Fuel line fitting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lipets

Vessel Make
Benneteau Swift 42
I'm changing around a few diesel lines

Should I use a thread sealant?

Is it ok to use hose clamps on hoses to nipple fittings?

Mainly because it is so widely available, I recommend Permatex #2 or #14
thread sealant. PTFE tape can cause more issues than thread sealant, IMO.

Loctite 592 is also rated for diesel as are several other Loctite compounds.
Hylomar is another widely used brand.

Hose clamps are commonly used for fuel hoses.

Last edited:
Don’t use Teflon tape on diesel fuel lines, it can let small particles into the system. You can use a sealant on the metal to metal fittings. I have used Permatex and never had any leaks, but make sure you align any fittings properly before it goes off. I figure that if I ever go back to change the fittings I will just use new fittings since they are relatively cheap. I like either AWAB or ABA hose clamps. They are first class clamps.

Depending on your hose fitting would determine if to use sealent or not. JIC fitting or compression no. Fitting with o rings no. NPT thread tapered use some paste or sealent. Brass ends are usually NPT use a sealent. I use Gasolia brand dope on my black pipe runs for fuel.

Yes, it's always good for hose to fitting especially your fuel return line. One fitting I have seen with fuel lines are called pushlock and they do not require hose clamps, but its never a bad idea to put a hose clamp on anyway.

I pinged Steve D'Antonio on best sealant for NPT diesel fuel fittings. He said he'd been using Leak Lock for years.

BTW - on another thread for Defender, some mention was made about Amazon. I've noticed for the last year or so their prices are no longer without question the lowest - pays to shop around. This product is a good example: $21 at Amazon; it's $11 at Supply House, though shipping is only free >$99. I've used Supply House several times - good vendor. My only complaint is one you hit <ORDER> you cannot retract and shipping is fast, but their return policy is good.

Also, at my cabin in the Colorado mountains, I had the local propane company change the regulators to my place. I noticed they coated the faces of the flared fittings with sealant (Rector 5 in their case).

Peter

Leak Lock Joint Sealing Compound.jpg

Last edited:
I use Rector seal #5 on all fuel NPT fittings and never had a leak. Just an fyi… don’t use compression fittings on copper fuel line. It’s against the law. USCG CFR. Only flare.

Is it ok to use hose clamps on hoses to nipple fittings?

It may just be me or your choice of word. A nipple is a short length of pipe with pipe thread on each end. Fuel hoses are installed over hose barb fittings with atleast one hose clamp.

Not saying you won't find a fuel hose installed over a pipe nipple, but they're usually installed by the same guy who made this dock line.

20190831_162343.jpg

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom