Debris

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diver dave

Guru
Vessel Name
Coquina
Vessel Make
Lagoon 380
Is it my imagination, or does diesel have more visible particles than gasoline? Just based on looking at my near empty various plastic jerry cans.

Probably biological growth if it has been sitting around for awhile. I don't think good diesel would have visible particles.

Asphaltene is a particulate that precipitates out of diesel fuel over time. I usually think of it as being black, but maybe it appears in other colors.

Ted

If your fuel jugs are clean and have sandy stuff in it after you refuel/empty the jug, you need to find another fuel supplier! Our diesel jugs are totally free of debris of any kind. We don't do anything special to keep them that way either.

You are looking at some bad/old fuel. Don't use it, get rid of it. Diesel should be clear with a red tint for non road use.

pete

I have been looking at clear diesel from Focol in freeport bahamas. Roadside fueling.

The reality is your filtering system should catch any particles. Most diesels have 30 micron primary filters and 10 micron secondary filters. Some, like me run 2 micron. Once your tanks are clean, and you buy clean fuel, 2 micron filters last a long time. I have Detroits with injectors that have parts with tight clearances. That's why I keep my fuel clean. Debris in the fuel causes fuel system wear. I haven't changed an injector in about 12 years.

Some engines like Detroits pump so much fuel they act like a fuel polishing system. How much does your engine pump including the return fuel?

I warn folks behind me before I fire up my 3208T/As beasts. No preheat, so alot of smoke until they warm. In cold weather, it even worse.

Some engines like Detroits pump so much fuel they act like a fuel polishing system. How much does your engine pump including the return fuel?

Is it really that different from other engines? A Cummins QSM11 is 60-70gph, a little Deere 4045 is 40gph, a Deere 6135 is 110 gph, a Scania 13 liter is 80gph, and Scania 16 liter is 106gph.

I think the exception are engines like a Lehman that have total flow barely higher than consumption. Anyone have actual numbers?

Back
Top Bottom