they sank 7 boats - again, part due to ignorant/careless captains throwing big wakes, and part due to ignorant/undereducated captains that couldn't handle their own boats, and didn't appreciate the dangers they were in. It's amazing that no one was killed!

So, no reasonable boatyards, stupid people, marinas didn't like live-aboards (I think there may have been one sketchy marina that allowed live-aboard?), and everything was stupid expensive. That's why I got rid of my boats there, and now own a boat on the coast.

While it is possible to get some boating experience on Lake Travis - this is still a little limited. I was only aware of a handful of boats that could begin to qualify as "trawlers". Most had single engines. Assuming you want to go to a twin engine trawler, you can at least get a twin engine inboard (gasoline) cruiser - and that would allow you to get a good feel for handling / docking a twin engine boat. I say "gasoline" because on a 50 mile long "lake" (wide spot in the river), there are maybe 2 places that you can buy diesel fuel. And don't even think of trying to find a diesel marine mechanic!!

Navigation on Lake Travis really isn't a thing. It's a river. They do have consecutive mile markers that alternate red and green colors, spaced roughly a mile apart going down the river channel. But you can't learn how to navigate channels.

Anchoring is "interesting". Lake Travis has a rock bottom, and is a flooded river bed. 20' from shore, you're often in at least 60' of water, so you have to get REALLY close to shore to drop a hook. If you swing during the night, you'll most likely end up grinding on rock.

It's not ALL bad. I had a LOT of REALLY fantastic evenings out with friends, and a good number of wonderful raft-ups. But it's really not the place to try to get experience that would be applicable to doing the great loop.

By the time you get to the Mississippi you will have done most of the Loop and should consider yourself experienced. Most of the books about the Loop advise to skip the lower Mississippi but to end up in Texas you might want to consider it.

I am not from Texas but am considering it. What an opportunity!

Of course there are inherent problems. the most obvious being lack of re fueling stations. There are other drawbacks also, do the research.

pete

We have crossed the Mississippi both ways many times. To me, it is the most dangerous part of the trip.

First you have the current, it can be five knots. The standing waves can be quite large, six foot is common. Ever seen a bottomless thirty foot whirlpool? There is one in front of the convention center regularly.

The traffic is strictly controlled, but very, very, congested. Tankers and freighters doing ten knots plus. They will not give way to you at all.

If you have a propulsion failure or steering failure loss of vessel and life is almost gauranteed. You will be drifting at five knots or more into moored barges or worse and it is just like being run over.

There is no dockage for private boats but at one lock that few are aware of. No fuel docks at all. No way for anyone to bring you parts except by boat.

In addition, the Lock Masters turn around is around 20 minutes, versus 40-45 on the Tenn-Tom. They don't fool around. The wait can be days or you motor straight in, no way of knowing.

Going West to East you do go past Bourbon Street, and it can be scenic. But if you realize what can go wrong, very uncomfortable.

We get quite drunk once it is behind us.

From Houston to the Mississippi the barge traffic is high, but on the ICW the captains are extremely professional and the mood is very relaxed. Most love talking to admirals. The more pronounced her southern accent the better. They have been known to deploy their john boat to aid private boats and crews in distress. True professionals.

The farther East you go the less commercial traffic you encounter, but more idiots.

We'll likely start and end our loop from Florida as opposed to Texas, and intend to take the Tenn-Tom as opposed to the Mississippi for the more southern part of the route.

Will have my wife brush up on her southern belle accent :)

I would find a nice clean fresh water boat on the Great Lakes and then run the loop clockwise to Florida. Use the time to explore the big Lakes, the Canadian canals, the Erie, maybe Champlain, the Chesapeake, etc. Skip the river system.

I agree with Rufus until he get's to "skip the river systems". Not sure how you can do that and complete the loop...

We've traveled (almost) the entire Ohio river, all of the Tennessee and most of the Cumberland rivers. Done the Tenn-Tom several times. The history along the way is worth the trip on the western rivers, especially with small children along to learn from the river towns. We've also crossed the Mississippi twice in NOLA with no drama (maybe we were lucky). I'm actually looking forward to doing the upper Miss. above Grafton and the lower portion to complete that system in a few years.

Enjoy the trip however you choose to do it. It's a great way to challenge yourself and build family teamwork! We're actually starting around again in a few weeks. We are taking a couple of years this time and will include the Down East loop next summer.

Insurance has been a huge issue for new boaters with little to no experience. We Have had people literally turned down because of no boating experience and others told they could only move up 15’ in size from a previous boat.

Then there’s this, my personal boat, a Mainship 430, I moved it from Texas back to my slip in Sarasota replacing a previous boat I had. I was told I had to buy an entire new policy and it was a third more than what I was previously paying in Texas. Hoping that issue with Florida insurance resolves itself in a year or so if that market opens up more to other providers.

Based on previous years l, All of this is Really stupid but a reality you should be aware of. Maybe moot in a few years when you’re ready.

So check into insurance and for shopping don’t overlook our little area in Texas. Clear Lake has the 3rd largest concentrations of bots in the US.

Hi Scook1. If you have not joined the AGLCA you should consider it. The have a dedicated sub-group for families doing the loop that should be able to help with many of the practical issues travelling with kids on board. Paul

Yes the loop is over rated. We bought a 51 ft boat for it, and found it boring.....great nature...but not many real historic cities ...so

instead for 100 K you can buy an excellent Steel 'barge' in Europe have more navigable canals and rivers than the loop, many interesting sites, spend a winter in the center of Paris, or Berlin or Amsterdam. Take the boat south.

I second PaulB's suggestion to join AGLCA. They have twice yearly meetings where you can learn a lot about what you will need and what to expect.

Dutch-barge is correct the river system on the loop is boring; it is setup for business barges, not pleasure cruising. The rest of the trip was interesting to me.

You might enjoy the onfire family youtube channel. Their early videos were about buying boats. I found it interesting to see what features they liked and how it differed from my choices. There are a number of youtube channels in the wild that cover bringing up children on a boat.

I had fun on the loop and you will too.

Mike

We haven’t done the whole loop but what we have done was great. We found it to be very interesting.

Insurance has been a huge issue for new boaters with little to no experience. We Have had people literally turned down because of no boating experience and others told they could only move up 15’ in size from a previous boat.

Then there’s this, my personal boat, a Mainship 430, I moved it from Texas back to my slip in Sarasota replacing a previous boat I had. I was told I had to buy an entire new policy and it was a third more than what I was previously paying in Texas. Hoping that issue with Florida insurance resolves itself in a year or so if that market opens up more to other providers.

Based on previous years l, All of this is Really stupid but a reality you should be aware of. Maybe moot in a few years when you’re ready.

So check into insurance and for shopping don’t overlook our little area in Texas. Clear Lake has the 3rd largest concentrations of bots in the US.

Agreed insurance is problematic, but Scook1 might not have as much a problem if on the loop. The nice thing about doing the loop in the proper seasonal timing is that you can claim to your insurance company you are not in Florida or even most of the SE coast during hurricane season.
Heading north on the loop, you're typically around NYC by June 1st.

Back
Top Bottom