Sea of Cortez

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Divealot

Veteran Member
I have a Kadey Krogen 39 and about to take it to the Sea of Cortez. Research shows the sea to be mostly sand/gravel and mud. As you are probably aware there are sudden wind storms which can have 50. - 60 mph gusts.

Currently I have a 44 lb claw (Lewmar), and a 35 lb CQR hinged plow anchor. I am wanting a Vulcan anchor. The charts show the Vulcan 25 to fit my boat which is 55 lbs. wondering if I should go up one size to the Vulcan 33 at 75 pounds. I am not really looking at weight but the surface areas for holding power.

According to the lift scale my boat weighs close to 39,000 lbs wet. I have 400 ‘ all chain rode (3/8” BBB).

I am leaning toward the Vulcan 25. I feel that the Rocna engineers know a lot more than I and in heavy winds I will increase my scope to 7:1 or more if depth allows.

Will a Vulcan 33 look to big on my boat and do I need it? At the moment West Marine has the Vulcan 25 on sale for under $700.

Words never uttered: "Wish my internet was slower." And "Wish I had a smaller anchor" (well, as long as you have an operable windlass).

These don't go on sale too often. I know its an extra $450 for the 33kg beast, but given you're likely spending a bunch on prep, you may want to just bite the bullet on this. Even if you don't ultimately need the extra holding power, I doubt't you'll regret buying it.

Peter

I had a Vulcan on my previous boat in the SoC and it was terrific. Current boat has the original halo Rocna. The choice between the two is more a fitment issue than anything else but you can't go wrong with either.

If you read Rocna's sizing guidelines, you'll see that they are very conservative. Indeed they make their anchor recommendations based on 50 kt winds. If it were me, I'd go with whatever size they recommend and just vary the scope. You'll be fine.

IMO anchors are like fenders, go with the biggest ones you can store and you windlass will handle. You will sleep better with the bigger anchor. And if the bigger anchor holds in the middle of the night, what is that worth?

As said previously, bigger is better. Adding more scope will (may) help but a lot of the anchorages are hard pan/rock under sand/sediment plus other boats or a lee shore to deal with may not let you add more rode. (We spent 5 years in MX).

Seasonally you’ll deal with different winds. From the northerlies in the winter, to the coromuels and chebascos in the spring/summer. We always figured one night a weeks sleep is going to suck because of weather. Having an anchor you can count on reduces that. You’ll love the Sea. :)

Last edited:
I am in the Sea of Cortez, and My friend Doug is right here with me and anchor's his 30 willard all the time as well.

Our opinion is to buy your choice of new generation anchor, and get the biggest anchor you can fit.

I carry a 85 lb mantus on my 4788 Bayliner. Doug carries a 50 lb Rockna on his 30' Willard.

The reality is you are going to be anchoring in 20' of water most of the time.

Your anchorages are going to be sand and siltly sand.

My sailboat is 42000 pounds and I choose the 88 pound Vulcan and 5/16 high test chain. If your using 3/8 high test chain you might go for the 72 pound Vulcan. Heave chain helps hold you as well but heavy anchors help you sleep at night during a blow. Backing down carefully on your anchor helps me as well.

Divealot,

We are at 55,000 displacement and the same chain as you. Prior owners chose a 55kg anchor and it does not move. Happy to be oversized.

Kevin beat me to it, I am not a fan of claw anchors and the cqr is old technology. I have a 25K Rocna, but any of the new generation anchors will make you happy. I use mixed rode, 50' of 5/16" HT chain and 400' of 5/8" nylon. It's been very satisfactory, and I don't need a snubber to get it quiet when I anchor as long as I drop and extra 50' of nylon.

I have spent the past 15 winter seasons in the Sea of Cortez. I anchored our Willard 40 trawler with a Rocna 25kg on 5/6 HT chain plus double snubbers. The strong winds ( which are normally predicted several days ahead) which can gust over 50k never budged the boat. BUT, I back down very strongly on those snubbers. This creates a force greater than any wind.

In the strong northerlies you will be anchored behind headlands so wave action is not too bad.

Do not think that you will be especially safe in Puerto Escondito. The northerlies roar thru there. Get behind an island is you can.

Sell or donate your claw and CQR. Especially the claw.

A few bottoms in the SOC are covered with sea weed that can foul your anchor. With an approaching norther make sure you have a clean bottom. Holding is very good.

Kevin beat me to it, I am not a fan of claw anchors and the cqr is old technology. I have a 25K Rocna, but any of the new generation anchors will make you happy. I use mixed rode, 50' of 5/16" HT chain and 400' of 5/8" nylon. It's been very satisfactory, and I don't need a snubber to get it quiet when I anchor as long as I drop and extra 50' of nylon.

I love my Mantus that I actually bought slightly under recommended size because I anchor in quiet places and I have a Fortress 55 in case of an unexpected blow. I have not even considered using the Fortress in 4 years but it is there. Your situation is different but a Fortress has great holding power at at least 5/1 scope. Yes it is not as versatile as the Mantus in reversing winds. When in doubt go big.

My opinion is you need a reliable anchoring system for the Sea of Cortez.

That means a large anchor. Chain rode if your boat can support it.

The last few nights are typical here. You will anchor and it will be picture perfect.

Then in the middle of the night a strong wind will come up very quickly.
Often this wind will be opposite the gentle afternoon breezes that you set your anchor to.

I have a very accurate annometer on the boat that records average and peak winds. A "normal" night will be 30 knots for a few hours.

Is that every night??? No of course not. But it is often enough that you need to be prepared.

I set my anchor with all chain rode consistantly at 6-7:1 This is really important if you do not want to drag in the nightly breezes.

Having an anchor that will reliably turn and stay set or reset is Vital!
The great thing is the bottom conditios are to dream of. Sand, maybe a few weeds, but mostly a sand bottom.

The big thing is know your anchor, and know your boat.

On our Kadey Krogen 48 we have a Vulcan 40 with 400' of 3/8 BBB chain. So far we have anchored in the Chesapeake, south to Florida and through the St Lawrence and out to the Canadian Maritimes. Our setup has worked well. We tend to go for more scope than less. Twisted Tree said it best. Get the biggest anchor that will fit and that the bow pulpit can support. To ensure the fit on our boat we printed the pattern available on the Rocna website. Pretty neat tool to know for sure. Jim Rincon Feliz

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom