Roughwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good call on putting the breaker panels in the column, those cabinet doors work well for this very purpose.
IMG_2892.jpg
IMG_2893.jpg

New member to Trawler Forum, though I’ve read as a guest for years. I’ve cruised mostly around the San Juan’s but will expand my voyaging north this year.
I was happy to find this thread on Roughwater boats. I’ve had my 1982 RW 41 for 6+ years and have lived aboard for most of that time. It’s been a series of ongoing projects and now that I’m retired the list has grown. I think that’s why I love owning a boat; cruising, living, and working on it!
I’d like to be in contact with other RW 41 owners for info on some common issues (leaking windows!).
A previous owner installed a hard-top over the aft deck and the first thing we did was have it enclosed. It is now our favorite 3-season room on the boat!

Attachments

• 009FDBEE-4BD0-4A80-909F-306D2E416A87.jpg
    009FDBEE-4BD0-4A80-909F-306D2E416A87.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 25
New member to Trawler Forum, though I’ve read as a guest for years. I’ve cruised mostly around the San Juan’s but will expand my voyaging north this year.
I was happy to find this thread on Roughwater boats. I’ve had my 1982 RW 41 for 6+ years and have lived aboard for most of that time. It’s been a series of ongoing projects and now that I’m retired the list has grown. I think that’s why I love owning a boat; cruising, living, and working on it!
I’d like to be in contact with other RW 41 owners for info on some common issues (leaking windows!).
A previous owner installed a hard-top over the aft deck and the first thing we did was have it enclosed. It is now our favorite 3-season room on the boat!

Oh wow…now you have made the wife’s head spin with that enclosed aft deck…more projects for me I guess…lol.

LOL! Wait until she sees my galley renovation!

oh lord....lol. I'm open to ideas. I have been doing google searches on our 41's but pretty much come up empty other than ones for sale that do give some ideas.

It looks like you added a fold down extension for more counter space...nifty idea for sure.

Fun project we tagged on to rebuilding the galley, a nice bit of extra counter space and covers the electrical column bottom half. We used the two bottom cabinet doors to cover the end of the new galley peninsula.
Also reframed the fridge enclosure to add more counter above it.
IMG_0616_Original.jpgIMG_0617_Original.jpgIMG_0715_Original.jpg

Fun project we tagged on to rebuilding the galley, a nice bit of extra counter space and covers the electrical column bottom half. We used the two bottom cabinet doors to cover the end of the new galley peninsula.

I love what you did with the galley peninsula! I did similar, with the sink and stove swapped from yours. Although, yours is finished beautifully while mine is …… in progress.
I also have chairs where the dinette was but I didn’t know how to finish the lack of parquet flooring that was under the dinette. What did you do? I also removed the settee, with the same resulting flooring issue.

I love what you did with the galley peninsula! I did similar, with the sink and stove swapped from yours. Although, yours is finished beautifully while mine is …… in progress.

I also have chairs where the dinette was but I didn’t know how to finish the lack of parquet flooring that was under the dinette. What did you do? I also removed the settee, with the same resulting flooring issue.

Thanks! I was never a wood worker or cabinet maker until I owned a boat lol, school of hard knocks!
Yep, our settee is gone now as well, prior owners (bless their hearts) did a lot of framing & construction which was in the WTF?? category.
The parquet teak where the peninsula and old settee were is trashed or just hacked off the subfloor.
I have not been able to find the 6x6” teak tiles with 6 one inch x 6” strips. We did score 30’ of 2”x1/4” teak battens for free so the plan is to make our own parquet tiles…more learn as we go woodworking!

Some progress photos
Last one is where we’re at today, still finishing the area where the settee/dinette was
IMG_5028_Original.jpg61749181602__7E9CE139-3423-427B-9F3F-24C47C63F1C9_Original.jpgIMG_5074_Original.jpgIMG_2913.jpg

Some progress photos
Last one is where we’re at today, still finishing the area where the settee/dinette was

Oh yea, that looks so familiar! I really like your overhang on the peninsula.
The way the Roughwater interior is built is so much like working on a house as it is a boat. I’ve built and renovated houses, so I really enjoy this. Maybe a little too much. I’ve also replaced all of the plumbing and the vast majority of the electrical. I gave up early on trying to replace the parquet flooring. We’re going to install carpet instead. We just went to the boat show: if carpet is good enough for a Fleming 65 it’s good enough for my RW 41!

Attachments

• EE8319CC-6196-4F1A-BCA2-7CD94E517397.jpg
    EE8319CC-6196-4F1A-BCA2-7CD94E517397.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 98DB4565-4673-49DB-9530-FACB2A7B1539.jpg
    98DB4565-4673-49DB-9530-FACB2A7B1539.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 20
  • E7EB91BC-4D56-42A1-93AC-3C9D7E625C57.jpeg
    E7EB91BC-4D56-42A1-93AC-3C9D7E625C57.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
The way the Roughwater interior is built is so much like working on a house as it is a boat. I’ve built and renovated houses, so I really enjoy this. Maybe a little too much. I’ve also replaced all of the plumbing and the vast majority of the electrical. I gave up early on trying to replace the parquet flooring. We’re going to install carpet instead. We just went to the boat show: if carpet is good enough for a Fleming 65 it’s good enough for my RW 41!

Ha ha, very familiar! Like looking at our own boat!
We were thinking about relocating the sink to the peninsula, but we were considering the bit of loss of space underneath. Since we had already bought an almost brand new Seaward oven with no range top, we found the stand alone Eno range which uses very little space underneath. I had penciled the sink opening on the peninsula top already and viola! We decided to put the range there instead…less space loss and much less chance of catching the curtains on fire!
We do have a SS fiddle/pot holder setup which we attach to the range while underway/on the hook cooking.

The parquet is definitely an issue, we’ve bounced back and forth with area rugs, carpet or just making our own parquet. Going to try making our own.

The parquet is definitely an issue, we’ve bounced back and forth with area rugs, carpet or just making our own parquet. Going to try making our own.

Good call on the oven and stove setup. We like all the counter space as I’m sure you do also.
Good luck with the flooring!
And here’s what went in for the settee… My wife went shopping with a tape measure to fit it through the window! Yea, that was a lot of fun.

Attachments

• 6BF6950D-5F7D-4E86-B8D0-309E99E86E98.jpeg
    6BF6950D-5F7D-4E86-B8D0-309E99E86E98.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Good call on the oven and stove setup. We like all the counter space as I’m sure you do also.
And here’s what went in for the settee… My wife went shopping with a tape measure to fit it through the window! Yea, that was a lot of fun.

Very nice, very cozy & comfortable space! Oh yes, the starboard side sliding window on the RW41 is a great feature, we’ve taken out one broken Norcold fridge, a broken propane oven/stove and brought in 2 Isotherm 130s and the new oven through it.
Our starboard settee is actually built in, but not the original. From what I’ve seen, some or most RW41s originally had the SB side settee built in, then many were taken out. I know ours was as at one point the SB side interior bulkhead was planked with teak and the parquet floor tiles are a different pattern than the originals. The current built in settee on ours is rather messily built, with wasted space around the drawers and the parquet tiles still under it. We thought about lifting those parquets to use on the port side but the pattern is different and more importantly, those parquet tiles are almost impossible to lift/remove without breaking them. Still an option possibly…

Some more photos of the sb settee bones and relatively current, plus the drawer cabinet I built where the old port side settee was at the vberth bulkhead. Top of the drawer cabinet is same acacia wood as the countertops with teak fiddles and it hinges open to reveal a large tray storage
IMG_2932.jpgIMG_2931.jpgIMG_2930.jpgIMG_2929.jpgIMG_2928.jpgIMG_2927.jpg

Oh wow @Harmony805. I am very impressed with the layout. Just not sure the wife will give up the original dining area for all that counter space….��

View attachment 136030View attachment 136031View attachment 136032

So I have been looking up hinges online and found these…
Folding Shelf Brackets - Heavy Duty Metal Collapsible Shelf Bracket for Bench Table, Shelf Hinge Wall Mounted Space Saving DIY Bracket, Max Load: 150 lb 2 PCS (10 Inch, Black) https://a.co/d/fAksEIt

Is that what you used for your little foldable counter space extension?

So I have been looking up hinges online and found these…

Folding Shelf Brackets - Heavy Duty Metal Collapsible Shelf Bracket for Bench Table, Shelf Hinge Wall Mounted Space Saving DIY Bracket, Max Load: 150 lb 2 PCS (10 Inch, Black) https://a.co/d/fAksEIt

Is that what you used for your little foldable counter space extension?

Those are similar, but I wanted the arms to be longer and stronger so I went with folding workbench brackets from Woodcraft:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/wall-mounted-folding-workbench-brackets-woodriver

Yeah I was thinking the longer the better as well…

On a separate note I was wondering how everyone has their mains wired. We have two 30A plugs from a 50A pedestal. So should I wire two separate 120v circuits? One circuit that has the Victron Multiplus II that will run the outlets 24/7 and the second circuit for like items that will only run while being on shore power like the A/C unit, both my 3d printers with 4extra spaces as spares.

Yeah I was thinking the longer the better as well…

On a separate note I was wondering how everyone has their mains wired. We have two 30A plugs from a 50A pedestal. So should I wire two separate 120v circuits? One circuit that has the Victron Multiplus II that will run the outlets 24/7 and the second circuit for like items that will only run while being on shore power like the A/C unit, both my 3d printers with 4extra spaces as spares.

My situation: I have one 30amp service. I live where I need heat so I run electric space heaters in the winter at dock. They plug in to cabin outlets. There’s also the water heater, microwave, and coffee maker. Naturally, I can only choose 2-3 at a time. I wish I’d installed a 2nd 30amp service for only the water heater and maybe a space heater outlet for use while tied to shore. While cruising we still have to manage power on inverter circuits, but that’s not too difficult.
Thirty amps doesn’t go nearly as far as we’d like compared to power in our house. Like all things Boat, it’s all about managing resources available.
Also, I turn off my inverter when on shore power in case it’s interrupted. I don’t want my shore power loads running off my inverter. It happened once. Luckily the loads were so large the monitor shut everything down as the system voltage dropped before the batteries were drained too low.

Last edited:
On our 41, we’ve been living aboard for 3-1/2 years now on a single 30a without issue, but we’re minimalists when it comes to electricity. No A/C, thanks to mild SoCal coastal weather in the summer. Winter heat is provided by low draw Caframo space heaters, usually just one at a time, sweaters, an extra comforter & body heat :)

Just boils down to needs/expectations I guess. The RW35 we are rebuilding has (had) 2 Cruisair A/C units, each with its own 30a 120v shore power inlet, plus a separate house 30a inlet…the wiring is (was) a nightmare.

Those A/C units are (were) responsible for 5 extra holes in the hull as well.

Only reason I’m asking is because the Victron does 120v pass through. I figured out the RV A/c unit on the 2nd leg of the 50A service and any other high draw items. Mainly ac will be used for a tv, computer and my laptop….stuff I don’t mind on battery if needed.In FL it gets hot n muggy….I don’t mind but the wife does…

Roughwater paint color

I’m not sure how else to put this question out so it gets to Roughwater owners, so I’m continuing it on this thread. Does anyone know a paint color to match or come close to the factory paint color? The best guess I’ve come up with, although I haven’t bought the paint yet, is Hatteras off-white by Interlux. Have any of you had to match paint color?

Try Interlux Perfection '' Oyster White'' or any one's Oyster White ,that may be the color.

Try Interlux Perfection '' Oyster White'' or any one's Oyster White ,that may be the color.

Thanks! I’ll look for it. Maybe I can find a “40 years worth of fade and dirt” shade of it too!

Paint color

The Rustoleum Oyster White was an exact match for me.

Back
Top Bottom