View Single Post
Old 01-28-2023, 07:21 AM   #10
O C Diver
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I don't see a boat as comparable to a house unless you plan to live on it. You need some place to live. Either your buying or renting. A boat is discretionary spending.

I can think of few things that can change the cost of ownership as much as a boat. The fluctuation in the price of fuel, dockage, insurance, maintenance materials, and maintenance labor costs can truly crush a long term budget for ownership expenses. There have been several threads on the forum about overall annual expenses as a percentage of boat purchase price. If you purchased a boat 4 years ago, I would imagine 2023 is going to be a painful increase to the percentage of the original purchase price.

I don't finance discretionary purchases, but understand the reluctance to liquidate assets, pay capital gains tax, for something you can easily afford. I can also see the advantage of locking in an incredibly low interest rate and making the payments with dividend income as opposed to selling a steadily growing investment. But my gut feeling is that most people who finance boats can't afford them otherwise, and often can't afford to use them during hard economic times.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote