View Single Post
Old 02-04-2023, 12:30 PM   #6
O C Diver
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Did you try to turn them?

There's a big difference between turning the shaft and turning the propeller. If you can't turn the shaft grabbing the blades of the propeller, you probably have an issue. Grabbing the shaft and trying to turn it with dry cutlass bearings is very difficult.

Keep in mind, some boats flex when out of the water and possibly not blocked correctly. Also, your shaft and cutlass bearings may be fine, but the engine motor mounts may need to be adjusted.

As a general rule, before I haul out, while sitting in the slip, I turn the shaft after the transmission by hand. Usually I turn the shaft coupling with a wrench first, and then turn the shaft by hand. It's not easy, and will only turn very slowly. It you can't do that, then try turning the shaft with a strap wrench.

I only have one cutlass bearing on my shaft. So with the propeller off, I try to move the shaft up and down, and to port and starboard to check for cutlass bearing wear.

If you're going to have someone else check it, make sure they are a professional with lots of experience. You can throw an awful lot of money at the wrong parts or a problem that doesn't exist.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote