Countertop Laminant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dingy

Vessel Name
Invictus
Vessel Make
1977 Puget Trawler
We have a 37' Puget Trawler (1977) and need a peice of laminant about 26"x26" to match the existing countertop. I'm running into a problem where they sell laminant--the original is a high gloss/solid color (white). Seems most laminants nowadays are a satin finish and the glossy samples are a mixed color. Soon as I show them the sample they say "Oh, that's old school". (so am I ):banghead: Any ideas where we could get a piece? If I could find the right stuff I'd spring for a whole sheet. Thanks for any suggestions.

I ordered 6 sheets of WilsonArt laminate when I rebuilt the interior of the little DeFever to use for galley countertops. One year later I asked the supplier to get me one additional sheet so I could build the table and finish the job.

Ahh, that color has been discontinued says my supplier.

I called WilsonArt tech support to see if they had any way of knowing if one of their distributors might have some in stock.

Turns out they have a section of the company that exists just to handle customers with my problem. They said that they always keep some paper in stock for every color/pattern they have ever made, and that they would custom laminate a new sheet for me and send it to my supplier. I asked about cost - same as any existing stock was the reply

I had them make 2 sheets, and I’ve got one stored in my shop.

My guess is that all the major laminate makers do the same.

Call Formica, WislonArt, and a few others that should show up in a internet search.

I would not have thought that glossy white would be that hard to find, but then I’ve never looked for it.

HTH,

Mike

Last edited:
Mike, thanks for the quick reply. Wish I knew who the original manufacturer was--probably someone in Thailand. I'll check with customer support at Formica and Wilsonart and send them a sample. Sometime the easiest jobs turn into a real fiasco.

I would not have thought that glossy white would be that hard to find, but then I’ve never looked for it.

On a moving boat reflections on a surface and from a surface can cause motion discomfort.

It might be a good idea to use a modern less reflective , but easy to clean surface.

We have a 37' Puget Trawler (1977) and need a peice of laminant about 26"x26" to match the existing countertop. I'm running into a problem where they sell laminant--the original is a high gloss/solid color (white). Seems most laminants nowadays are a satin finish and the glossy samples are a mixed color. Soon as I show them the sample they say "Oh, that's old school". (so am I ):banghead: Any ideas where we could get a piece? If I could find the right stuff I'd spring for a whole sheet. Thanks for any suggestions.

I don't know where you've shopped, but I bought matching laminate for my boat from Lowes. It took a week to get it. They have hundreds of colors and styles available.

I don't know how much trouble it would be, but have you considered replacing the existing laminate and possibly updating at the same time?

Last edited:
Hi Ron, Lowes was the first place I went--they carry floor laminant here but not countertop. I might go back and try a different salesperson--sometime they don't know what they carry. We thought about replacing it all but the rest looks good so thought we'd hold off for a while. I think a less reflective surface would indeed be nice but at this time it's not in the plans.

I have a list of places to check today--someone must carry it. Thanks, Dave

Dave, I have found the counter laminate sheets at Lowe's at the very back of the kitchen section, on the very back aisle that runs along the back of the store. They don't stock a lot of variety but can order other colors. The stores seem to be laid out generally the same... I've also found a lot of laminate options online. good luck.

Thanks Jennifer--I'll check it out. Dave

Hi Ron, Lowes was the first place I went--they carry floor laminant here but not countertop. I might go back and try a different salesperson--sometime they don't know what they carry.

In the kitchen cabinet department. They should have dozens of sample chips from at least Formica and Wilson Art. They may have a few sheets in standard colors in stock, but they can have any of the others delivered to the store in a week or so and there should be several sizes in each color and style.

If you don't get satisfaction, ask for the manager.

Look here for examples of what they can get for you. Look in the store for sample chips to match what you need:

Shop formica at Lowes.com: Search Results

Shop wilsonart at Lowes.com: Search Results

White Laminate

Take a look at Formica 459 White Gloss finish.

Thanks, I'll check on that today. I located a good match at a high end place yesterday from Italy--brand name Abet Laminati, #130 Lucida, But need to buy a huge sheet (like 55"x150") for much more than I want to spend. I'll take the sample and compare it to Formica 459. I'm sure it will be more reasonable. Thanks a lot for the tip.
Dave

I will definitely go with Formica. When I buy my kitchen cabinets last year I used a Formica for my kitchen countertop. It is more reasonable than a other and no doubt about the quality. Talking about a store, I think you can get it from different stores easily also at Lowes. Thou it is not my first choice but may be I will buy it from there next time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom