View Single Post
Old 02-05-2023, 01:08 PM   #70
SeaMoose

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
Might as well chime in

Interesting thread.

For the record I installed my own NextGen 3.5 KW. My middle name is overbuilt and I did just that. 3/4" Marine ply base, epoxied sitting on 4 double thick 3/4" Marine Ply supports laminated together, tabbed to the hull with cloth, 4 coats Interlux Bilge paint on everything, SS hardware, all wiring 8 gauge marine grade to Blue Seas transfer switches rated at 65 A with a 30A breaker on the genset itself.

For a small gennie like mine a standard bronze through hull makes a fine exhaust I've got a 4 foot exhaust run after the lift muffler and the water that comes out is well below boiling. Right at the waterline keeps the noise down. I would not plumb it in line with the engine for fear of backflow into the genset.

I'm very happy with the NexGen although you do have to change the oil frequently and it does run hot and hard with the 16,000 BTU Webasto A/C.

The idea that small used diesel gensets area easy to find must be from another planet it took me three years to find a small used generator that wasn't a piece of junk paid $4k for gen/sound shield/lift muffler/strainer. When I got it the exhaust was made from sanitation hose that was melted, and the water hose between the strainer and the genny came off an aquarium but that's another story...

A properly installed gas generator in the lazarette is certainly doable with enough precautions but when it came time to resell the buyer's surveyor is going to rip it to shreds, and the buyer will be told to run away.

Alan & Darina aboard Sea Moose
You Tube: The Adventures of Yorksie and Me
Home Port on Lake Erie
Currently on the hard in Orange Beach Alabama having the transmission rebuilt
Back on the loop in Late March
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote