Anchor chain pileup 39 Californian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm relatively new to my 2001 39' Californian. After marking the chain I noticed the chain would pileup in the initial forepeak chain locker before it would make its way down to the large locker under the V birth. The sheer angle of the bow being close to 45 degrees creates a lot of drag on the chain when pulling in the chain. Obviously a straight drop from above the Vberth into the chain locker would be best but not too comfy of an arrangement for someone sleeping in the Vberth. I'm thinking of doing some sort of re-routing to ease the friction issue on chain against hull. Has anyone come up with a solution for this? The chain locker under the Vberth is fairly substantial. Would sure like to be able to make adequate use of it. I'm using 320' of 5/16

Thanks !!!
Keith

What about using a heavy duty PVC pipe as a guide into your larger chain locker? You can heat it and bend it to fit. Or you could line the part that is causing friction with plastic like Starboard or HDMW plastic so it would slide down easier.

I use 2 people to pull chain. One to run windless, one to mind the chain. All my chain goes fwd of the V berth. I use a traffic cone to help wrap the chain. Caution: If not properly stowed chain can pile in a heap. While underway it can fall onto the leading chain then block it from pulling out. A real problem when trying to anchor. I once had to back out of an anchorage and unload 50 ft of chain into the berth. What a mess.

What about using a heavy duty PVC pipe as a guide into your larger chain locker? You can heat it and bend it to fit. Or you could line the part that is causing friction with plastic like Starboard or HDMW plastic so it would slide down easier.

+1 on the starboard. It light just be slippery enough to make it all work. Easy enough to put a piece temporarily in there to see its effect. Wouldn't affect your capacity either.

I bought a thin sheet piece of UHMW. I've yet to install it but I feel it's slick enough to allow the chain to slide into its proper place. I'll let you know the outcome at some point. Maybe not if it does not work!

Same Anchor Chain Problem

The anchor chain (300+ ft of 5/8ths BBB) piles up in the chain locker unevenly causing the windlass to stop working:-( Trying to find a solution that doesn't involve me rearranging chain as it comes down while Ted runs the windlass.

Found a mushroom-shaped device (Douglas Marine "Chain Boy") that could be installed in the chain locker that claims it will force the incoming chain to swirl around thus laying down relatively evenly. Does anyone have any experience with this device? Or any other suggestions? We anchor out most of the summer so rearranging 150'-250' of chain gets old fast! LOL

Thanks for any suggestions or any experience with a device to solve this problem!

Sherry
1991 Californian 52

Last edited:
Many have used a traffic cone, upside down in the chain locker....These come in different sizes to fit your needs.....I have not used one but have read about others having pretty good luck after securing the right sized cone in the locker....

I have the same problem with my 3900 Navigator.....Although it's a straight drop down for the chain, the locker is too small for 100' 5/16 chain and 125' of line.....Will be trying the traffic cone idea this spring....

What are your thoughts about using an 8" mushroom anchor placed upside down over a (reinforced) traffic cone to force the chain to spiral instead of piling up?

We're trying to explore alternatives to spending $350+ for a produc we're not sure will do the job...

Find a friend that has a lathe and make your own cone out of wood. It would probably last for years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom