Wiper blades

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaFlorida

Veteran Member
Hello, we own a 2009 Mainship. Unfortunately the existing wipers are not touching the glass. I’m not sure if the existing Pantographic Wiper Arms are adjustable for tension against the glass. It does not look like it.

Also the existing wiper blades are only 16”. After looking up the correct size on this site, looks like they are supposed to be 22”?

Has anyone been able to make the tension against the glass tighter?

Thank you,

Hello, we own a 2009 Mainship. Unfortunately the existing wipers are not touching the glass. I’m not sure if the existing Pantographic Wiper Arms are adjustable for tension against the glass. It does not look like it.

Also the existing wiper blades are only 16”. After looking up the correct size on this site, looks like they are supposed to be 22”?

Has anyone been able to make the tension against the glass tighter?

Thank you,

You need new arms. https://www.amequipment.com/ AM out of Oregon are the wiper system experts. Contact them and they will get you set up.

Usually what happens is the hinge between the arm and the piece that connects to the wiper motor corrodes and stops moving freely. This overcomes the spring tension and will cause this type of problem. If the arm moves easily but just doesn't touch the glass then that might be something else.

Thanks, I found the replacement wiper arms on Defender Marine (Marinco AFI Deluxe Pantographic Wiper Arm (33037A). For a great price $66.00 compared to other legitimate companies. In case I cannot get the tension tight and have to replace them.

I recently switched over to silicone wiper blades on the boat and on my cars. (Except for the rear SUV window which is apparently not available). The difference is measurable and I highly recommend. No squeaks even when the windshield is almost too dry to need them (not that I would hear squeaks on the boat) which can be highly irritating in the cars, and a perfect clean sweep with no vibration or stuttering which can happen with rubber. I estimate them at 30% more expensive and I am pretty sure they will last a lot longer.
~A

I'll second the silicone blades. The PIAA Super Silicones are the only blades I've used on the boat that aren't noticeably degraded after 1 season.

Problem was resolved, after moving the hinges back and forth the blades are now pressed against the glass. I now need to clean and oil the hinge and springs as noted above. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom