Another new start for Helmsman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll second that, though our boat has only one ACR (on the generator start battery). I am thinking about augmenting the 1-2-Both switch with ACRs to manage charging of the main engine start battery and house bank.

Can you describe the ACR configuration on your new boat?

I will when I get back to the boat. I think you also wanted a picture of the bottom of the PH doors on the outside. Do you still need that?

Embark just embarked on her journey!

Wow,
It really wasnt a dream last night. It just doesnt seem real.

Scott called us yesterday and our 38E is now on a tug heading to Shanghai to Seattle.

Looking forward to embarking in February! In time for lots of practice prior to our summer's journey through the inside passage. Pulling those charts out now!

Our last picture pre-barge.

Tom Jill and Lilly

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow,

Scott called us yesterday and our 38E is now on a tug heading to Shanghai to Seattle.

Looking forward to embarking in February! In time for lots of practice prior to our summer's journey through the inside passage. Pulling those charts out now!

Tom Jill and Lilly

View attachment 135136

That is great news! Things speed up quite a bit now. Everything you have been considering for the boat becomes a decision!

Wow,

Tom Jill and Lilly

THAT

LOOKS

GREAT

Congratulations.

Seems like the whole batch of us posting about our orders on this thread are about to get deliveries. Nothing at all firm but MY ETA is approximately late April.

As my rowdy dog would say, woof woof! Looking forward to its arrival.

It won't be long now said the dog who got his tail caught in the lawn mower! Congratulations! Embark looks terrific! N and L

Congratulations. For the next few weeks you won’t be able to resist checking on the ship’s position. We discovered that you can see the ship’s satellite position without having to pay each day. Open MarineTraffic.com in a web browser, not the app. Find the ship while it is in VHF range. Select “Past Track”. Leave that tab open in your browser. Zoom out far enough to see the ship’s current position. You can refresh. Just leave the tab open on the browser.

We’re now tracking the “BBC Michigan” which is supposed to pick up our errant boat in Port Everglades and transport it back to the west coast where it belongs. It’s now halfway across the Atlantic.

We are happy for you but understandably jealous.

Last edited:
Thanks Doug and everyone!

Some snow delayed the movement two days somewhere either near the factory or barge loading.

Asking scott which ship we have scheduled. Scott just sent a note "Seamax" (which is now near Shanghai)

Seamax -
It says the ave speed is 7.6 knots - that seems slow for a container vessel. Speed it up! I guess it embarks from Ningbo (aka shanghai)? Asking Scott for specifics.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ai...si:538006767/imo:9732606/vessel:SEAMAX_MYSTIC

Both of the container ships we tracked across the Pacific were capable of 20 knots. They may slow down to time their port arrival at the best time. Our ship(s) had to anchor for several days at Busan before a slip opened up. It looks like your ship might be doing the same.

We woke up this morning to a very early email from Scott. He says the contract to carry Alba Bella aboard the BBC Michigan is firming up and he will be there personally for the on loading. Last week he was in Florida for the delivery of a 43. He looked in on our boat and sent a photo of her to reassure us. We’re getting excited all over again.

I can’t imagine the owner of any other company putting in this much effort to make things right.

28403-albums1128-picture7879.jpeg

Last edited:
I see sunshine and palm trees! It looks like you should go test drive it for 2 months.

That idea is tempting but getting all our boat stuff, including our dinghy, to Florida would be a logistical nightmare. The boat is docked within walking distance of the Fort Lauderdale airport. We have been tempted to just go visit her.

The color of the hull is so attractive. I think it will be the only one like that in the PNW!

I have to admit that I am as boat-focused as my dog is treat-focused. I would have been on the plane to meet the new family member wearing flip flops, shorts, a ratty t-shirt, a pfd and an ugly hat (wanting to look native to that part of Florida). But I lack discipline. You two are doing the right thing, as painful as it is. That beautiful boat will be here soon! Hang in there! We are certainly all rooting for you.

The color of the hull is so attractive. I think it will be the only one like that in the PNW!

Actually, Nancy n Larry, Hull 52, went with the same color. We feel like trend setters. Right now, I’d be happy to see it if it was pink.

I have to admit that I am as boat-focused as my dog is treat-focused. I would have been on the plane to meet the new family member wearing flip flops, shorts, a ratty t-shirt, a pfd and an ugly hat (wanting to look native to that part of Florida). But I lack discipline. You two are doing the right thing, as painful as it is. That beautiful boat will be here soon! Hang in there! We are certainly all rooting for you.

That certainly conjured up an interesting image. You have a great way of seeing the humor in our predicament. We’re sorry we didn’t get to meet you in November. We look forward to eventually crossing courses.

Well, we spent the day moving in. The heaviness of the wood, the way the cabinets and doors close, and the lighting all make this trawler feel like it is light years ahead of our last boat.

The amount of space for this size boat continues to surprise us. As veteran boaters, we are used to being careful what we bring aboard, but we really haven’t used that much of the available space.

This is our first night aboard. AC’s are quiet.

Just a nice feeling hanging out on the boat.

Well, we spent the day moving in. The heaviness of the wood, the way the cabinets and doors close, and the lighting all make this trawler feel like it is light years ahead of our last boat.

The amount of space for this size boat continues to surprise us. As veteran boaters, we are used to being careful what we bring aboard, but we really haven’t used that much of the available space.

This is our first night aboard. AC’s are quiet.

Just a nice feeling hanging out on the boat.

We felt the same way when we stepped into Kiskadee the first time !! ??

We had these on our old boat. They make deploying, boarding and exiting the dinghy very easy. With a light tender, a light block and tackle from the boat deck makes tilting it upright very easy. The standoff rods secure it in the vertical position.

https://www.weaverindustries.com/index.cfm/category/6/davits-for-inflatable-dinghies.htm

I am not a fan of Weaver Clips. They came with our GB 36 and obstruct the swim platform. Further, as the dink deflates as they all do, it ends up folding up on the platform and looks unsightly. Further, you have to deal with the outboard engine. When I dropped mine in the water at my marina, I said no more.

So, we switched to putting the inflatable dink on the aft coach roof and used the mast and boom to lift the dink onto its' cradle there. That got old quickly as it took my wife and I about 20 minutes to raise and lower the dink.

3rd iteration, put Rothskelley davits on the swim step for the dink. Not perfect, but way better. Launch in about 1 minute, retrieve in about 5 mins. You lose swim step unless your dink is already alongside in the water, but minimal fuss. I am looking forward to storing it on the boat deck and handle with the hoist.

Your first night on the boat must be magical. We realize you’re going to be very busy getting to know the boat, but we are hungry for vicariously sharing your experience. Having been aboard your boat for about five minutes, I can certainly imagine your impressions. We hope you can find the time to share some photos and some new Helmsman owner insights.

We are getting excited again because we woke up to news from Scott that the contract has been signed to carry Alba Bella home. She could be loaded aboard the transport ship one week from today.

Ditto to Helmsman, love to see pics of happy gloat of your awesome boat!

Doug send a pic of the load in 7 days, congrats!.

I am under strict orders from the missus to refrain from pics until she gets it set up the way she wants it. I will snap a pic or two of the exterior tomorrow if the yard finishes cleaning it up.

How exciting. You will--as we did--listen to every noise on the boat, every motion. Maybe including your spouse stumbling around in the dark to find the !@#$ light in the head (see the Helmsman Hacks thread). And you will smell all the newness of it too. Given the out-of-the-wrapper quality of the boat, this is all going to be fun. We were very lucky that the previous owner took such good care of the boat that it seemed 100% new to us. Still does, as I write this tonight from Seattle (40 degrees and drizzling) with the heater blasting away.

We have had two noises that woke us up. The first was easy to figure out. We have the MagnaSine Inverter. As designed, when on shorepower it goes through a bulk and float charge. As this happens the ACRs connect and all the batteries are charged at the same time. But unlike our Promariner Inverter/Charger on the last boat, the MagnaSine decides to give the batteries a rest after they are fully charged. Takes about four hours. As the voltage drops below 12.8v, eventually the three ACRs disconnect with a loud series of "bangs". That'll wake you up. Then, when the charger goes to the float cycle, the ACRs go off and reconnect, with a bang. Or clunk, I guess. Whatever, you may chase this noise. The simplest solution to this is to set the ACRs to On (on the panel) when at the dock (thanks Van for this tip). But remember to put them back on auto when you leave the dock.

The second noise is our water pump which randomly goes off. It is haunted, but that is for another thread.

Congrats on the new smells and discovery. But I gotta say, we have noticed that we are becoming more fond of the boat the more time we spend on it. That is a very good sign.

Jeff on Off Leash

I'd suggest 8 plait over 3 strand nylon. Works better with the windlass and stores easier and flatter as it is much more flexible. Highly recommend New England Rope.

What he said. I strongly agree. You'll be glad you tried it. Stows like a dream and doesn't get stiff and hard.

Back
Top Bottom