Shift Actuator Fault

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nhislander

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
No Regrets
Vessel Make
Swift Trawler 44
Getting "shift actuator fault" on my starboard motor. Won't shift into forward (reverse works fine...) Transmission on the ST-44 is HS85AE-A.

Fist time it happened I shut down the motors/ignitions and all worked again after re-starting (for a few days...). Now the fault is back and it is consistent "shift actuator fault" every time...

Per a local mechanic's advise I replaced the solenoid ($700+) and no change.

The boat is a 2020 and only has 550hrs, recently changed AFT and filters and all looks perfect to me so I am stumped... Perhaps a communication/electrical issue? Thanks in advance for any info, similar experiences and/or advice you can provide.

Thanks,
Dave

Certainly does sound as though you're experiencing an electrical fault. What is the brand and model of the shifter controls?

Not sure how to answer, the boat is a 2020 so I assume the shifter/controls are Volvo matched/paired up with the D4-300 motors.

Getting "shift actuator fault" on my starboard motor. Won't shift into forward (reverse works fine...) Transmission on the ST-44 is HS85AE-A.

Fist time it happened I shut down the motors/ignitions and all worked again after re-starting (for a few days...). Now the fault is back and it is consistent "shift actuator fault" every time...

Per a local mechanic's advise I replaced the solenoid ($700+) and no change.

The boat is a 2020 and only has 550hrs, recently changed AFT and filters and all looks perfect to me so I am stumped... Perhaps a communication/electrical issue? Thanks in advance for any info, similar experiences and/or advice you can provide.

Thanks,
Dave

Check wiring harness/connections that nothing is burnt, corroded, etc, especially around the engine area.

Usually one might swap parts between engines to test to see if can pinpoint.

Not sure if I read your post right. Did you say you recently changed the xmsn fluid? If so, that's an area to consider. Was the right fluid/oil in it? Is the right amount in it?

Hope that helps. A 2020 boat is basically brand new. The factory (xmsn or boat mfr) should be an easy resource.

Thanks - I was wondering about the ATF change too... I used DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid. Most reading i have done on the ZF transmission suggests DEXRON II or III, but I assumed DEXRON-VI meets (or exceeds) the lower/older ratings?

Electronic controls, not for me!

pete

I have installed a new solenoid and swapped port to starboard. All wires and connections (that I can see/trace) appear fine/new. Two stations/helms and both act the same.

Dave
Check with Alex or Robby at Viage they had a similar issue on another swift that I believe was resolved by replacing the wire harness.

Just thought I would provide an update. Turned out to be the "PCU". Suncoast Diesel replaced the PCU and all seems fine. Unfortunately this was a $4,600 repair... Boat is a 2020 and of course was just beyond the warranty period.

Glad to hear. Suncoast is a good company. I have used them for service for years.

Just thought I would provide an update. Turned out to be the "PCU". Suncoast Diesel replaced the PCU and all seems fine. Unfortunately this was a $4,600 repair... Boat is a 2020 and of course was just beyond the warranty period.

I’m guessing this is why people say Volvo parts are very expensive. At least you got service and are good to go

Back
Top Bottom