View Single Post
Old 01-19-2023, 08:58 PM   #1231
Caballero II

City: Santa Barbara Harbor
Vessel Name: Caballero II
Vessel Model: Grand Banks Classic 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
I'd suggest 8 plait over 3 strand nylon. Works better with the windlass and stores easier and flatter as it is much more flexible. Highly recommend New England Rope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Truths View Post
I purchased a 600' reel of Samson braided polypropylene line, and keep it flaked in an Ikea "Frakta" bag, which is dirt cheap on Amazon (2 for $7). It worked perfectly last summer, and is easily stored in the cockpit lazarette. I was not interested in the bag system seen on Youtube, for a few reasons. It only holds 300' of line, which doesn't seem adequate to me. It is a bit too clever and complicated. (After pulling in the line, you would have to take it apart and reflake the two sections separately. I just flake it directly back into the bag and am done with it.) Finally, if I remember correctly, it was way expensive. The Ikea bag is next to free.

The simple "flaked in a bag" stern-tie can be deployed and recovered just as fast as a reel, is light, and takes up no room at all when not in use. And if you come from sailing, flaking the line gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling.
I tend to agree, 300' feet does not seem enough. However, what is the trick to retrieving the line, without doubling it, to retrieving without having to launch the dink to do so? You could double your 600' line and hope you could retrieve without snagging, but that would be the same as building her 300' line with a 600' one and doing the same thing, no?
Caballero II is offline   Reply With Quote