Old 03-15-2023, 12:15 PM   #15
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Name: Resilient
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
I fail to see why FLIR is recommended if it won't pick out objects in the water, like logs, lobster pots, navigational bouys, etc. Wouldn't those be the main reasons for night vision? I've never used any and am probably missing something, so please educate me.
Its possible to make a case for either one, or neither.

I bought a handheld Sionyx over the winter. With the boat yet to be delivered I can't speak to on the water experience, only stepping into a suburban backyard. Such conditions are ideal with ambient light from homes, and in those conditions it works great.

There are use cases beyond floating debris and crab pots. Buoy markers that have been moved and yet to be updated on your MFD charts, for example.

In theory, the IR versions read temperature differences. Since things like buoys will tend to be still warm from the day's sunlight into midnight they are said to be useful at the end of the day than before dawn. I can't vouch for that. Heavy mist / fog / rain will cool everything, so said to be less useful in those conditions.

LL versions of course need light, so rain / fog / mist hurts performance too. But, one can get an "illuminator" which is an infrared floodlight that paints light ahead that can be read. They have the added advantage of being readable through glass, which IR cannot do. You can mount one inside the pilothouse facing ahead.

In any case, none are perfect. Sometimes helpful, sometimes not. If not, you are no worse off than someone who doesn't have the equipment. If in good conditions, you are ahead of the game. Conditions such as entering a harbor / marina at night some ambient light is likely to be present.

Just don't expect perfection in all conditions.

Edit: For man overboard situations I'd expect the IR versions to be best.
FWT is offline   Reply With Quote