Diesel price

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lostsailor13

Vessel Name
Broadbill
Vessel Make
Willard 36
3.60 a gallon,gonna top off the last 100 gallons on Saturday,should put my tanks at capacity,or very close to 500 gallons,been lumping diesel down to boat for Dickinson and Chinese diesel heater,rather leave the fuel I have onboard for cruisin

$3.60/gallon?
Bargain
Near enough to $1:00/litre

About cdn$1.30/l at the nearby gas station. Marinas are shut down here in Toronto.

That's USD$3.70/gal

Close enough to $6-00 USD/ gallon in Oz at the moment.

That's about a buck cheaper than gas stations here in Michigan.

Jeff, where are you seeing $1.30/l for diesel? $1.78/l is the best I’ve seen north of Toronto.

Jeff, where are you seeing $1.30/l for diesel? $1.78/l is the best I’ve seen north of Toronto.
Really?

OMG, you're right. I was watching it for a while at around $2.30/l.

Sorry for my mistake. I recently came back from a long trip in the US and still get confused about conversions.

When I arrived here Nov 1 I was running on empty. Fuel at the local marina was $2.75/l.

That was just too much for me. I tied up for the winter, installed a bigger service and am running electric for the winter rather than diesel. Think it was the right call.

Last edited:
Ha, I guess we could only hope :)
Our last fill up was in Spanish last fall in the North Channel and I was thrilled to pay $1.98/l for diesel. Sure hopes it drops a bit this summer, planning to do the loop again!

James

Ha, I guess we could only hope :)
Our last fill up was in Spanish last fall in the North Channel and I was thrilled to pay $1.98/l for diesel. Sure hopes it drops a bit this summer, planning to do the loop again!

Yep, me too. Though I use less fuel than most. I know my spring fill up will hurt, just hoping it hurts less [emoji17]

Well, here in Maryland the greed has reached new heights. On-road diesel at 4.49, but home heating oil (with 36 cents tax off it) is being sold at 4.66!!!
A fecal pox on them. I take a drum to the Royal Farms & pump it in. I hope the dollar a gallon they're making goes to their oncologist.

3.60 a gallon,gonna top off the last 100 gallons on Saturday,should put my tanks at capacity,or very close to 500 gallons,been lumping diesel down to boat for Dickinson and Chinese diesel heater,rather leave the fuel I have onboard for cruisin

You might want to post your location, and where that price is to be found. "North" as your location doesn't tell people much. Or am I missing something?

Here is the prices (including tax and also over 100 gallons) that I'm seeing in the PNW.

Anacortes : $5.03
Oak Harbor : Closed ???
Des Moines : $4.19

Hopefully the price will drop some up here.

Tuesday's price at Atlantic Yacht Basin in Chesapeake Virginia was $4.20, tax included. $4.15 for 200+ gallons.

Port Consolidated in Fernandina Beach Florida was $4.48 on Tuesday.

Ted

There is 30 cents of highway tax should come off for non highway use like boats, machinery, etc

Biloxi Dock and Ice is $3.45 listing in Biloxi MS Commerical dock there might be a minimum.

There is 30 cents of highway tax should come off for non highway use like boats, machinery, etc

That tax is no longer significant. When you compare the cost of building and maintaining a fuel dock versus a car or truck fueling station, the volume of fuel pumped at most marinas versus gas stations or truck stops, and the labor costs of a marine fuel dock versus a multi island self service gas station or truck stop, the tax becomes irrelevant. Think about the capital investment cost of fuel (at current prices) sitting for weeks or months in a marina as compared to the gas station or truck stop that's turning their investment over every week and for some, every day. Then there are the volume discounts. How many marinas are committing to millions of gallons per year for volume discounts? Four years ago when diesel bottomed out around $1.50 per gallon, 30 cent road tax was significant. At $4 to $6 per gallon, not so much.

Ted

$2.06.9 /l in Vancouver the last time I filled my diesel car. For some reason the marine fuel in the Vancouver area is the same as at the pumps.

I’m thinking of a trip south of the line to get fuel in Bellingham or Oak Harbour. The last time I filled at OH, it was the cheapest fuel in the north sound.

I understand you can call up a fuel truck in Bellingham to get fuel delivered. Does anyone have any information on that opportunity?

Jim

The "crack spread" is the price differential between crude prices and the sum of the refined products. It is WAY up. The 5 year average spread in January is $15, and today its $42. It exploded up at the beginning of the Ukraine thing. It touched $60 in 2022. At the moment a number of gulf refineries are running below capacity as they shut for maintenance and some other issues. But diesel seems to be more affected than gas.

I have good news! Diesel just dropped under $6/gal, Riverpoint Marina, Stockton - woohoo?

Yeah this is California...

The "crack spread" is the price differential between crude prices and the sum of the refined products. It is WAY up. The 5 year average spread in January is $15, and today its $42. It exploded up at the beginning of the Ukraine thing. It touched $60 in 2022. At the moment a number of gulf refineries are running below capacity as they shut for maintenance and some other issues. But diesel seems to be more affected than gas.

Yes, I’ve heard that the latest moves are related refinery shutdowns and that some refineries deferred maintenance in 2022 due to the war in Ukraine, but cannot defer any longer—that’s the story anyways. Your info on crack spreads is interesting.

Jim

You might want to post your location, and where that price is to be found. "North" as your location doesn't tell people much. Or am I missing something?
But, he`s lost. Doesn`t know where he is,can`t tell us, it`s zero info.

Paid $2.15/L yesterday, at Brooklyn, north of Sydney, NSW, Australia. It`s about "servo"( ie.fuel/service station) price, unusual, usually there`s an impost for service waterside.

For anyone in the area, it was at Long Island/Wharf Rd Marina; good access, good service. Fuel is reputed to be clean and fresh, we`ll see, so far ok.

If their website is correct, Dysart Marine in SW Harbor, ME is currently selling diesel (less than 1000 gallons) for $5.95 plus 5.5% tax.

So how is this not simply profiteering?

Diesel is $7.02 in Dillingham, Alaska at the dock.

Back
Top Bottom